Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I've noticed that I'm having pretty major overheating issues with Yosemite. 2012 MBP, 8GB RAM, SSD.

It gets worse when I leave it and it goes into semi-sleep (screen off, music playing, but still 'awake'). When I would come back, the fan is roaring and the temp reports >95C (That's just shy of boiling point).

I'm a bit concerned it's damaging the macbook...

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
Boiling point of water, not everything. And, if memory serves, the system will shutdown when it hits the high-temp trigger. I can't remember what the temp is for that to happen.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It might probably be a bug with OS X 10.10 Yosemite being a beta version and your system and model configuration. As a developer use the feedback system you have access to and report that bug.

As for the heat, if a modern computer is getting too hot, it shuts down to prevent overheating, even a Mac does that. And while 95° C is hot, it is not the limit.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
There seems to be a current problem with the UserEventAgent process eating up a ton of processor time, which is most likely what's causing people to experience slow downs, battery life issues and could easily account for high temperatures as well.

You might want to enable the CPU activity monitor (I think it's still in Activity Monitor somewhere?), if you notice it getting unusually high then open Activity Monitor and look to see if there's an offending process. If there is, grab a profile of it and report it on http://bugreport.apple.com, then try quitting the process from Activity Monitor; if it's anything important it should just re-launch, but will hopefully go back to normal CPU use. You can also try force quitting if a regular quit command won't work.

There are some possible workarounds, but they involve messing with system files which could cause boot problems instead, so I dunno if I'd recommend that option.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
95 is quite hot and not good for the cpu

If the TDP is 10+ degrees higher, running the CPU at 95c will have no significant impact on component life. In fact, most CPUs made in the last 5-7 years can handle 95c just fine. If it was an issue, Intel would drop the TDP to reflect that.

Reactions: chevalier433

Wrong Turn

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
I was having major issues with CPU temperature skyrocket in DP2, it seemed like it was related to safari. Even more so this site.
It all seemed strange and i have been wondering for a couple of days.
Today i started the activity control and noticed that when temp was going through the roof CalendarAgent was going over 150%.
So i made i wild guess and went into safari settings and erased all notifications (which haven't been working DP2 anyway).
No all of a sudden all temp problems are gone, well i can't tell for sure since i have only been testing it for such a short time.

But can someone else who has temp issues try the same and see it it makes a difference?

But... i have been checking CalendarAgent afterwards, but it still shows high %, but no temp problems.

thefrm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
London
I've noticed that I'm having pretty major overheating issues with Yosemite. 2012 MBP, 8GB RAM, SSD.

It gets worse when I leave it and it goes into semi-sleep (screen off, music playing, but still 'awake'). When I would come back, the fan is roaring and the temp reports >95C (That's just shy of boiling point).

I'm a bit concerned it's damaging the macbook...

Similar problem here on my MBP mid 2012, i am using Macs Fan Control to monitor temps, and on all versions of Yosemite Beta i could see a 10 degree jump in temperature under idle.

Have not tried beta 5 yet to see if the problem is still there.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Similar problem here on my MBP mid 2012, i am using Macs Fan Control to monitor temps, and on all versions of Yosemite Beta i could see a 10 degree jump in temperature under idle.

Have not tried beta 5 yet to see if the problem is still there.

And have you also monitored CPU usage in Activity Monitor? And when you say "10 degrees", is that Kelvin/Celsius or that ****** Fahrenheit scale?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, my 2010 iMac has been pretty bad under Yosemite. Had to crank the fans up pretty hard with one of those Fan Control apps (can’t remember the exact one, but it doesn’t matter), whereas normally I could set an automatic temperature to start upping the fans. (I replaced the internal hard drive in it after it failed which pretty much requires you to use a manual fan override).

I also have resorted to turning down the brightness when I’m not using the computer (but still have torrents running). Haven’t had any shut offs since DP3, where I would get it regularly when watching videos on Plex.

In DP5 the coreduetd process seems to be constantly hogging CPU. Never saw this one until now. Anyone have any idea what it does?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Doesn't everyone under the sun use Celsius for computer temps?

If that were the case, I wouldn't ask, and since this is an US centric message board, many temperatures are still reported in that stupid scale, thus my question. And sadly even a temp difference of 10 degrees F is not the same as in C or K.

But then again, the US is still the wild west with all its guns and glory and imperial units. Cannot let go of old habits, but hey, the downfall is near.

thefrm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
London
If that were the case, I wouldn't ask, and since this is an US centric message board, many temperatures are still reported in that stupid scale, thus my question. And sadly even a temp difference of 10 degrees F is not the same as in C or K.

But then again, the US is still the wild west with all its guns and glory and imperial units. Cannot let go of old habits, but hey, the downfall is near.

Sorry my bad, forgot to add Celsius! I live in Europe , where mostly Celsius is used.

These are roughly my regular temps under light usage with Mavericks ( image attached )

Yosemite on the other hand had a bump by 10 degrees Celsius under the same circumstances.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 14,955
Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry my bad, forgot to add Celsius! I live in Europe , where mostly Celsius is used.

These are roughly my regular temps under light usage with Mavericks ( image attached )

Yosemite on the other hand had a bump by 10 degrees Celsius under the same circumstances.

Your OS X 10.9 Mavericks temperatures are well within the limits, the additional 10° C you experience in OS X 10.10 Yosemite are also well within those limits.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

thefrm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
London
Your OS X 10.9 Mavericks temperatures are well within the limits, the additional 10° C you experience in OS X 10.10 Yosemite are also well within those limits.

Thank you for the info good sir.

I wasn't worried as i am familiar with the temps, was just putting the information out there, hehe.

Will wait for Yosemite GM to see if things change.

mikelny24

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
Overheating problem

This never happen before but apple has to solve this problem fast before peoples laptops and desktops start exploding! this is my experience with Yosemite Beta 6. :apple:

Attachments

• Overheating .png
    Overheating .png
    39.3 KB · Views: 755
Nov 28, 2010
located
This never happen before but apple has to solve this problem fast before peoples laptops and desktops start exploding! this is my experience with Yosemite Beta 6. :apple:

Yes, they surely gonna explode with 157° C, which is over 50° C over the limit they are designed for (105° C), but then again, you probably still use that Fahrenheit scale, which then means, that your computer is warm, not hot, as 157° F are a lousy 69.44° C (that is why there is the Dashboard, to convert all those stupid imperial units to logic).

As you haven't read the thread yet, here it comes again: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

Ativus

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
California
I Installed iStats Menus to combat the heat

i decided to find a way to Manually Control the Fan Speed. iStats Pro gave me control over the fans and it's been a lifesaver. The temp is monitored int he menu bar, if i notice it rising above normal a simple click on the menu will adjust the fan speed setting. I go back to doing my work and the temp falls to normal levels.

The Sensors module in iStats is what controls and monitors the temp & fan speed.

DSeeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Pelham, AL
Mac Mini late 2012, 16 GB RAM, Thunderbolt display, running PB2. Normal operating temperature is 130 F at the CPU die as shown by iStat Menus. If I let the OS sleep the display (I never sleep the computer itself) after a while CPU usage goes to about 40% and temperature goes to 190 F (as shown by the 1 hour history of iStat Menus.) The fan also rises from 1800 RPM to around 3700 RPM.

If I don't let the display sleep, temperatures and CPU usage remain normal. There is no way to check for the guilty process using the Activity Monitor when the display is asleep and as soon as it wakes up CPU usage goes back to near zero.

I have reported this to Apple.

DSeeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Pelham, AL
Mac Mini late 2012, 16 GB RAM, Thunderbolt display, running PB2. Normal operating temperature is 130 F at the CPU die as shown by iStat Menus. If I let the OS sleep the display (I never sleep the computer itself) after a while CPU usage goes to about 40% and temperature goes to 190 F (as shown by the 1 hour history of iStat Menus.) The fan also rises from 1800 RPM to around 3700 RPM.

What a long, strange trip it's been. I've gone PB1 -> DP5 -> DP6 -> PB2 -> DP7 and finally the overheating problem has been fixed. I had hoped to get off the DP merry-go-round at PB2 but the overheating problem was bugging me. Now I plan to switch to PB3 as my last stop before the release version.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
In DP5 the coreduetd process seems to be constantly hogging CPU. Never saw this one until now. Anyone have any idea what it does?

I had this problem almost since the beginning of DPs, but it seems to be solved now (at least, for me) since DP6 or 7.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
My biggest problem is that iStat5 is a flop and fails to allow the fans to be controlled automatically.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Interestingly I find my system running slightly cooler with Yosemite. In Mavericks some things (particularly PSU) would clock around 70c. At the moment the highest seems to be just over 60.

(Boiling point of water btw is 70c but that's nothing for some computer components)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.