Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
081440 said:
OMG!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding!! That kind of thing is what destroys a free market economy....which is what our economy is. If you do not like the price than complain to Apple and tell them to change, that's called freedom of speech.... or are you the kind of person that would like that taken away too!?!?! :mad:

meow

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Its great they changed to DVI from VGA, but am I the only one who's thinking "Why MiniDVI?"
There is definately enough space for a full size DVI port on the side. I guess now that the MacBook supports screen spanning they need to think of more ways to make people want the Pro model over the consumer model. The use of DVI without a dongle may be one of them.

OR

We may be seeing even smaller models in the future, that have a real need for the miniDVI port, and so thats why they are keeping it in the lineup.

Bsresponsive1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
Westborough, MA
I got a black macbook but...

The freaking "r" key sticks...to the point if you press hard it takes a minuite for it to come back up.

I am pissed, and they are out of stock now :mad:

Besides that, the screen is the nicest thing I have ever seen. Compared to 2 of my vaio's w/xbrite it destroys them. The brightness, color, and backlight are perfect.

No noises or whines, the case is perfect (it is like black aluminum). So once I get a new one that works I will be perfectly happy.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
jamesi said:
i would have expected something a lil lighter since this is apple, but are you really going to complain about lifting 5 lbs? imagine how much more money they would be if apple made them 3-4 lbs
exactly! 5lbs is not too bad... I can live with it easily...

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Well, this macbook was worth the wait 100%. Fantastic little laptop, simple as that. Having seen the pictures and all, the white looks better than the black. But I think i'll wait for rev b. After all, I guess that many people who bought the mbp already feel a bit strange today, not just about the mb, but also about the speed upgrades on mbps. I think we are going to see much more interesting upgrades from apple, even this year.

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
At 7 pm, they had 30 low end MBs in the Miami store. Just one demo model of black and no faster versions of white. I bought a white for my daughter (graduating h.s.) and it's nice. No whine. Nice magnets. Great display. New cool extension thing on the dongle I had never seen. Keyboard keys and trackpad are fine. <1 minute to set up and surf wireless. Automatically takes your picture for account icon. Great form factor. A pleasure to look at and use.

Gatezone

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Austin
Heavy, heavy, heavy...

jamesi said:
i would have expected something a lil lighter since this is apple, but are you really going to complain about lifting 5 lbs? imagine how much more money they would be if apple made them 3-4 lbs

Yes. I'm not a complete 'true believer' and when I pick up 3-4 Duo Sony's with great specifications I look at the 'great innovator' that can stuff a 60Gb Drive and a video screen into a tiny video iPod and I shake my head. I was ready to go pick up one of these but I think I'll hold off. I don't need a heavy system to lug around. If you've ever had the chance to carry a really light weight laptop it's hard to go back. I don't see the point of a 13 inch system that weighs, really 6 pounds! A 2ghz, 13 inch laptop that weighs 6 pounds. What's wrong with this picture?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
other said:
From http://looprumors.com/macbookphotos.php:
IMG_0359.jpg
WOW SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooooooooo Nice!

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
MacBook Ordered!

All done and dusted finally...:rolleyes:

MacBook (white), 13.3-inch, 2GHz Intel Core Duo
Part Number: Z0D5
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6231
512MB 667 DDR2 - 2x256MB SO-DIMMs 065-6232
80GB Serial ATA drive 065-6227
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 065-6307
Country Kit 065-6313
Keyboard & Mac OS 065-6235
Ready to ship: 3 - 5 days

Now need to sort out this RAM...:rolleyes:

PS: Anyone after an 12" iBook G4 1.33/1GB/60GB? Offers welcome ;)

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
macbookwhine said:
I just replaced the ram in my 1.83 GHz MacBook (for more capacity) and I noticed the ram module that came with the MacBook read:

256MB 1Rx16 PC2-5300S-555-12

Does this mean they're 555MHz ram with CL of 12?

That just means it has DRAM timings of 5-5-5-12.. pretty normal for PC2-5300 at this stage in the game.. though 5-5-5-10 would be nice... ram isn't all about clock speed you know...

Gatezone

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Austin
Heavy, heavy, heavy...

Gatezone said:
... I don't see the point of a 13 inch system that weighs, really 6 pounds! A 2ghz, 13 inch laptop that weighs 6 pounds. What's wrong with this picture?

And if the thing runs hot while 'flexing under its own weight' we'll really have to call the emperor on his new clothes. I mean whats the point we're just subsidizing Apple's transition to what every other PC innovator already has. I guess it's just the pent up frustration releasing... I don't want to upset any true believers.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
STRAIGHT FROM APPLE CANADA http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook/wireless.html

MacBook offers up to 6 hours of battery life. (2.5 hours of DVD playback, 3.5 hours with wireless turned on.) Here’s how to squeeze out every last second of battery power when you need it.

* Turn off AirPort and Bluetooth if you’re not using them
* Disconnect peripherals not in use
* Quit applications not in use
* Eject CDs and DVDs not in use
* Choose Energy Saver in System Preferences, click the Show Details button, and:
o Select “Better Battery Life”
o Set MacBook to sleep after five minutes (or less) of inactivity
o Put the display to sleep after five minutes (or less) of inactivity
o Check the box next to “Put the hard disk to sleep when possible”

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Wait, i dont get it. People, this is not an ultraportable supernotebook like the so called thinkpads and dells you keep screaming. The MacBook is a consumer/prosumer notebook and is a hybrid of both the 12" PB and 12"&14" iBooks...both of which werent pro notebooks (dont tell me the 12" PB was because if you really think about it....it isn't). Apple does not offer ultraportables yet, so get over it.

The MacBook as a competitive prosumer/consumer notebook, is very good package...yes it lacks a discrete video card but the integrated graphics is better than the nVidia you're all crying about and is overall a solid card. If you need more power buy a MacBook Pro, if you need more battery and ultraportability sans optical drive..get a thinkpad stop attacking a product for not being what it wasn't even built for in the first instance.

Sheesh....and i thought i was a moaner.

Gatezone

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Austin
ppnkg said:
Well, this macbook was worth the wait 100%. Fantastic little laptop, simple as that. Having seen the pictures and all, the white looks better than the black. But I think i'll wait for rev b. After all, I guess that many people who bought the mbp already feel a bit strange today, not just about the mb, but also about the speed upgrades on mbps. I think we are going to see much more interesting upgrades from apple, even this year.

Amen... maybe rev "D" I applaud the early adopters who pay for the experience so the rest of us can wait.

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
I guess they're just keeping all consumer level computers with mini-DVI and the pros with full sized.

The iMac has a mini-DVI connector and there certainly is enough room for a full sized one on that!

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
chatin said:
They feel is a bit light weight, but heavy as ever! The thing flexes a little under its own weight.
I tried to get mine to flex under its own weight but was unable to duplicate your experience. What in the world are you talking about?????

And you know what? Regardless of physical weight (which is not much), this baby is long and sleek and balanced like a fine knife. This is not a toy.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
First, there is no whine in my MacBook. My MacBook is very quiet. My Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz is louder than my MacBook.

As for heat, the bottom gets pretty warm from the processor (2.0GHz model), but even with shorts on I can put the thing in my lap (bare legs) and it is tolerable. I think if this were aluminum I couldn't do that, so that is one benefit of the plastic enclosure.

NOW, ON TO HARD DRIVE INSTALL.

These photos below show just how easy it is to install the drive. The hard drive is NOT a user installable part, but the memory is (per the User's Guide). The User's guide tells how to remove the L-bracket that is covering the memory (and hard drive area). Once the L-bracket is removed, then the hard drive is exposed as well as the memory. The two memory slots are to the right/top of the battery compartment in my photos -- the little levers sticking out are how you release the memory if you want to upgrade. The hard drive has a white tab attached to the drive caddy. The tab is tucked underneath the drive (MacBook is upside down, and so is the drive, so the HD normally sits top-side up during use).

Simply pull out the HD using the tab, and viola, you can use a T-8 driver to remove the 4 hard drive screws, put the thin drive caddy on your new drive, tighten the screws, and you are ready to go. Very, very simple. Just make sure to put the drive in the same way you took it out, top side down.

Click thumbnails for larger image. :) Second photo I forced the flash, which is why it looks better. Let me know if you have other questions or want more photos.

Gatezone

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Austin
daneoni said:
... If you need more power buy a MacBook Pro, if you need more battery and ultraportability sans optical drive..get a thinkpad stop attacking a product for not being what it wasn't even built for in the first instance. Sheesh....and i thought i was a moaner.

Chill. It's called discernment. Using one's attention to see that there are some elements of the systems coming out are not what was expected. If you are saying that only professional nonconsumer systems can have better features what does that mean? All I want is a lightweight, small, portable, Mac. I'm telling you all you have to do is pick up one of those luxury ipod videos to know that the technology exists *now* to produce the necessary consumer and professional tools. It's a first base hit. Hopefully there will be a better hitter up soon.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
mkrishnan said:
Well, Mini-DVI seems like a natural step from the Mini-VGA that was on the iBook before....

Yeah, but it was mini-VGA in the previus iBook not only for size reasons, but also esthetic reasons. a VGA port just looks legacy, like a serial port. Apple is all about dropping legacy technologies before everyone else, and adopting new technologies early. A full size DVI port is on the MBP pro, i dont see the reason to not have a full size one on the MB.

Gatezone

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Austin
ImAlwaysRight said:
First, there is no whine in my MacBook. As for heat, the bottom gets pretty warm from the processor (2.0GHz model), but even with shorts on I can put the thing in my lap (bare legs) and it is tolerable. I think if this were aluminum I couldn't do that, so that is one benefit of the plastic enclosure.

Great pictures can't wait for the hard drive install.

Does this mean the plastic doesn't disappate heat as well, more contained in the main "chamber?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.