Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
This Was A Post Commenting On A Post About Pictures

I am looking specifically for ImAlwaysRight's Hard Drive Install Pictures. And I never said it was anyone's responsibility. But if you're gonna make a post about someone else's post, I think it's only good manners to include the links to that post. ESP when you press submit and your post shows up 5 pages forward from where you were.

Gatezone is a newbie who cut out the links to the pictures he was commenting on in his post. This is not about being entitled to pictures. It's about posting correctly. They are below and originally Post #1299 on page 52.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
Pricing good

I think the prices are good. I was really scared that they would be $1300-1700. I'm getting the $1099.00 model.

mdavria

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
So, I bought a MacBook today and then realized -- I have no install CDs for Microsoft Office. Does anyone have any good ways of getting a copy? The last one a I bought while in college and it was only $5. I am not willing to pay a few hundred for it again. Any ideas?

ih8pc

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
MacOSRumors has a problem

They keep saying that it's gonna still be called iBook & now there they're saying that THERE'S GONNA BE a MacBook Thin & a MacBook Gamer
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Multimedia said:
I am looking specifically for ImAlwaysRight's Hard Drive Install Pictures. And I never said it was anyone's responsibility. But if you're gonna make a post about someone else's post, I think it's only good manners to include the links to that post. ESP when you press submit and your post shows up 5 pages forward from where you were.

Those links you put up above have nothing to do with what I am looking for. They are HARD DRIVE INSTALL PICTURES POSTED BY ImAlwaysRight. And I can't Find THEM anywhere.

it's post number 1299. i think page 52. and it took me 2 minutes to find it. i hope it's what you are looking for.

it's tempting to buy the standard macbook and put a 7200rpm disk in right away.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
AppleInsider is INCORRECT ... first on MacRumors forum, 01:54 PM!!! :D

Apple's MacBook sports user-replaceable hard disks

By Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal
Published: 04:00 PM EST
First on AI: Owners of Apple Computer's new MacBook consumer notebooks will find that upgrading or replacing the computer's hard disk is as simple as adding more memory.

vs.

ImAlwaysRight said:
Upgrade The Hard Drive Yourself ... Its Very Easy

So I'm halfway through disassembling it to put in a 100GB 7200RPM hard drive when I could tell the hard drive slides right out through the battery compartment! :rolleyes: The drive is plainly visible when you remove the battery. I saw it initially, but though no way you'd be able to just slide the thing right out, so I didn't even try. LOL So don't get a hard drive upgrade from Apple, folks! Upgrading the hard drive is a piece of cake, even easier than installing the memory!

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Multimedia said:
EXTREMELY INCNSIDERATE OF YOU NOT TO INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE PHOTOS IN YOUR QUOTE. Or at least you could have said what post number they are on. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE ORIGINAL POST FOR AN HOUR in this impossible maze of over 1300 posts and 53 pages. Thanks for nothing Gatezone. :mad: :( :mad:
Post #1299 ;)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Post #1299 Page 52 ImAlwaysRight Installs Larger Hard Drive

ImAlwaysRight said:
First, there is no whine in my MacBook. My MacBook is very quiet. My Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz is louder than my MacBook.

As for heat, the bottom gets pretty warm from the processor (2.0GHz model), but even with shorts on I can put the thing in my lap (bare legs) and it is tolerable. I think if this were aluminum I couldn't do that, so that is one benefit of the plastic enclosure.

NOW, ON TO HARD DRIVE INSTALL.

These photos below show just how easy it is to install the drive. The hard drive is NOT a user installable part, but the memory is (per the User's Guide). The User's guide tells how to remove the L-bracket that is covering the memory (and hard drive area). Once the L-bracket is removed, then the hard drive is exposed as well as the memory. The two memory slots are to the right/top of the battery compartment in my photos -- the little levers sticking out are how you release the memory if you want to upgrade. The hard drive has a white tab attached to the drive caddy. The tab is tucked underneath the drive (MacBook is upside down, and so is the drive, so the HD normally sits top-side up during use).

Simply pull out the HD using the tab, and viola, you can use a T-8 driver to remove the 4 hard drive screws, put the thin drive caddy on your new drive, tighten the screws, and you are ready to go. Very, very simple. Just make sure to put the drive in the same way you took it out, top side down.

Click thumbnails for larger image. :) Second photo I forced the flash, which is why it looks better. Let me know if you have other questions or want more photos.

Thank you so much. :) IAR do you have any pics of you taking the assembly off the small hard drive and putting it on the larger one? Do you have a picture of what the hard drive connector end looks like? Is it sort of like an Airport Card connector or what?

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
ih8pc said:
They keep saying that it's gonna still be called iBook & now there they're saying that THERE'S GONNA BE a MacBook Thin & a MacBook Gamer
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM

Does anyone listen to them anyway? seriously?

They are about as credible source as my left shoe.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
epepper9 said:
Post #1299 ;)

haha! too slow.

maybe we should make ImAlwaysRight posts a sticky. I just hope he's right when he says there are no heat and whine issues. well he's always right so forget about that.....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
andiwm2003 said:
it's post number 1299. i think page 52. and it took me 2 minutes to find it. i hope it's what you are looking for.

it's tempting to buy the standard macbook and put a 7200rpm disk in right away.

It took me four minutes to find. So Andi is faster (and she rocks). ;)

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Multimedia said:
I am looking specifically for ImAlwaysRight's Hard Drive Install Pictures.
Post # 1299, found here. Didn't mean for your veins to go bulging and all. As long as you haven't been exposed to gamma radiation (think Hulk) I think we'll all be OK. :D

andiwm2003 said:
I just hope he's right when he says there are no heat and whine issues.
For the record, all I've done so far is to test the stock hard drive and put in 3 others that I am installing the Mac OS onto and testing. I haven't even used any real apps yet! But installing from the DVD is hard drive intensive since it writes all the time, the optical drive is spinning, and the processor is probably working some too. Give me a chance to do some video editing in a few days and that will be the real test. But so far no whines or heat issues with what I have done so far. It's definitely going to take a few days at least to determine if there are any issues, if not weeks.

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
andrewm said:
Not to sound uppity or anything (I have an iBook myself, not a PowerBook), arent Intel Integrated Graphics what you'd *expect* on the MacBook?

Although the Pro may not have it yet, it makes sense to me for the Pro machine to also be the gaming machine, and for the pro to have "really good" graphics capabilities. The MacBook (non-pro) is a student machine; an amateur's machine; a machine to be used in bulk. I'll probably get flamed for this, so apologies for feet on which I may tread, but: although I'm sure it will be standard one day, the machine does not at this time need graphics from ATI or nVidia.

My complaint is that it has a single button without a split for both right- and left-clicking. Curse you, legacy-of-the-one-button-mouse! At least give people a choice! (And not everyone wants to tote about an external mouse.)

Not to say that I wouldn't love for the computer to rely on non-integrated graphics, instead, but... why are people complaining?? It has what you'd expect from a computer at it's level, doesn't it?

Ditto on the first part - Integrated is fine for the MacBook

And FYI it does (in a way) have a two button mouse. to use it you just put two fingers on the pad when you push - functions the same as a right click

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
andiwm2003 said:
maybe we should make ImAlwaysRight posts a sticky. I just hope he's right when he says there are no heat and whine issues. well he's always right so forget about that.....

Actually... ImAlwaysRight, would you consider making a stub in the MacGuides Wiki for this? It's really useful information.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
my thoughts...

went down to the apple store, looked at one of the 3 black on display...

The keyboard is much nicer than the flimsey old ibook ones.

The screen does have glare, but considering it's size, if you are using it, it shouldn't be too bad, it does help with contrast. (I would NOT get the gloss on larger MBP systems. That would be asking for eyestrain).

I was somewhat underwhelmed with the finish of the case. looked a little cheap in the flat black, kinda like a care with black primer. But, it could grow on me. I suspect it will show marks, especially greasy figerprints.

the size/weight are not really an issue for me. But it's certainly not an ultrlight by any means.

I may buy one, but, I'll wait a while.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Multimedia said:
EXTREMELY INCNSIDERATE OF YOU NOT TO INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE PHOTOS IN YOUR QUOTE. Or at least you could have said what post number they are on. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE ORIGINAL POST FOR AN HOUR in this impossible maze of over 1300 posts and 53 pages. Thanks for nothing Gatezone. :mad: :( :mad:

I think you could have done it the simple way too Multi. Just find any post from ImAlwaysRight and look for his last posts. I m sure you would`nt need to go through more the 40 posts this way. Much better than the odd 1300 you are claiming.

But this is not to say that Gatezone was right at all. He should`ve quoted the pics too. makes it much easier to the rest for the rest of the posters. But I think on a great day like this one, EVERYTHING GOES.

Oh sh#t. Man. Will I never learn?:eek:

me354

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
amazon rebates

Amazon offered rebates on the imac and macbook pro does anyone know if they'll be offering something similar with the mackbook...
and when?

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
ImAlwaysRight said:
For the record, all I've done so far is to test the stock hard drive and put in 3 others that I am installing the Mac OS onto and testing. I haven't even used any real apps yet! But installing from the DVD is hard drive intensive since it writes all the time, the optical drive is spinning, and the processor is probably working some too. Give me a chance to do some video editing in a few days and that will be the real test. But so far no whines or heat issues with what I have done so far. It's definitely going to take a few days at least to determine if there are any issues, if not weeks.

Hi, I've posted this before but with this traffic...
Let me know if you're selling one of your 7200 rpm drives as I'm getting the stock 2.0 Macbook and will have to change the hd for audio purposes. Thanks!:)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
wildmac said:
The screen does have glare, but considering it's size, if you are using it, it shouldn't be too bad, it does help with contrast. (I would NOT get the gloss on larger MBP systems. That would be asking for eyestrain).
I was somewhat underwhelmed with the finish of the case. looked a little cheap in the flat black, kinda like a care with black primer. But, it could grow on me. I suspect it will show marks, especially greasy figerprints.

has anybody tried these 3M transparencies that you stick to the screen. they supposedly make the viewing angle much narrower so that nobody see's from the side what you are working on? maybe those are a remedy for too much glare when you are working outside?

also is the white macbook matte or glossy?

andi

MustardMan

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Multimedia said:
I am looking specifically for ImAlwaysRight's Hard Drive Install Pictures.

(snip)
Gatezone is a newbie

Wait, so you couldn't use the search function at the top of every thread to find a few pictures, and someone else is a newbie? Right.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
has anybody tried these 3M transparencies that you stick to the screen. they supposedly make the viewing angle much narrower so that nobody see's from the side what you are working on? maybe those are a remedy for too much glare when you are working outside?

also is the white macbook matte or glossy?

andi
I believe they are called "privacy screens" or "privacy films" or something. The white MB is glossy.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
It just dawned on me where I have seen the new style of rubber feet that Apple decided to use: they are used on the iPod mini plastic belt clip!

Im definately a big fan of the new feet style, i always hate when people spin my laptop around on a desk without lifting it, as i just know it will be pulling the feet off the bottom.

And i just realised that my previous post was #1337! Bitchin.

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
powerbook911 said:
I think the white is better. It is more Apple. Plus, it will show scratches, smudges, fingerprints, etc. less.

The black is a matte finish and looks awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.