Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Is there a way to see how many computers are connected to my Airport Extreme and what their IP is?

I want to do this so that I can set up my PC as an Apache2 server and then connect to it with my MBP.

Thanks for all and any info. :)

Eric

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Open AirPort Utility. Double-click your Extreme base (or click and hit cmd-L) to enter Manual Setup. Under AirPort -> Summary you can then see the number of Wireless Clients. And if you click on the "Wireless Clients" text label, you can see more details, including the client's MAC addresses:

Picture-1.jpg

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Open AirPort Utility. Double-click your Extreme base (or click and hit cmd-L) to enter Manual Setup. Under AirPort -> Summary you can then see the number of Wireless Clients. And if you click on the "Wireless Clients" text label, you can see more details, including the client's MAC addresses:

View attachment 79489

Thank you for the info. I was able to find it.... although, it took me a sec to find out that I was able to click on the label.

So, I found the MAC address, but that doesn't help me since I need an IP address to enter into the browser.

You wouldn't happen to know how to do that, or? :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ok.Which Airport Extreme Base Station do you have?

Is it the new one.The .n ?

Next to the Internet Connection tab is a tab called DHCP.Look at that one and let me know what ts says.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Just found this thread when looking to find out who clients are myself, didn't notice "Wireless Clients" was click-able either, that's bad interface design from Apple!

Anyway, the DHCP tab will be greyed out or useless (empty) if you are using your airport base-station in bridge mode, most likely if your airport express is connected to an ethernet router for example. This is what my set-up is basically.

But that doesn't help in finding out IP address and/or machine-name. Is there another way this information could be obtained? As I have some "clients" showing up on my airport express that aren't showing up in my router (i.e they're connected to the base-station but haven't been given an IP by my router). I suspect it's simply another wireless computer connecting to the wrong base-station (I have two for better signal strength on different floors of my house) and my XBox 360 which is plugged into the ethernet port (but switched off), but it'd be nice to check remotely rather than having to copy each machine's MAC address!

GeodesicGnome

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
bridge mode

FYI, in bridge mode the IP addresses are handed out by the upstream router, so that would be the place to go for them. Right now I'm using Clear for my ISP. They use (right now) a Motorola WiMax CPE router, which has a web interface. The Airport Extreme will give you the address of its upstream router in the Internet/TCP page. I pointed my browser to that address and got the WiMax CPE's login page asking for a password. A quick google for the default password for this kind of router and I was in. Being careful not to change anything, I was able to navigate to a very helpful page which showed the IP addresses and host names of all the computers in the house which were using the internet through it. You might be able to do this, depending on the router your ISP has given you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.