Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Who else is having the "negative black" screen issue on their iPhone?

Mine was purchased a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the problem while watching the movie "Serenity" (before the iPod Touches even arrived in stores). I wasn't sure what to think of it, until the issue blew up in the iPod Touch forum.

You can check to see if you have the problem by looking at this image on your iPhone/iPod Touch (make sure you're looking at it straight on, and not from an angle):

Jay-z-black-album.jpg

If the parts of the image that *should* be solid black look brighter, then you have the problem. (this thread shows an example of a bad screen)

I'll probably be taking mine back in to the Apple store tonight or tomorrow to try and exchange it.

Update: I also found this thread on the Apple discussion forums about the issue:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1139221&tstart=0

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Ive noticed on videos that have alot of dark scenes that I have to hold it as a slight angle or else there is a shimmer to many parts of it. IMO its not that bad, but at what point is it unacceptable?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Ive noticed on videos that have alot of dark scenes that I have to hold it as a slight angle or else there is a shimmer to many parts of it. IMO its not that bad, but at what point is it unacceptable?

Well, on mine if I want to watch a movie I have to tilt it back 10 - 15 degrees before the dark areas look normal. I think having to view things at that sort of an angle for a decent image is unacceptable.

The iPhone works so well in every other way, that it does seem to border on nitpicking to complain... so I'm sure it will be a personal choice for those who do have the problem. I'll be using my iPhone a lot for watching videos - so I'm hoping to get a screen that's better.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Well, on mine if I want to watch a movie I have to tilt it back 10 - 15 degrees before the dark areas look normal. I think having to view things at that sort of an angle for a decent image is unacceptable.

The iPhone works so well in every other way, that it does seem to border on nitpicking to complain... so I'm sure it will be a personal choice for those who do have the problem. I'll be using my iPhone a lot for watching videos - so I'm hoping to get a screen that's better.

The iPod Touch users are getting theirs replaced. I would imagine that iPhone users can too...

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Guess its pretty safe to say mine has an issue. One pic from straight on, one from an angle. Brightness was turned up all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_3732.JPG
    IMG_3732.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 242

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
Guess its pretty safe to say mine has an issue. One pic from straight on, one from an angle. Brightness was turned up all the way.

That sucks dude... does it help if your brightness is turned down?

Do you notice anywhere else on the phone ie. home screen or apps?

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Just to let you guys know my iphone (bought one week ago) also has this issue! I've even went back to the apple store today and exchanged for a new one and it as well has the same issue.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, yours definitely has it. :eek:

Thanks for posting the pictures - that more clearly shows the problem than most other examples I've seen.

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
Just to let you guys know my iphone (bought one week ago) also has this issue! I've even went back to the apple store today and exchanged for a new one and it as well has the same issue.

Ok, what screen is it? 7 or 5 series. call *3001#12345#* and go to Versions, there you will see an LCD Panel ID.

oh and go get another one, and keep doing it till they fix this stupid issue.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Ok, what screen is it? 7 or 5 series. call *3001#12345#* and go to Versions, there you will see an LCD Panel ID.

LCD Panel ID : 7455232

On both phones with this issue.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

that number doesn't work for mine, I guess for obvious reasons.

You can tell by the pic though. Mine's a closeout 4Gig model ($299) which has a much earlier screen. It's flawless, though, no checkerboard or anything that has been mentioned...

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Just to follow up what was asked earlier. Typically, I dont use with my brightness all the way up. I usually have it set to about 1/3 to no higher than 1/2. I just turned it up to make this more noticable. If I have the brightness down to where I typically keep it you can barely even see JayZ in that picture from straight on.

To me, it really isnt that big of an issue. I just have to tilt the phone a few degrees to make out those dark scenes clearly. But...not only do I have the negative issue, I also have a dead pixel which is clearly visable in the first picture I posted (reposted pic with that marked). That I was just going to live with as well, but maybe since I have 2 separate issues I shouldnt.

Are there iphones out there with absolutely NO negative black screen? I just assumed this was a product of the LCD and the viewing angle. And no, its not noticeable anywhere expect when I watching movies.

Attachments

• pixel.jpg
    pixel.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 231

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Just took a few more pics. This is at my regular brightness setting, about 1/3.
Again, first straight on, 2nd at a slight angle.

Attachments

• IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 197

p8ntballguy

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2006
I have the issue too. If i go the applestore what should I tell them. Anyone else try yet? What did they do?

thanks

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
I got my iPod touch a week agaland i looked at the blach ablum and it looks inversed and reflective I have a week 37.

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
I have the issue too. If i go the applestore what should I tell them. Anyone else try yet? What did they do?

thanks

Tell them to make things right the first time, stop using the public as R&D and give me a new phone.

or.

my screen is broken, can I have a new one pls.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

Oh duh, I forgot the * at the end.

I have a 5755136, 4Gig, bought last week, according to serial number, week 29. No issues. Sorry, cheap camera, pic on phone looks perfect straight on, no negative blacks until at an extreme angle.

Attachments

• myiphonescreen.jpg
    myiphonescreen.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 207

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007

thanks

No point in going to the apple store. Like I said before, I went to the apple store today. I clearly explained the issue (negative blacks), since it is really bright in the apple store the rep didn't see any issues with my phone. However, he allowed me to do an exchange anyway. Upon opening and testing my new iPhone I was disappointed as it had the same exact issue with displaying black colors.

This leads me to believe that all new iPhones have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.