Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucifix

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
Mat,

I am surprised you are still hanging on to the first gen iPod.
I do remember offering you a price for the iPod previously that was too low, but I finally managed to grab hold onto one of these. The thing is, I noticed that our iPod's packaging are different, care to explain why?

So many models are out there that it confuses me.
Pardon the heavy watermarking on the pictures, I have to prevent it from being stolen by scammers.

1326864786_fdb1592443_o.jpg

1325970729_378c6fcee4_o.jpg

1326869624_8abeb4a637_o.jpg

Gerald

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I noticed that our iPod's packaging are different, care to explain why?

His is a first generation iPod, and your is a second generation iPod.

This picture (not mine) shows all the (pre-2006) iPod boxes:
164505248_bb8f116b16_o.jpg

iLounge has an great article detailing the history of the first 3 generations of iPods here.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I absolutely love the 1G iPods, I wish there was a way to get a 5G inside a 1G.

I've had a few iPods, but always sold them as I've gone on.

My first was a 3G 15GB which got squashed, then I moved on to a 4G U2 iPod, and now I have a 5G 30GB and an iPhone.

Out of all of them, I think my favourite was the 3G. I liked the colour of the U2 iPod, but I never liked the back of it.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Matt,

I do remember offering you a price for the iPod previously that was too low, but I finally managed to grab hold onto one of these. The thing is, I noticed that our iPod's packaging are different, care to explain why?

Pardon the heavy watermarking on the pictures, I have to prevent it from being stolen by scammers.

Gerald

Gerald,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but yours is actually part of the second generation of iPods.

I did have that same iPod about a year ago sealed just like yours but ended up selling it then. I didn't know at first why the package was different either until a bit of research and help from my friends here on MR. You may have actually offered me something for that one back then. Dont get me wrong, it's still worth a pretty penny but isn't the ideal one for a collector (IMO). The one I have now, I've never offered up for sale. I will hang onto it for a good while. I've also had another 1G iPod one in mint condition, but with no packaging and recently sold it to springlakebob. Now I'm on the hunt for another one with no packaging so I can actually play with it!

A bit of an explanation:
When the second generation iPods came out in 2002, with the touch wheel, apple kept the 5GB scroll wheel iPod around, but put it in second generation packaging. Essentially its the same iPod, but a few things are different:

The first generation box doesn't say the storage capacity on it because there was only 1 iPod out at the time of the original, and it wasn't necessary. The same goes for the back of the physical iPod.

Also, the font is different both on the box and on the iPod itself. The first generation iPod font was a different type than the iPod's now and also yours. (sorry I don't know the name of the iPod font...) You can see by comparing my picture and yours.

One more thing, the first generation was never made for windows only for mac. The second generation of iPods came out with a choice between the two.

I hope I helped. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

lucifix

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. Do you mean you have an actual SEALED first gen iPod with you right now? That is cool if you did.

One thing I am still unsure of, is that I thought that instead of being gen 1, this iPod is gen 1.1, reason being that,

when the first ipod was introduced, it was gen 1, and also mac only.
then came along another ipod, same model same looks, same physical spedifications, but was windows compatible.

then came the second gen ipods that had the electronic scroll wheel, the one that does not move. I have read up so much on it and some websites seem to differentiate the generations by the physical scroll wheel.

there might be some ambiguity in the generation naming, but the one I have right now with me is definitely the second model of ipods introduced, and may or may not be the first generation of ipods.

by the way, i hope you don't mind me asking you but could you email me at geraldino DOT 10 AT gmail DOT com, the price that your ipod (the one in the picture) sold for?

Thanks for the help :)

Gerald

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Check out the link above...posted by Tom B. It clears things up pretty well.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. Do you mean you have an actual SEALED first gen iPod with you right now? That is cool if you did.

One thing I am still unsure of, is that I thought that instead of being gen 1, this iPod is gen 1.1, reason being that,

then came along another ipod, same model same looks, same physical spedifications, but was windows compatible.

then came the second gen ipods that had the electronic scroll wheel, the one that does not move. I have read up so much on it and some websites seem to differentiate the generations by the physical scroll wheel.

there might be some ambiguity in the generation naming, but the one I have right now with me is definitely the second model of ipods introduced, and may or may not be the first generation of ipods.

by the way, i hope you don't mind me asking you but could you email me at geraldino DOT 10 AT gmail DOT com, the price that your ipod (the one in the picture) sold for?

Gerald

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Check out the link above...posted by Tom B. It clears things up pretty well.
Hi Matt,

Gerald

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Mat,

Gerald

Yours may actually be a second generation (or 1.1 generation) Windows one - hence the different package (says "Windows" on it).

Still need to get a pic of mine up...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I used "Buy It Now" for $125 Shipped...

I have an old 3rd Gen 10Gig and a 5th Gen 60 Gig, but this one is my collectible one.

5Gig 1.1 Gen for Windows. I bought it on eBay back when the 3rd Gens were out. I thought I'd just buy an older one, but complete in box.

The couple that had this one won it in a contest. They had a Windows machine and thought they can use it, but found out you need FireWire. Back then, hardly any Windows PC's had FireWire, so it sat in the box. They decided to sell it, so they opened it up :mad: just to check it and posted it with "Buy It Now" for $125 shipped. :)

Good deal I thought. I got it, opened only the top part of the iPod's wrapper to hook it up to my iBook G3 at the time. It reformatted it for Mac and sync'ed.

Then, I thought, "you know, these might become collectible", put it back in the box, then bought a refurbished 3rd Gen 10Gig which just became available from Apple.

Everything is still unopened inside with the packaging/twist ties.

Good thing I did that... :p

NOTE: Had pics up but realized scammers may use them to post on eBay... will post after watermarking them...

Okay, here they are...

Attachments

• macrumors ipod.jpg
    macrumors ipod.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 467
  • macrumors ipod 2.jpg
    macrumors ipod 2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 554
  • macrumors ipod3.jpg
    macrumors ipod3.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 483

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
My iPods

Here's a picture of my small iPod collection. Really the Touch is all I use. I used to have the original black Nano, but it died and Apple took it back :(

Heh...after looking at them again. It was before DST switched that I even used the iPod or Nano...

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I wish I had the same will-power as you! With all of those beautiful new iPods out, you're still satisfied with what you have...that is awesome!

Thanks. I have a limited budget for tech toys so I was holding out for 12 or 16GB before upgrading. And since Apple didn't deliver the size I wanted (in a nano) I decided to roll my own.

Cheers - Greg

davedecay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
PA
I don't collect, but I repair & sell to friends (and sometimes online).

Just got a 1st gen in the mail today, has the typical scratches but the screen is fine and it works. No box, sadly, but it did come with the AC charger & a white Apple FireWire cable.

I won't tell you how cheaply I got it. ;)

I need a logic board for a color "4th gen" (photo/color) if anyone has one of those to get rid of; not for me, but a friend's co-worker.

MacNewbie03

macrumors regular
My "collection" is small, just a 16 GB Touch and a 1 gig White Nano. Since I got the Touch, I don't use the nano at all. I've got someone intrested in it but I was an idiot when I bought it and had it engraved with my name.:( Does anyone know how to get rid of the engraving in a way that will not destroy the back all together??

tangledweb16

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, over the past year and a half I've bought a lot of iPods (too many for my own good) and here they are in the order that I Bought them in.

Wow, bad sentence up there, but anyway.

iPod shuffle 2nd gen. silver (gave away)

iPod video 5.5 gen. 30Gb black (gave away)

iPod nano 2nd gen. 2GB silver

iPod nano 3rd gen. silver 4GB (gave away)

iPhone 4GB (stolen)

iPod nano 3rd gen. black 8GB

Well, there's my legacy.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just have an 80gb 5.5G and a 2G Shuffle. Best of both right there :) high capacity against durability and "ease of use".

I've had a 3G and a Mini 2G. But sold them on. And a ROKR :D

A very nice collection you have too :)

Jecko024

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
My collection is ....

:apple: Touch 16GB
:apple: 5G 30GB
:apple: Photo 40GB
:apple: Shuffle 1GB
:apple: Nano 1G 2GB

SOLD:
:mad: 3G 40GB

and I must include...
:D Black Zune

May post a pic later .... if I don't forget to charge my battery

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I don't collect, but I repair & sell to friends (and sometimes online).

Just got a 1st gen in the mail today, has the typical scratches but the screen is fine and it works. No box, sadly, but it did come with the AC charger & a white Apple FireWire cable.

I won't tell you how cheaply I got it. ;)

I need a logic board for a color "4th gen" (photo/color) if anyone has one of those to get rid of; not for me, but a friend's co-worker.

My friend might still have his old 4th gen photo/color with a bad hard drive (it boots, but errors out after syncing a bunch of stuff).

PM me if interested...

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Very nice so far...however, there is no way I have the biggest current collection of iPods here. I remember reading about members with a whole bunch of iPods.

Keep the pics coming!

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I'm an aspiring iPod collector I guess, only 3 so far :eek:. Wish I had the money to get every iPod that ever came out. Hopefully I can a 1G one before they're all gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.