Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
So, since my collection continued to grow, I bought some display units in Ikea. Today an original Apple Store display unit with 3rd gen iPod Nanos that I ordered online arrived in the mail and I immediately put it dab center .

View attachment 835942 View attachment 835944

nice, nice, nice collections and exposure.

I have a question for you:
have you removed the batteries from your ipods?

I'm doing it, because over time some have swelled and could break the devices as happened with my iphone 3g.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

I'm doing it, because over time some have swelled and could break the devices as happened with my iphone 3g.
This was my great fear when I owned a large iPod collection (I no longer own any BTW). But most iPods can be easily damaged when opened, removing the batteries would be quite the undertaking depending on the size of your collection... Any luck so far?

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
This was my great fear when I owned a large iPod collection (I no longer own any BTW). But most iPods can be easily damaged when opened, removing the batteries would be quite the undertaking depending on the size of your collection... Any luck so far?

So far I have correctly disposed of all the batteries, I have not done any damage except for some aesthetic marks on the edge of some.
However, if you want change battery on ipod nano 4 and 5 gen you have to perform a very delicate and complex process that leads to damage very easily and finding a 4th or 5th generation nano with a working battery today is a big challenge.
I still have 2 ipod nano 5gen with the battery inside, but it's practically exhausted and I'll have to get rid of it sooner or later.
Also the ipod touch still has battery, but sooner or later i'll have to open it to do that but i don't like working with glued devices.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So far I have correctly disposed of all the batteries, I have not done any damage except for some aesthetic marks on the edge of some.
However, if you want change battery on ipod nano 4 and 5 gen you have to perform a very delicate and complex process that leads to damage very easily and finding a 4th or 5th generation nano with a working battery today is a big challenge.
I still have 2 ipod nano 5gen with the battery inside, but it's practically exhausted and I'll have to get rid of it sooner or later.
Also the ipod touch still has battery, but sooner or later i'll have to open it to do that but i don't like working with glued devices.
To break a cable is bad enough but the collection is mainly for display so any marks are annoying as well. I have replaced some batteries, also Nano 4G. But a 1st gen iPod or something more special like a U2 iPod would and did make me very nervous. Oh well, part of collecting tech I suppose. My old computers were not without risks either.

Reactions: Mark.g4

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
I don't have a first generation ipod, but all the polycarbonate ipods I've found are much easier to open than the latest aluminum and steel ipod.
Older ipods are simpler, have more space, and tend to flex more.
Ipod 6 and 7 generation, on the other hand, are hard and difficult to open, you need to know the technique and know where the closing clips are located.

I agree with you, ipods are also to be seen so it's bad to see signs or whatever.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2023
I want to start collecting and modifying ipods. What is the best model for starters?

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium

I haven't because they all still work and I like to check if they continue to do so every now and then, but it worries me to no end that one might suddenly leak and my house'll burn down

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
I actually found a new shiny ipod 5 seller has good ratings and all accessories are included but is expensive.
I don't recommend these "new" iPod sellers, often they're shoddily refurbished in my experience (like with the wheel not fitting exactly or having a slightly different texture etc.)

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2023
IMG_0148.jpeg
I actually found a new shiny ipod 5 seller has good ratings and all accessories are included bu.
I don't recommend these "new" iPod sellers, often they're shoddily refurbished in my experience (like with the wheel not fitting exactly or having a slightly different texture etc.)
Not new. Used. But i will change the shell anyway.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Not new. Used. But i will change the shell anyway.

Shiny because the user swapped the front cover.
White iPod with a front black cover.
I would check the side edges to see if there is any damage from the replacement.
A chinese new front cover with built-in click-wheel costs around 30 buks, keep that in mind too.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2023
Shiny because the user swapped the front cover.
White iPod with a front black cover.
I would check the side edges to see if there is any damage from the replacement.
A chinese new front cover with built-in click-wheel costs around 30 buks, keep that in mind too.
I know he changed the shell…. I always wanted a custom shell anyway so im not gonna use the one the seller included

KD24

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
HI - first post here and I hope I'm not breaking any forums rules so I'll ask first but I recently bought the contents of an abandoned storage locker that's not been touched for at least 10 years - one of the things I've found is a boxed and sealed first gen ipod Nano. I've looked on some sites and of course ebay comes up but I've no idea if/how valuable/collectible this would be. Happy to post pics but is this the best place to do that? I've also found some other apple items like boxes for macbook pro iphone 3 and 4, and keyboard - would these also be collectible. Thanks in advance for any help and hope you don't mind me posting here.

Edit: just gone back a few posts and saw one about checking via the serial number if its been activated (?) I'll look into that, though I am flying a bit blind...

Edit Edit - I put in the serial number and this comes up and I've added some box pics and the cellophane etc is pristine so its absolutely never been opened

1696604446544.png

Attachments

• nano1.jpg
    nano1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 44
  • nano2.jpg
    nano2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 42
  • nano4.jpg
    nano4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 44
  • nano6.jpg
    nano6.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 35
  • nano5.jpg
    nano5.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 36
  • nano3.jpg
    nano3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

KD24

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
HI - sorry if I've crossed a line of some sort regarding forum etiquette etc - as I said in my first post I'm not au fait with forum rules etc - I think I've been accused of being a scammer and I understand the caution. I appear out of nowhere with this nano that seems too good to be true (?) but all I can say is I'm completely genuine - to the uninitiated this site would seem to be a better place than the likes of ebay to get an idea as to value and desireability. I'm not an apple collector (though I do have a pile of old iPods including my first gen2 though none are working) and I genuinely don't know if this could be characterised as a once in a lifetime find, an amazing find, a good find, a nice to have. All I see is posts on ebay of people with something similar going for, what, nearly four figures!?!

So if possible and I haven't been banned - can I ask that no-one give me a number or value - can I just get some insight into is this actually a very rare/interesting/exciting/ok/average find??

KD24

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
Actually - now I've posted here I might was well ask a few things - so my 2nd Gen (10GB) I lost the original charger years ago, I do have a second hand firewire but is it advisable to try and charge it up after all these years, it was actually working the last I remember. Then I have a 3rd and 4th gen but for both of them I think the hard disk has come unseated - can people recommend a good repair service as I'd like to try and get them all working again?

Attachments

• ipods.jpg
    ipods.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 53

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
One thing I wish for from 2000-2008 was to never burn CD-Rs & DVD-Rs for music and video and instead just buy an iPod, HTPC & PopCorn Hour.

With CDs & DVDs if you buffer underrun it is ruined and there is no warranty. iPod, HTPC & PopCorn Hour you can get warranty or it has a scrap value that you can get some money back when you upgrade.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
since there's no more new iPods, I've been adding iPhones too for a while now :) today I added the last missing color of the iPhone 7 ^^

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: sunapple

Nate455

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
As many of you probably are, I too am an iPod collector. It's hard to explain the feeling of getting a new iPod, eventhough you know there's no need for it:rolleyes:

...my iPhone is pretty much the only thing that gets use nowadays, but I still find myself trying to find a way to get the next one :D

Here's a thread to that you can creatively show your precious collection. I for one have my collection displayed as such...
Very nice collection

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Actually - now I've posted here I might was well ask a few things - so my 2nd Gen (10GB) I lost the original charger years ago, I do have a second hand firewire but is it advisable to try and charge it up after all these years, it was actually working the last I remember. Then I have a 3rd and 4th gen but for both of them I think the hard disk has come unseated - can people recommend a good repair service as I'd like to try and get them all working again?
The old iPods are pretty repairable using stuff from ifixit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.