Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by carletonmusic
I missed it by 4 days and am not paying $19 just to ship it...

Agreed it's pretty outrageous that new buyers have to pay $19 to get the programs they were "promised" back in Jan.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Yep I ordered a mac out the special deals section on Tuesday the 3rd, I got it this Saturday and it did have a copy of iLife 04 in it, in CD version and DVD version. Even though the Apple people told me it wouldn't be in there.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
My sister ordered an iMac 17" around 5 days after Macworld. She didn't get it. I've told her to call and ask about it but she is the type that is happy with what she got compared to the plague ridden Windows box she had.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Hmmm, got my first PB on 6 Jan (as soon as the keynote speech confirmed no new PBs)... it was a lemon so got a replacement one on 6 Feb. No iLife 04 in it tho.

Have just convinced my sister to buy an eMac, ordered on Saturday so hopefully should arrive with iLife 04 for her. If so, will use that instead of paying 'shipping' for another copy for myself...

And no, I wouldn't usually agree with 'borrowing' software but since I should have it anyway...

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
maybe its just for macs you buy in Apple stores, but didn't it come with it before? My friend bought a pb 2 or 3 weeks ago in an Apple store, and it had the new iLife with garage band dvd and cd in it. . . . .

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Re: iLife Shipping with New Macs

Originally posted by Macrumors
.....iLife '04 comes free with all new Macs.

The big question is "Where ARE the new macs?!?" I'm still waiting for those rumored upgrades. But what else is new.

I think Apple wasn't able to keep it's MWSF promise of all macs shipping with iLife'04 because people like us were all waiting for the upgrades and held off on purchases and that slowed down the sell-down of inventory and the new macs with iLife couldn't get into the stores soon enough.

Oh well. At least, better late than never. And better Mac than not.:)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Agreed it's pretty outrageous that new buyers have to pay $19 to get the programs they were "promised" back in Jan.

"promised" to ship in February. Note the detail called: February. Get a grip and deal with it its $19 if you couldn't hold off until then tough. :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This will be another great program to look forward to with my new Power Mac G5. Hopefully I can by Fall.

jeffgarden

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
Miami
I ordered my powerbook last thursday and the tracking says it'll be here this Thursday. You think i'll get iLife '04 with it ?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
"promised" to ship in February. Note the detail called: February. Get a grip and deal with it its $19 if you couldn't hold off until then tough. :rolleyes:

Although it is only $19, that's still almost half the price of iLife! :eek:

I'm a little dissapointed it took this long, but what can you do. I didn't buy a computer, so I didn't get hurt, but whatever.

P-Worm

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
Ok, here's my question though.

The lowest end education ibook only has a CD-rom, but Garageband is on the ilife DVD. So is there some exception with Garageband being on CDs in this case? Or can the CD-rom ibook simply not use Garageband?

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Now the real question -- will they ship with the next (10.4) version of the OS?

The iApps have been included in each OS release, and in general, have been used as selling points perhaps as much as the OS itself. Not to mention that OS upgrades almost always break the existing iApps. If they don't include an iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto with the next OS, they might need to come up with a few extra selling points.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Afraid not.

I bought a refreshed eMac from an Apple store a week ago for my girl friend. It only had a cdrom in it, but I was going to swap out a cd-rw drive anyway. So paying $500 was not a bad deal with a student discount on top of it. To my surprize it had both Panther and Jaguar disks in it, and a copy of iLife '04. Panther wasn't loaded on though, they were upgrade disks, so I put those on. I was puzzled oh how to install the DVD iLife on a dvdrom-less machine. I just made an image of it in diskutility with my powerbook and transfered it on over. Mount and install.

On a side note. The education iBook with a cd-rom is a rip off. You get half the memory of the upgrade, and you don't get a combo. Plain and simple, get the extra memory for another $50 and a combo drive for FREE if you do the upgrade. But if you've already bought... so sorry.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
Originally posted by jeffgarden
I ordered my powerbook last thursday and the tracking says it'll be here this Thursday. You think i'll get iLife '04 with it ?

I ordered my powerbook last thursday too. Just got it yesterday, and it did come with iLife.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by coolsoldier
The iApps have been included in each OS release...
Except for iDVD. I see that you know this, since you mention iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto, but I don't want others to be confused. There have been complaints about iDVD's exclusion in Panther, so I'd expect it to be excluded again, even if iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto are included. Depending on who you ask, iDVD was excluded either because it was too big or because it didn't apply to all users since it depends on hardware. So to add to your question, would we expect GarageBand to be included if iTunes/iMovie/iPhoto are included, or is there a reason it wouldn't be treated as part of the package for the next major O.S. version?

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Localcelebrity
great, now if they could just put out some new hardware, i'd be interested

Yup, no wonder the sales of iMac and eMac are lagging. I had 2K set aside for a new Apple at the beginning of the year, I waited as long as I could but no new hardware was announced so I got myself a widescreen TV instead. Oh well, maybe next year, a big maybe........

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by SiliconAddict

Well, it's a non-issue for me since I didn't buy. But wasn't Jobs' statement that "all new macs will ship with ilife04" as of Jan. 6? I understand why machines in inventory wouldn't have it preloaded. I'm just taking issue with Apple charging purchasers of "old" machines $19 to get software that's supposed to be included.

If Jobs' statement was "all new macs sold after Feb. 5", then disregard the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.