Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u2mr2os2

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Costs and bundling

Prior to iLife '04, only iDVD was a for pay item. This led people without a Superdrive to say "iLife is free" and "OS X includes iLife", which as not technically true. It may have included iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie in the install only because they were a free download anyway. This was further confused by people who bought new Macs and assumed that everything they got in the box was what came with OS X.

Post iLife '04, only iTunes is a free download, and should be the only thing that might come in the OS X installation itself in the next release. It seems quite clear to me that OS X 10.4 will not come with "free" iMovie and iPhoto. iDVD has always been a cost item, and GarageBand is a new for pay item.

What seems to be confusing the issue quite a bit is Apple making statements like "iLife is included with all new Macs". It says nothing about upgrades. But I blame most customers for mis-interpreting this to mean that they somehow get iLife upgrades for free. There is no doubt that if MS Office were "included with every new Mac" (not the trial version) that everyone would understand that this would not include upgrades. Why is the inclusion of the initial copy of iLife with a new Mac any different?

The other confusion is people labeling "freely downloadable" apps as "included" in OS X. Cost wise, this is effectively true, but this gives the mistaken idea that those apps should always be included in OS X. Well, they're not included, and they now cost money. The versions prior to '04 were essentially in an extended promotional period. I'm hoping the additional revenue from now charging for such upgrades will allow them to lower hardware prices to entice more buyers.

Ramza

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
I've got a question regarding new macs and iLife '04...

I bought an iBook g4 2 weeks ago, and it didn't have iLife '04 with it. How do I get a copy without paying the full price? Mine SHOULD have shipped with it...

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by nslyax
Ok, here's my question though.

The lowest end education ibook only has a CD-rom, but Garageband is on the ilife DVD. So is there some exception with Garageband being on CDs in this case? Or can the CD-rom ibook simply not use Garageband?

When my friend got her pb, it came with two iLife's, one cd and one dvd, in case you didn't have a dvd

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
The cd only includes iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto. The dvd has all of those and the iDVD and Garageband apps. There is no CD only version of those two apps. You will need to make an image of the dvd with another computer or use an external dvd drive to use the iDVD and Garageband apps.

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
First let me clarify myself. As I understand it, ilife includes a CD and a DVD. The DVD includes all 5 apps, and the CD only itunes, iphoto, and imovie, so you can at least have those three even without a DVD-rom. My question is why Apple says Garageband is included on the cd-rom only edu ibook, if you need a DVD-rom to install it.

Second, no I am not buying the low end ibook. I have a G3 800 14" and have no plans to upgrade until probably the second generation of G5 PowerBook in at east 18 months.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by nslyax
My question is why Apple says Garageband is included on the cd-rom only edu ibook, if you need a DVD-rom to install it.
How big is GarageBand? Does it even fit on a CD-ROM?

By the way, thanks for the nice explanation, u2mr2os2.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
10.4?

So who wants to lay bets on what will be on the 10.4 CD?

I'm guessing iPhoto 3, iTunes 4 and iMovie 4, no iDVD or GarageBand.

Oh, and Apple I'll buy iLife every year if you support my external drive. I got my mac before you were selling DVD-R's, knuckleheads. I'm not going to buy a new mac just for iDVD, but I will buy iLife for it.

DrEasy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
I ordered my iBook on January 24th, which was the day iLife 04 was supposed to start shipping. But it wasn't included when I received it. Is there a way to avoid paying the $19 for shipping? If I buy some other software, can I ask for iLife 04 to be shipped with it for free? I am thinking of buying Office for Mac, is there a way to buy it from the Apple Web site and have iLife 04 shipped with it for free? If I drive to an Apple Store with a coupon, will I get the DVD for free? What if I buy something there?

(LOL I'm cracking myself up trying to come up with all sorts of schemes) All I'm asking is: is there ANY way I can get avoid paying the $19 considering I delayed my iBook purchase till the official shipping day for iLife 04 and still didn't get it? Thanks!

Caustic Saint

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2004
Originally posted by DrEasy
All I'm asking is: is there ANY way I can get avoid paying the $19 considering I delayed my iBook purchase till the official shipping day for iLife 04 and still didn't get it? Thanks!
I've been asking the same thing. I bought my iBook G4 at the Ginza store on 21 January - no iLife '04. I go back to the store two days later to pick up a cable and what do I see - iLife '04 boxes everywhere.

I ask what the deal is on my getting one since I'd just bought my computer two days prior. "Sure," they tell me, "you can have it today if you spend 6,000yen. Otherwise you'll have to order it online through the up-to-date plan for 2,500yen."

Thanks a bunch guys. Great service on that one. :rolleyes:

jeffgarden

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
Miami
hi remember me ? the guy who ordered a powerbook last thursday and was scheduled to get it this thursday ?

well it came today and it has iLife 04 on it : )

cctoronto

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Canada
iBook 12 bought Feb 20

So here's my curiosity:

I'm fairly confident that my unit will have iLife 2.0...

However, the question I have is will iDVD 2.0 work with an external DVD burner??

I understand that with the original version of iDVD, would only work with a built-in SuperDrive...

I cannot wait for my switch to be completed!

I am so done with the PC...

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.