Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My (family's) Mac setup hasn't changed at all but here is the pic I posted in the "messy desks" thread recently.

3367912144_c32f6efac7_b.jpg

Click to make big!

What you see behind the mess: iMac, Time Capsule, HP Photosmart all-in-one printer/scan/fax/copy, mine and my mums iPhones, wired keyboard and mouse, and lots of junk. Oh and there is an iPod Mini there too.

Specs: 20" 2Ghz iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HDD.

Specs. Brings me to my next point.
many people said:
Here is my setup. Macbook and iMac. Specs in sig
I'm sure some people are quite interested in the specs other people have, isn't that why we post? Signatures/specs/systems change over time, so how about the specs go in the post so when people come back and look in a year, month or even a week, we know what we see? My specs used to be in my signature, but as I post this, they aren't. Following?

Just my thoughts.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
omg that is SO intense. !!!! the bottom picture with no screen looks so trippy, its like it shouldnt be working!! kinda like a chicken with no head, or a car with no engine.. Its still working but!! wowowo

Reminds me of the 2.7GHz G5 I got for $100 with a bad hard drive.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I have a friend that got a TiBook with a dead backlight and broken hinges for free. He took the hinges from another broken TiBook and and found out the problem with the backlight was the cable was shorting so he wrapped the two wires running from the inverter to the screen with electrical tape and it was fixed!

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

you guys REALLY have to hook me up! here i am ebaying stuff for around $1000 when i could have easy peasy fixit jobs for $100!!!

Poor, poor child. :D

It only happened once though, and they thought it wasn't worth fixing (the previous owners who were my friend's parents). I offered them it back, obviously, but they said I could keep it 'cause they already bought another Mac.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I'm 15, my mom bought me the monitor, but I payed for the MPB myself (with some of the money from my now-sold Whitebook, which my dad bought me). Now all I need is a mini DisplayPort adapter :rolleyes:

Sorry its a bit fuzzy, I'm new to SLRs :)

EDIT: That spot on the monitor from the lamp is nowhere near as bad as it looks in the picture.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1,009 KB · Views: 569

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
added a Dell 1707fp today, awesome and dirtcheap monitor!!!

anyway, it's kinda a mess right now....

3390126777_dcc93ed7a3.jpg

Watching diggnation..... :cool:

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Things have changed since the last time I posted here...

Attachments

• DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00308.JPG
    DSC00308.JPG
    642.2 KB · Views: 276

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
how many people can honestly say that they payed for their own Mac? i did and i'm 14

it's just the Mid Range Penryn MacBook (in the signature)

i'll try and dig out the camera later

What I'm wondering is how the heck you guys save enough to get a new Mac! In my life I've had about $1500 total, but nowhere near that amount at one time.

Anyway, yes, paid for my iBook G4 and eMac myself. Great little machines, they are. I'm 16 now, bought the iBook when I was 15.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0086.jpg

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0087.jpg

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0088-1.jpg

Sorry for crappy quality Don't have my d300 with me used my iphone. I used macs all my life since I was born and I am 14. I have xbox 360, sony surround sound, 19inch tv, and 2.4 macbook, with icurve stand. If you wanna play 360
gamertag is xVx Angel xVx

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0086.jpg

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0087.jpg

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv245/ninjasownyou/?action=view&current=IMG_0088-1.jpg

Sorry for crappy quality Don't have my d300 with me used my iphone. I used macs all my life since I was born and I am 14. I have xbox 360, sony surround sound, 19inch tv, and 2.4 macbook, with icurve stand. If you wanna play 360
gamertag is xVx Angel xVx

Ah good man, you play CoD 4 instead of WaW :cool:

Robbbin

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
What I'm wondering is how the heck you guys save enough to get a new Mac! In my life I've had about $1500 total, but nowhere near that amount at one time.

Anyway, yes, paid for my iBook G4 and eMac myself. Great little machines, they are. I'm 16 now, bought the iBook when I was 15.

Well it's kinda all about ambitions, you need to be good at something "special" so you can get yourself a nice job. I work as a webdeveloper programming in xHTML, PHP and MySQL, 4 months of working and I had the money to buy myself the unibody Macbook Pro, Led Cinema Display and some other stuff. Just keep looking on a way to earn some money. Jobs which need self-study will likely pay much more than regular jobs like selling stuff at your local shop. I am 17 btw.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Well, I finally got the Hac Pro set up at Mom's house. I recently turned 15.

-- Rocketfish (made by Lian Li) full tower case
-- 1000W Enermax Galaxy PSU
-- Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 motherboard
-- Core 2 Quad Q6600 stable @3.6GHz, 1.33V
-- 2GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
-- two 150GB WD 10,000 RPM hard drives in RAID 0
-- Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler w/ Apevia blue LED fan. Keeps it 2-3C cooler than the Thermaltake fan.
-- Radeon HD3870X2 OC 1GB. Resolutions working but no CI or QE. Help?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Deomitrus

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
What I'm wondering is how the heck you guys save enough to get a new Mac!

There's no magic here or fancy jobs. Most people under 18 are living with their parents, or under some other kind of support. That means they don't have any [relative to adults] bills, expenses, loans, etc. That leaves any money they might have to be spent on whatever they want.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Making money is simple: Go to the dump, snag a couple of Pentium III systems, sell them, and now you've got $200 in capital to buy other things to resell.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Well it's kinda all about ambitions, you need to be good at something "special" so you can get yourself a nice job. I work as a webdeveloper programming in xHTML, PHP and MySQL, 4 months of working and I had the money to buy myself the unibody Macbook Pro, Led Cinema Display and some other stuff. Just keep looking on a way to earn some money. Jobs which need self-study will likely pay much more than regular jobs like selling stuff at your local shop. I am 17 btw.

How exactly do you find work? It is my understanding that being a freelance webdev (or freelance anything for that matter) is a tough road. I guess since your still in school and don't have to rely on steady work it makes for some nice spending money though.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
connections help my uncle is head manager of a private club, so I get to work there in the summer, just ask you parents if they know anybody too and see if that can help, cant hurt right?

Robbbin

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
How exactly do you find work? It is my understanding that being a freelance webdev (or freelance anything for that matter) is a tough road. I guess since your still in school and don't have to rely on steady work it makes for some nice spending money though.

Well as always you need to start at the bottom of the ladder, it's not you who needs to find a job. The job needs to find you, start by making some name while participating in an open-source project (phpBB was it for me). Release some of your work for open-source, thrust me... people saying your stuff rocks really gives you a kick in the right direction. Then just start by making some custom plugins/styles/modifications for that particular open-source project this way you'll get some money to buy some cool stuff like an iPod or so. (Worth-mentioning: People in my country (The Netherlands) under 29 can earn max. $1600 (€1200) per 3 months without paying taxes for it).

Anyway, let's get back to the topic.. once you've made a name and are quite well known in the "local" web world and thus having some interesting people in your msn-list. You can start showing your work to them, don't act like your watching for a job. Just ask them some feedback.

Now this is where the action begins, once some people saw your work and liked it, then they will automatically contact you for a potential job they might have for you.

So after all it all depends on what you do with your internet-life. But in my opinion the internet is THE opportunity to express yourself to other interesting people. Just don't be impatient, hard work will always pay off ;).

Once you have the job, don't just sit back and relax. But keep on working, you can always climb higher on the ladder.

One last advice... using hide-names on the internet can be good, spam-bots or evil people will never see your real name... but remember that this will also prevent interesting people from seeing your name. Offcourse it's your own choice to use whatever name in the internet you want, but I didn't (simply because I hadn't thought about the consequences). Having a good job I don't really care that my Gmail is flooded with spam. (Isn't this why they invented spamboxes in the first place?).

So far my road to where I am now, it took me two years to accomplish it. I hope some of the readers here can do something with it.

Anyway... it's 12:15 am here in the Netherlands, I'll just stop typing before I discover I'm late for school next morning.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
So far my road to where I am now, it took me two years to accomplish it. I hope some of the readers here can do something with it.

Thanks for sharing.:)

For me the biggest problem is not knowing what I want to do. I've done a little of everything, but I still don't know which way to go. I've been fixing computers at least since early high school, I have a box full of different operating system discs, taken a couple programming courses, two mcsa courses. Last summer I messed around for the first time (seriously anyway) with html. Took intro to web design last semester and was bored out of my mind. Finished the book a few weeks in and read up on online tutorials.

My problem is I want to be able to do it all. Unfortunately, although I think being well rounded is a must, I realize you can't know everything about everything.;) I'm nearly halfway done with a BS in computer science and I have no better idea of where I'm going than when I started.:(
All I know is I'd like to be able to start a business and not have to put in my 8-5 every day for someone else's gain.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Thought I'd post this here as well seeing as I'm 17. Here is my own little design studio in my bedroom :) I'm a first year graphic design student and I am in love with my setup. It actually makes me want to do homework lol.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/missjardie/IMG_1206.jpg[IMG]

Macbook 2.4ghz
Dell 2209WA monitor
Ikea desk
Very legitimate "apple" mouse and mousepad :)[/QUOTE]

You need to get a keyboard and move the monitor to the middle so you do not hurt your neck looking to the side to see the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.