Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Sorry for such a newbie question, I've googled this but haven't found anything solid.

I have been transcoding all my avchd from imovie or FCE, and never backed up the original raw files. But now space is becoming an issue, and I have to change my workflow. I will transcode everything to AIC, back up the raw files from the Canon, and delete all the AIC after the project, and saving the raw files for future use.

The problem is, the ImageMixer that comes with the Canon is Windows only, what is the best way to back up on OS X?

Many many thanks!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This question was also brought up in this thread:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/707675/

Here is a good post about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryca
All I want to know is simply “How can I get the BEST possible footage out of the Camera?”

Let's begin with two different aspects of your workflow:
How to backup original footage
How to transfer footage from camera to Mac for the purpose of editing

Backup
I assume you don't want to leave your footage on your camera forever. So you need to copy the native AVCHD files from camera to Mac.
I assume you do not want to backup the transcoded AVCHD into AUC codec files, as the size explodes.
In order to retain all info of your source: create a disk image on your Mac and copy the entire card structure to that image. Close the image and store it for posterity.

Editing
As you say, you can not edit on the Mac in native AVCHD format. You need to transcode using the log & transfer option.
In your case you are using iMovie or FCE. That means that your transcode will be the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Your file size fille explode by a factor 3-7 (depending on resolution you are using).
You will use iMovie or FCE to edit in AIC. Your output will be in AIC.
Only in the very last step when you choose your distrubution format, you will make choices. In iMovie you have little options with few controls. In FCE you will have more.
Note: when making a DVD, iDVD is automatically convert AIC into DDV SD mpeg2 format.
Note: check iMovie "share" function. It will export to YouTube and Mobileme formats for you.
Note: QuickTime Pro does read AIC files and can export to a wide variety of formats. Your customer will tell you what format he/ she prefers.

Regards
Coen

I included the whole clip since it is pretty good.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Thank you so much for the post, I highly appreciate it, I actually came across that post during my search, but didn't read through the whole thing.

I have one question though, what is the reason for saving the entire structure of the HD/Flash memory card? The .mts files in the Stream folder isn't enough? There are a lot of folders, including "clipinf," what do they do?

Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.