Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I do not own an iPad currently but had the original back in the day. I have been wanting to utilize a tablet more often and I am in the market for an Air.

I am just stuck on whether to buy a new Air or a used Air 2 as the difference seems pretty significant performance wise.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I do not own an iPad currently but had the original back in the day. I have been wanting to utilize a tablet more often and I am in the market for an Air.

I am just stuck on whether to buy a new Air or a used Air 2 as the difference seems pretty significant performance wise.

Performance is not that much different in day to day use. The browsing experience with multiple tabs may be better with the Air 2 due to the extra RAM but most apps run fine on both devices. More RAM is more RAM and that's the intriguing "upgrade" item. The rest is fluff.

The Air 2 is extremely thin though and that cause some headaches of its own. Vibrating chassis, screen distortion, stuff like that. Check some threads here on this forum for examples.

The Air still runs great though and they can be had for great deals right now.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Performance is not that much different in day to day use. The browsing experience with multiple tabs may be better with the Air 2 due to the extra RAM but most apps run fine on both devices. More RAM is more RAM and that's the intriguing "upgrade" item. The rest is fluff.

The Air 2 is extremely thin though and that cause some headaches of its own. Vibrating chassis, screen distortion, stuff like that. Check some threads here on this forum for examples.

The Air still runs great though and they can be had for great deals right now.

Thank you for this feedback. It's about a $100 difference between the air and air 2 I am looking at so deciding if it's worth the extra cash.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I'm actually interested in the Surface 3. Crazy specs, crazy price.

Though the specs aren't all that crazy at all and neither is the price. The price is fine though don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near crazy.

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Thank you for this feedback. It's about a $100 difference between the air and air 2 I am looking at so deciding if it's worth the extra cash.

Research it more yourself to see what works best for you. The issues that the Air 2 has may not bother you at all in which case the extra RAM is nice to have. On the other hand, the Air 1 is still a fine tablet and saving money is always a good thing. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only thing I'm expecting is that apple makes the iPad thinner (shocker :eek: I know), maybe, just maybe they'll provide even more ram but that's about it.

I haven't seen too many changes to the iPad line over the years, though I think apple needs to step up the game to entice people to buy/upgrade. Their tablet sales are not what they ought to be and there's increased competition.

Its hard to beat the surface 3 with a price point of 499, has a pressure sensitive pen, and runs a full OS, instead of a locked down iOS.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Though the specs aren't all that crazy at all and neither is the price. The price is fine though don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near crazy.

It's not crazy if you don't want one, it is if you do. ;)

deadstockmarket

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
I just purchased an iPad Air 2 a few weeks ago after realizing the iPhone 6 Plus was too small for Clash of Clans and have been stuck on it ever since. The prospect of an iPad Pro is VERY appealing and I'm for sure going to get the LTE version of that when it comes out.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Surface 3 is running a full OS. Good luck with that 4gb of ram.

you have to be insane in thinking you cant run a full OS on 4GB of RAM.

I have a lenovo laptop with 4gb of RAM and it runs 8.1 beautifully.

on the other side of the coin, my 4GB ram macbook air runs yosemite beautifully too... and the boot camped windows 7 on it.

and if you want to compare apples to pears..... my ipad 4 runs iOS 8.2 with 1gb of RAM.

man i still remember when 128 mb of RAM was crazy plenty

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I am waiting for the Surface Pro 4. The processor in the Surface 3 is not going to make Windows snappy to say the least. Can't handle slow computers no matter how long the battery lasts
I ran Windows 8.1 Pro on the Dell Venue 8 Pro and had absolutely no issues with speed.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
128gb surface 3 with 4gb at $599....
geez ipad 2 is dead in the water if MS actually pulls that off

I know. Apple is going to need to start stepping up with the iPad. It's just stagnating. I hardly ever use my iPad and prefer using my MBP because I can just do more with a full OS.

mektobat

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Samarinda, Indonesia
I haven't seen too many changes to the iPad line over the years, though I think apple needs to step up the game to entice people to buy/upgrade. Their tablet sales are not what they ought to be and there's increased competition.

Its hard to beat the surface 3 with a price point of 499, has a pressure sensitive pen, and runs a full OS, instead of a locked down iOS.

I wish Apple can beat the surface heat problem. I've been waiting for iPad Pro. Hoping it will be here in Indonesia in the end of this year. So that I can write on iPad Pro using Apple's stylus in whatever language I need and it will recognize and convert it digital as text. No matter how ugly my cursive writing could be. No more noisy tap using non Apple stylus. Higher RAM for speed and longer battery life.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The only thing I'm expecting is that apple makes the iPad thinner (shocker :eek: I know), maybe, just maybe they'll provide even more ram but that's about it.

What can they really do though? The iPad is a mature, dare I say complete product as it is now. That's fine but it does affect sales since most of us are content to keep our ipads for many generations before upgrading.

What I don't want is for them to mess with the foundations of the device too much. It's a perfect tablet experience, IMO. If they try to make it too much like a laptop or whatever then you lose some of what makes it a great tablet.

It's a tough spot though.... As you said, they have to keep it fresh but they also have to be careful not to go overboard. The next 2-3 years will be interesting for the iPad as other products like the surface also mature and get better.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Having owned nearly every iteration of the iPad, I honestly feel like improving on the iPad Air 2 will take a revolutionary approach that we will make it feel very un-iPad like. Let's face it, the "iPad pro" won't really be an iPad at all. Maybe a dockable large touch screen device? Stylus? The new MacBook might be a way for Apple to settle the iPad pro fever (though it would certainly be falling short).

I love iPad Air 2 and see no reason why I would upgrade. But then again, it depends on what app developers start coming up with as well.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
What can they really do though? The iPad is a mature, dare I say complete product as it is now. That's fine but it does affect sales since most of us are content to keep our ipads for many generations before upgrading.

What I don't want is for them to mess with the foundations of the device too much. It's a perfect tablet experience, IMO. If they try to make it too much like a laptop or whatever then you lose some of what makes it a great tablet.

It's a tough spot though.... As you said, they have to keep it fresh but they also have to be careful not to go overboard. The next 2-3 years will be interesting for the iPad as other products like the surface also mature and get better.

Agreed. All they need to do now is open up the software.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Force Touch and Taptic Engine are totally the next big feature.

----------

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but I definitely have to recommend the Air 2. The hardware is the most amazing I've seen out of Apple, thin thinness and lightness seriously makes a difference, and so does the RAM. I'd say just go all in, you'll love it.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Force Touch and Taptic Engine are totally the next big feature.

----------

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but I definitely have to recommend the Air 2. The hardware is the most amazing I've seen out of Apple, thin thinness and lightness seriously makes a difference, and so does the RAM. I'd say just go all in, you'll love it.

Definitely but at this point of the year is better to wait the next ipad.... a price reduction is not a bad thing! If you need it now, no doubt: is the best ipad ever (as usual)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.