Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

edk1511

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
This is never coming out. At this rate it will be primed and ready for the brand new iPhone 10.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I have a feeling the delay is related to ad revenues and page hits. Using an app bypasses coming to the actual website ...

euphrus

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
Macrumors iPhone App?

I'm probably not the only one that would love to see a iPhone App from Macrumors. I dont know how it would happen, but i would love to see one in the future....i would pay for it too!

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
OK guys, here's the situation.

The apps been stable for a while. I've had my final uni exams, so I had to take a couple of months off for those. I'm all done now, so I want to add a few new features over the next two/three weeks and prepare for a release at the end of that.

The biggest hurdle without a doubt has been contacting the staff. I've sent arn countless PMs, with AdHoc builds, looking for feedback. I think I've only ever had arn reply once or twice, although at that time he was supportive of the project. I'm pretty reluctant to put much time in to this without any contact from arn.

So, if you're sitting there wondering why this app is taking so darn long and want to see it on the store soon, try and get arn to take a look at his PMs.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm all done now, so I want to add a few new features over the next two/three weeks and prepare for a release at the end of that.
No new features!! Feature freeze! It's stable! Feature freeze! There's always 'just a couple more things to do'. Feature freeze!

Put it out, see how it does, look at the feedback, there might be other things you haven't noticed that will reward your time more than adding the last couple of features you were planning.

I'm pretty reluctant to put much time in to this without any contact from arn. So, if you're sitting there wondering why this app is taking so darn long and want to see it on the store soon, try and get arn to take a look at his PMs.
At a guess, Arn is pretty busy playing with his new iPad, trying to get his hands on an iPhone4, chasing up breaking rumours about said iPhone 4, and writing reviews for TouchArcade. Don't wait for him.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Agreed with two above! Just RELEASE it! You can add features along with updates, people who want/need them can then download the updates. If it's stable, that's enough :p Have you tried dropping a PM to other admins? Doctor Q at least should be able to help you and discuss with Arn if needed

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Agreed with two above! Just RELEASE it! You can add features along with updates, people who want/need them can then download the updates. If it's stable, that's enough :p Have you tried dropping a PM to other admins? Doctor Q at least should be able to help you and discuss with Arn if needed

id like to say that i could help and have a big influence on what happens, but alas i dont hahaha. in saying that - i would be more then happy to organise/advertise any app that is released for MR :D

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Agreed, I've always found teh Q very responsive.

edk1511

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
I also agree with the get it out there theory. If arn was onboard before than he still is. Please submit it.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
If you dont want to submit it to the app store yet, why not open it up for beta testers? I'm sure there would be plenty of people here more than willing to help you test it out and give feedback.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
If it's stable just release. Add new features later in upgrades, or else it will never be released! This is the one app i'm looking most forward to!

AnDy

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
If you dont want to submit it to the app store yet, why not open it up for beta testers? I'm sure there would be plenty of people here more than willing to help you test it out and give feedback.

I wanted to do this earlier, but was told that arn didn't want to (i.e. that I can't go forward without his approval, which is totally fine).

It is also not appropriate for me to release the MR app under my personal dev account. If MR wants its own app on the store, it will have to buy a developer subscription to submit the app from. I need some contact with the staff to access that (I'm not sure if Doc Q can help me here).

Also, when I said the app was stable, what I meant is that it's not yet feature-rich enough for a 1.0 release, but the features that are there are stable and work well. I'd prefer a rapid release model on the AppStore (i.e. a public preview) with perhaps weekly updates, slowing down as the app develops further until we can declare a 1.0.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I wanted to do this earlier, but was told that arn didn't want to (i.e. that I can't go forward without his approval, which is totally fine).

It is also not appropriate for me to release the MR app under my personal dev account. If MR wants its own app on the store, it will have to buy a developer subscription to submit the app from. I need some contact with the staff to access that (I'm not sure if Doc Q can help me here).

Also, when I said the app was stable, what I meant is that it's not yet feature-rich enough for a 1.0 release, but the features that are there are stable and work well. I'd prefer a rapid release model on the AppStore (i.e. a public preview) with perhaps weekly updates, slowing down as the app develops further until we can declare a 1.0.

Okay, we understand :eek: Drop Doc Q a line though, he's still an admin and Arn will listen to him, no matter how busy he is. Q can at least discuss with Arn and other admins if he personally cannot help you. It's better than waiting ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Drop Doc Q a line...
Just wanted to acknowledge that a line was dropped. The delay is on the MacRumors side, where the project has been simmering on the back burner.

Like many forum users, I hope to see the project move forward, but no schedule has been established.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just wanted to acknowledge that a line was dropped. The delay is on the MacRumors side, where the project has been simmering on the back burner.

Like many forum users, I hope to see the project move forward, but no schedule has been established.

blast, looks like we will still be waiting a while then :)

maybe in the mean time a iPad HD version could be worked on :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.