Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah the top dsl speed here is 6 mb/s. not really great, but better than what i'm getting.

i'm really not sure why the speed is so low.

try http://www.speedtest.net. i just ran it and got 0.81 mb/s. i'm paying for 12.0

That is a very poor speed, at least I'm getting close to 10 mb/s but paying for 30 I think... $76 a month. These monopolies we have in the US are a drag, they can do whatever they want and the gov does nothing about it. Mine is adequate for all the folding at least.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
That is a very poor speed, at least I'm getting close to 10 mb/s but paying for 30 I think... $76 a month. These monopolies we have in the US are a drag, they can do whatever they want and the gov does nothing about it. Mine is adequate for all the folding at least.

yeah what i'm getting is terrible. but it's been getting a little better today. but i can't upload bigadv results with these speeds

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My router is having some trouble, seems to quit working whenever I'm at work :mad: I bought a new one on ebay, hope it gets here SOON!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

i pay $130aus a month ($~110 US) for 50GB of downloads! (adsl2+). at least i hit the speeds.

are you on cable lord?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i pay $130aus a month ($~110 US) for 50GB of downloads! (adsl2+). at least i hit the speeds.

are you on cable lord?

Yes I'm on cable, I did have dsl a couple of years ago but the company couldn't offer anything faster than 10gb/s at a higher price.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
My router is having some trouble, seems to quit working whenever I'm at work :mad: I bought a new one on ebay, hope it gets here SOON!

dang. i've had good luck with my apple extreme routers so far

are you on cable lord?

dang that's a lot of money. but fast speeds also. i don't think they even offer those speeds around here

Yes I'm on cable, I did have dsl a couple of years ago but the company couldn't offer anything faster than 10gb/s at a higher price.

yeah dsl is slower around here also

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i still have 3 main machines for folding, but none are back up to full force.

i don't have any of them running over 3.6 ghz (the fastest now is like 3.55 or so). so right now i'm just running -advmethods instead of -bigadv on 2 of them, and i'm actually using the other one, so no cpu folding right now.

i do have 2 gpus in each one folding.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well i still have 3 main machines for folding, but none are back up to full force.

i don't have any of them running over 3.6 ghz (the fastest now is like 3.55 or so). so right now i'm just running -advmethods instead of -bigadv on 2 of them, and i'm actually using the other one, so no cpu folding right now.

i do have 2 gpus in each one folding.

you got any mac machines in there?? christ, 3 computers - im happy with the one for now!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well guys i might be getting back up there soon. the last couple of days i've been working on my home built system, and i had it stable folding at 3.8 ghz. of course i got greedy, and am currently trying to manage 4.0 ghz. but right now heat is in the way, and i might have to take it back down a notch. we'll see

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i'm tellin ya, there's something about starting with the number 4.

but it got too hot, and i had to turn it down to 3.98 ghz. not quite 4. hopefully it'll stay at that though
i prefer the number 9 to be honest :p 9ghz! phoar!

what temps are they running at? had you considered water cooling?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i prefer the number 9 to be honest :p 9ghz! phoar!

what temps are they running at? had you considered water cooling?

i was running around 90C. i've now taken it down to just 3.9 ghz. it's still up close to around 85C. i really don't feel like messing with water cooling on this system. maybe next time

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i added 2 more GPUs to my folding mix. i got a gtx 465 folding in the same rig as a gtx 260. it took awhile, but finally have them both folding with the gpu3 client. we'll see how it does

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well i added 2 more GPUs to my folding mix. i got a gtx 465 folding in the same rig as a gtx 260. it took awhile, but finally have them both folding with the gpu3 client. we'll see how it does

Ooooh! great, it will be good to get the points on our team from that 465!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ooooh! great, it will be good to get the points on our team from that 465!

thanks. so far this thing is smoking. but it is using different units. i'm not sure what the ppd for the card itself is, but it's gotta be 10K ppd or more.

2 more :eek: farout man! how do you afford all that hahaha!

well only 1 465 gtx. the other was just another 9800 GT. but when i run 3 of them in the same computer, one of them overheats - to 104C! but if i take one out, then it runs fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.