Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Consumer Reports' Smacks Verizon iPhone Over Antenna Issues

Influential ratings-and-reviews magazine Consumer Reports made headlines last July when it declined to recommend the iPhone to consumers due to antenna issues that could result in loss of signal. The publication has held strong on its non-recommendation, arguing that Apple's temporary free case over was insufficient to address the issue.

Consumer Reports is back at it again, this time hitting the Verizon iPhone for essentially the exact same reason it knocked on the original iPhone 4.
Quote:
The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem that could cause the phone to drop calls, or be unable to place calls, in weak signal conditions, Consumer Reports engineers have found in lab tests.

The problem is similar to the one we confirmed in July with the AT&T version of Apple's newest smart phone. It can occur when you hold either version of the phone in a specific but quite natural way in which a gap in the phone's external casing is covered. The phone performs superbly in most other respects, and using the iPhone 4 with a case can alleviate the problem.
According to tests conducted by Consumer Reports, simply placing a finger on the gap at the lower left side of the Verizon iPhone causes signal to drop over a period of 15 seconds, resulting in calls being dropped in areas of low signal. As a result, the publication is similarly declining to recommend the Verizon iPhone despite lower reports of users experiencing the signal issues, potentially due to the strength of Verizon's network.
Quote:
But given our findings, we believe the possibility exists for individual users to experience the problem since low signal conditions are unavoidable when using any cell-phone network.

For that reason, we are not including the Verizon iPhone 4 in our list of recommended smart phones, despite its high ranking in our Ratings.
Consumer Reports was unable to generate similar issues with a variety of other phones on Verizon's network, including the Samsung Fascinate, Motorola Droid 2 Global, HTC Droid Incredible, LG Ally, and Motorola Droid X, thus isolating the issue as unique to Apple's current iPhone designs.

Article Link: 'Consumer Reports' Smacks Verizon iPhone Over Antenna Issues
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:42 PM   #2
spydr
macrumors 6502

No wonder that nobody is buying this iPhone 4. Thanks for opening our eyes CR
spydr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
toddybody

I love my iphone 4...but im glad Consumer Reports isnt swallowing the Apple hype!
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
timirving
macrumors member

I'm Smacking CR for It's Hyperbolic Reporting on a Minor Issue

This is lame, it's not really that bad.... maybe I hold my phone differently than most; I really don't have a problem with my IP4 dropping calls unless I am in an area with 1 bar. But I dropped calls in those areas with other phones too.
timirving is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #5
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

If it hurts...

Don't hold it that way!
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:45 PM   #6
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

Quote:
But given our findings, we believe the possibility exists for individual users to experience the problem since low signal conditions are unavoidable when using any cell-phone network.
What's "unavoidable? Just don't hold it in that spot for 15 seconds....... or use a case.
FlameofAnor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Jollins
macrumors regular

In other words, CR writers were thinking this:

"How can we make headlines again?"
Jollins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
EdRed
macrumors newbie

The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem...

...it's way too popular for the competition to handle.
EdRed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:47 PM   #9
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollins View Post

This and only this. I laugh heartily at people who quote CR as if they're a source of information.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Their report sure made a big difference the first time.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 PM   #11
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Slight quibble.

Formerly influential. CR has made a joke of itself over the last year.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Small White Car
macrumors G4

I don't mind CR reporting on this but I really they'd compare it to the 3GS and run it through the same tests.

Because, frankly, if the i4 only drops calls in places the 3GS can't get any signal than that's important to know.

And, conversely, if that's not the case then I'd like to know that as well.

Bascially, I have no problem with them reporting on the issue, but their reporting is borderline useless without that comparision.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 PM   #13
CalMin
macrumors 6502

This is nothing more than a headline grab by consumer reports. They garnered a lot of publicity bashing the iPhone 4, as did Gizmodo.
15" MacBook Pro w. Retina Display - 2.3ghz Quad i7 / 256GB SSD / 8GB
CalMin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 PM   #14
troop231
macrumors 601

Haha, I love CR's tests
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:49 PM   #15
normwood
macrumors 6502a

And on the next page they probably reviewed toaster ovens, toilet plungers and feminine hygiene products....which they might actually have someone qualified to review.

Steve
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:49 PM   #16
HiRez
macrumors 601

Does anyone under the age of 60 still subscribe to Consumer Reports?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #17
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I don't mind CR reporting on this but I really they'd compare it to the 3GS and run it through the same tests.

Because, frankly, if the i4 only drops calls in places the 3GS can't get any signal than that's important to know.

And, conversely, if that's not the case then I'd like to know that as well.

Bascially, I have no problem with them reporting on the issue, but their reporting is borderline useless without that comparision.
Agreed. Many reviews of the phone have said exactly that too. People can use the ip4 where they couldn't with the 3GS.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #18
DHagan4755
macrumors 6502a

I have the Verizon iPhone 4. Consumer Reports is right about the antenna. I love the phone except this one issue. It's just about a deal-breaker & it still annoys me.

I feel like I made a lateral move. I got off of AT&T's network to get decent reception. I got onto a better, more reliable network in Verizon, except now, the phone is the problem.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollins View Post

+1 It's ridiculous.

Since the proximity sensor fix, I never have calls drop or get cut off. And I'm on the AT&T version in an area where I only get 1-3 bars most of the time.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #20
meechy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timirving View Post
This is lame, it's not really that bad.... maybe I hold my phone differently than most; I really don't have a problem with my IP4 dropping calls unless I am in an area with 1 bar. But I dropped calls in those areas with other phones too.

It is bad and affects a lot of people, I've had my phone changed 3 times all with the same issue, about 20 other people I know who have iPhone 4s have this problem.

You will get a lot of fanboys here defending apple saying nothing is wrong with the phone and don't hold it that way, but the truth is, this problem exists in a lot of iPhone 4s if not all of them.
meechy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Salacion
macrumors 6502a

It's interesting how a once notorious issue is no longer of concern.

Let's face it, making phone calls is a mere subset feature to everything else the iPhone offers. Making phone calls probably takes up 2% of the daily activity iPhone's undergo.
Salacion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #22
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Again? Cmon.... i've tried last year like 30 phones and smartphones in my shop and all drops bar if you cover antenna. iPhone 4 receive quite good for being a smartphone and more than Galaxy s and iPhone 3GS.

They spread paranoia. Sometimes someone come into my shop and are convinced his/her iPhone has the issue, then i show him it happend the same with his old phone or girlfriend/boyfriend with he/she and they stop.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:51 PM   #23
ozred
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydr View Post
No wonder that nobody is buying this iPhone 4. Thanks for opening our eyes CR
Do _NOT_ get me wrong. Apples shady business practices aside, I'm a huge Apple enthusiast. But this Antenna issue that Jobs blessed before it ever got shipped is just disgusting.

Apple deserves all the push back they are getting on this. I'm _Not_ one who is a fan of Consumer Reports, but this time they're right.

Sadly all this will do is fuel the little boy rage, that Steve Jobs still harbors.

He will _never admit a mistake, or take responsibility.

It always someone elses fault. Sad... So Sad.
ozred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:52 PM   #24
meechy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Agreed. Many reviews of the phone have said exactly that too. People can use the ip4 where they couldn't with the 3GS.

That is until they hold the phone in there hand and bam! The calls dropped and no signal.

Last edited by meechy; Feb 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: .
meechy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:52 PM   #25
vincenz
macrumors 601

In other news, the iPhone is still selling like hotcakes.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion