Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
This issue has been analyzed and reported on by professionals. Both versions of iPhone 4 can lose signal strength if held in particular ways. All smart phones have the same problem, they just have different hand positions which cause the problem. There are a few that are better than iPhone 4 in this way, but iPhone 4 is better than most. Additionally, the iPhone 4, WITH the antenna held in the problematic way, gets better reception than many smart phones including the iPhone 3.

Consumer Reports are being sensationalist and doing no serious testing.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
It is a right pain and I'm glad they aren't just going away quietly on the issue. I'm pretty torn now as my bumper case is getting loose around the edges and I'm trying more using the phone without it on. This has revealed a lot of surface scuffing that contact with the bumper has caused, and of course, is tending to make my reception much worse, given that I can't fathom any other way to hold the phone ><.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
First, who cares about what consumer reports says, I've never heard about them before people started saying that they "don't recommend the iPhone 4". They're just a website like any other!

Second, apparently, the iPhone 4's antenna problem isn't very serious, as people have stopped talking about it until now. Maybe lab equipment can show a difference between the iPhone 4 and other phones, but in every day life, it doesn't seem that it's a big issue. Otherwise we would hear people complaining way more.

Third, I don't think a mobile phone in the 21st century should ever drop a call, with the only obvious exceptions being when you're in a tunnel, or the basement or something similar. But you don't really use your phone in those places anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I've owned 5 different kinds of non-smart phones, an Alcatel something, a Siemens C55, and 3 Nokias, and I have never had a dropped call in my entire life, not even once, while talking on the phone. So I guess that if 10 year-old technology can deal with reception then 2011 tech should have no problems with it ever. So far I have not used an iPhone, but I have not heard anyone I know who owns one complain either.

Centsy

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Ok, I'm not denying that the antenna issue exists, but I have much better service on my Verizon iPhone than I did on my Verizon Droid Incredible (which they mentioned as being better)... Honestly, I haven't had any trouble and it's unfortunate they won't recommend the phone for this reason...

mzguyjay

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Idaho
CS..turn up your hearingAide. PLEASE!

I have had my iPhone4 for over a week, and I am VERY VERY :D with reception and all it's wonders. I wouldn't take light to what CS has to say, nor what they may say about their so-called reports. Technology is ever changing..catch up already CS, and stop with these hog-washed reports.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
First, who cares about what consumer reports says, I've never heard about them before people started saying that they "don't recommend the iPhone 4". They're just a website like any other!

You're wrong there.

There are a LOT of people in the US who base everything they buy off that magazine. They're "just a website" the same way Wal*Mart is "just some store."

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Consumer Reports are a bunch of morons. I held it just like it too and stayed on a 45 minute phone call. They just hate the iPhone for some reason.
Oh, obviously...

It's like when CR decides to bash American cars, recommend foreign marques blindly, and then make excuses for their actions when called out...

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I love the whole line of Apple products that I have purchased since I converted about ten years ago during my early days as a student at UNH. I can't emphasize enough how incredible it has been to have a great computing experience, and how worthwhile the changeover from PC to Mac was for me. Therefore, I immediately started purchasing any products Apple put out that were applicable to my life.

However, the iPhone 4 and ATV2 have been a disappointment to me, and I don't mind any press coverage that reflects both the bad and good aspects of technology. I doubt the iPhone 5 will have attenuation problems, and bet it will have something to do with any news organization who calls a spade a spade.

My iPhone definitely drops calls when I don't hold it the way I'm supposed to and my ATV2 setup exactly like my Roku stinks at streaming Netflix comparatively.

That being said, it's a hard pill to swallow when you've had a flawless experience with a company's products for ten years so I'll take a few bads with many, many goods.

I do feel like if this problem was happening on/to another smartphone company some consumers might be having a field day on message boards, and that it would also receive negative press.

Overall: Not a deal breaker for me with Apple by any means, but it's also worth acknowledging mistakes so that they aren't repeated in the future. I think competition and critical reports help everyone evolve, and keep everyone honest, too.

These are just my personal sentiments. I'm not trying to enrage any hard core fans of the latest iPhone iteration. I still enjoy mine.

Last edited:

Osnabrueck

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
I call shenanigans.

I live in San Francisco and have been using the Veriphone for two weeks now. My apartment is a veritable bank vault, I'm left-handed and don't use a bumper case.

Despite this, I've never dropped a call or have had no service. The phone has been rock solid.

I think Consumer Reports is hinging their entire criticism on one specific FACT. That bringing the gap in the antennae will... under the right conditions... interfere with cellphone reception. They claim to have tried the same thing on a variety of other phones but don't show how or where they determined to "bridge" anything to produce the same effect.

Because everything hinges on this criticism, the question becomes... how much does this affect average consumers? If this only effects 1-5% of consumers in everyday usage, is it enough to simply NOT recommend, given all of the enormous benefits the phone obviously has?

Unfortunately, I find myself feeling sorry for them. They've staked an aspect of their reputation on making a BIG deal of a SMALL matter. If Apple can't make iPhones fast enough, its clear their opinions don't really matter in this area.

If this were a substantive issue, and not a distraction, I would have returned my iPhone immediately. CR did not catch any problem initially, but then came back and noticed the "effect" and now can't stop staring at it. That's more a neurosis than an example of detailed, quality reporting.

~ CB

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Those young punks... With their gadgets and iPhones and thingamajigs... We'll show 'em!

angry-old-person.jpg

cloakedpegasus

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Again? Cmon.... i've tried last year like 30 phones and smartphones in my shop and all drops bar if you cover antenna. iPhone 4 receive quite good for being a smartphone and more than Galaxy s and iPhone 3GS.

They spread paranoia. Sometimes someone come into my shop and are convinced his/her iPhone has the issue, then i show him it happend the same with his old phone or girlfriend/boyfriend with he/she and they stop.

You are wrong. I've had many cellphones and the iPhone 4 is the first phone where I am conscious about how I hold it, lest I lose bars and have my call dropped.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
They're like a child who, having been ignored by their readership, is now seeking negative attention by hyping up an issue associated with an Apple product. Curiously, they're content to bypass this sort of 'testing' for other phones which can be attenuated when held or strangled in the proper way. I used to respect them. In the past years, though, some of their top recommendations have turned out to be extremely disappointing products.

You are wrong. I've had many cellphones and the iPhone 4 is the first phone where I am conscious about how I hold it, lest I lose bars and have my call dropped.
You present it as if dropping the call can be done easily. If you're having such an easy time of it, it is either because you are constantly placing calls in areas where you have an abhorrent signal, because you have a defective device, or because you're exaggerating the problem. I've never met someone who has an honest-to-goodness problem with this. I've probably knocked off a few calls in low-signal areas but how I hold the phone has never been a real issue for me. I lose plenty more calls just because AT&T signals can inexplicably suck in various areas.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Consumer reports is so stupid and annoying. They are the worst tech blog. This is way old news and nobody cares about the damn antenna issue so stop reporting about it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Those griping about CR are looking like crybabies.

If you don't care what CR thinks - then why are you b*tching about it? Obviously you DO care. If you didn't it would be a non-issue and you'd go along your merry way.

I respect CR - if for no other reason than they are consistent.

The didn't have a recommend status for the iPhone 4 on ATT and they don't for Verizon.

FOR THE SAME REASON.

I can only imagine the hoopla if they had recommended the Verizon version OVERLOOKING what they consider an issue.

Then people would be bashing them for being inconsistent and not relevant since they can't keep their opinion "straight."

Ridiculous.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If CR were inaccurate then Apple could sue them.. but they haven't.

Take any CR publishes as research into buying a product - it shouldn't have the final word on any purchasing decisions.

I'm still amazed how you lot get so worked up over a negative Apple product review.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I'm not saying whether the antenna problem exists, but Consumer Reports has lost all perspective.

I used to follow their advice, but as often as not, they recommend inferior products (based both on my experience with those products and on user reviews on Amazon and other sites). They tend to focus on insignificant things (to me, at least) in their ratings, which ends up skewing things. They also tend to recommend things that break down a lot.

Their past reliability reports for cars are the only thing I actually look at anymore because it doesn't require their judgement. (The numbers for appliances are too general (by brand) to be useful.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.