Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Apple knows damn well phone has an antennae problem. And most of you do, too. I live in Miami and my iPhone 4 service is brutal at times with repeated dropped calls my 3GS never experienced.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And yet, when CR writes anything about the iPhone or Apple, they sure seem to have influence over pissing people off...

So I would say they have influence. And are certainly relevant enough to be quoted by other media and in other mediums.

You don't like what they have to say or don't agree with them - that's fine. But that doesn't make them any less credible or well read.

Most of the audience who visits this site are not the demographic that visit CR anyway.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Here's my reception test:

Can it stream an internet radio station, over 3G while in an elevator without a glitch?

iPhone4 - Yes.

That's as far as I got. Happy with the outcome.

C.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Slight quibble.

Formerly influential. CR has made a joke of itself over the last year.

Nahh... I gave up on them when I was looking at cars and one I was interested in scored high across the board, yet the recommended another manufacture's vehicle because they felt the other manufacture had a better reliability record. So, they seem to test, score and then recommend whatever they want.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Do _NOT_ get me wrong. Apples shady business practices aside, I'm a huge Apple enthusiast. But this Antenna issue that Jobs blessed before it ever got shipped is just disgusting.

Apple deserves all the push back they are getting on this. I'm _Not_ one who is a fan of Consumer Reports, but this time they're right.

Sadly all this will do is fuel the little boy rage, that Steve Jobs still harbors.

He will _never admit a mistake, or take responsibility.

It always someone elses fault. Sad... So Sad.

What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

gorcman

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
I've tried recreating the deathgrip on my verizon iphone without the case. I've managed to drop typically 1 bar (2 on rare occasions). Not a big issue for me, especially since i have a bumper.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Come on CR!

While I am a CR subscriber, and generally like their ratings.... there are just some things they really don't understand how to rate. (ie: computers, stereos, etc.... apparently phones).

It would be kind of like testing a car and saying... 'when I crank the wheel like this, while slamming on the brake pedal, the car goes into an uncontrollable spin... therefore we can't recommend this car.' Sheesh!

(On a side note, the other thing that has been bothering me about CR in the last several years, is they have become very cheap consumer oriented on a number of kinds of products, rather than focusing on long-term quality and paying a bit more. They don't seem to do that with cars... I'm not sure why they can't translate that to all types of products.)

Simsonic

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Cardiff by the Sea
Dropped Subscription

I dropped my subscription of CR last year when they came out with the iP4 review of the AT&T release. They are at it again. I just don't think they are being truthful. I know 10 people with the phone and none of them have this issue. It's bogus, just like the "I can't stop my car" Toyota liars.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
One could only imagine how many units of the iPhone4 would have sold if it had gotten the CR benediction. :rolleyes:

Remizart

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine is just fine...

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
At least 1 company is willing to criticize Apple. I noticed this problem right away when I got my phone. I bought a case and it was fixed. But it is still a major design flaw in Apples flagship product.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
So Consumer Reports runs tests and finds the iPhone to not be the greatest phone and all you guys jump on them and bash them..Yea, you're not fanboys.

joskewarez

macrumors member
May 29, 2010
It's interesting how a once notorious issue is no longer of concern.

Let's face it, making phone calls is a mere subset feature to everything else the iPhone offers. Making phone calls probably takes up 2% of the daily activity iPhone's undergo.

but "iphone" exists for 80% of "phone"..

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Apple knows damn well phone has an antennae problem. And most of you do, too. I live in Miami and my iPhone 4 service is brutal at times with repeated dropped calls my 3GS never experienced.

Not saying your wrong... and not saying that the Antenna design is not optimal. But in my neck of the woods I see no difference. It works like all my other phones have in the past. And I do know my other Samsung phone had the same issue as the iPhone if you played with it enough. You could drop the bars with just the right hold.

So my evaluation... because we know where to hold the iPhone to make it fade... it's an issue. But still... I feel grossly over hyped. Again... based on my experience and not just fanboiism talking.

aughsum

May 6, 2010
...it's way too popular for the competition to handle.

This is basically it...

Negative press about the iPhone from consumer reporting agencies (not actual consumers), rumors of the iPad3 coming out just a few months after the iPad2... Companies will do whatever they can to defer Apple's business - The more of a monopoly Apple becomes, the more impossible it is to stop.

felgatec

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Texas

I feel like I made a lateral move. I got off of AT&T's network to get decent reception. I got onto a better, more reliable network in Verizon, except now, the phone is the problem. :eek:

Except Verizon isn't a better network as it uses CDMA, you do know that CDMA is old technology and the rest of the world is using GSM for obvious reasons... And I don't know why people complain about the iPhone 4 antenna issues, tests proved that it still gets better signal than the 3GS.... But as soon as you fix one problem people will find something else to whine about....

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Consumer Reports just lost what was left of their credibility.

I hear you on that to some extent. It seems they tend to sometimes get a 'bug up their you know whats' about certain things which are largely irrelevant. I agree fully with pointing out something like this so the consumer knows.... but adjusting their overall rating over something trivial seems.... um, petty.

While they might be unbiased due to advertising... they don't seem to often be without their own internal biases. You just have to kind of figure those out and factor them in.

What I've found... is that I read their articles to glean info. I glance at their overall rankings. But, when making my purchases, I generally ignore the actual product ranking. So many times, I've found they place 'deals' at the top that don't turn out to be deals in the long run... especially for certain kinds of products.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Ready for some Raige?

These old morons have nothing better to do with their lives (kinda like me hanging out in the forums). My phone runs PERFECT! I haven't gone below 4 bars yet. Can't recommend the phone? Idiots. The most powerful phone on the planet and you can't "recommend" it because when you hold it like an idiot it loses signal.

The iPhone is the best purchase I have ever made. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE PHONE! I wanna smack this old goon!

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Been using my Verizon iPhone since February 7th, and I've not had one dropped call, even when holding the phone like this. :confused:

I've traveled all around New England and have failed to replicate the poor signal issue that everyone tried to make a big deal of.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
That is until they hold the phone in there hand and bam! The calls dropped and no signal.

Right, but then the headline should be: iPhone 4 can't make calls in places where iPhone 3GS can't make calls!

(Assuming that's true, I mean.)

So if that is the case, as you seem to agree, then why is this even a story? Who cares?

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Still overblown

Personally, I find the issue just as overblown now as it was back in June. I now own an iPhone 4, upgraded last month from an iPhone 3G (not s) and find it to be more sensitive and more reliable than my previous one and, as yet, has not dropped a single call on the AT&T network or any other unless I was in a known dead zone that no phone I have ever used or seen used has managed to defeat; this includes my old home in a valley not even a half-mile from the nearest tower.

Do I use a case? Yes, but I didn't when I made my tests simply because I was waiting for the case I wanted to be delivered. I didn't buy my case to bypass a perceived weakness but rather to offer some level of protection against scrapes and bumps my phones get in everyday use.

In this case, I consider Consumer Reports' non-recommendation as more prejudicial than realistic since the issue has no practical degradation to service that didn't already exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.