Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superamit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm looking for a combination wireless scanner and printer for our small office. Been researching HP and Canon and other, and with all the options it's difficult to tell what I should get!

NEED:
* Wireless Printing without fuss
* Wireless Scanning without fuss
* Full Mac support

Nice to have:
* Works without installing kludgy vendor software to print or scan (ie. Image Capture, CUPS drivers)
* Windoze support
* Cheap ink cartridge cost
* Ability to scan to a USB drive or SD card (so you can scan several pages without going back and forth to your compy)
* Ability to initiate scan from printer to a specific computer on network
* 802.11n
* Bonjour support/easy discoverability
* Looks cool

Don't care about:
* Photo printing (we have several of those)
* AirPrint support (doubt we'd use it, but I guess it doesn't hurt)

Any recs?

superamit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks, GGJstudios!

I just looked through that thread but some of the factors that matter to me aren't discussed:

* Works without kludgy vendor software for printing and scanning
* Ability to scan to a USB drive or SD card
* Ability to initiate scan from the printer to a specific computer on the network

I'm reading up on every printer mentioned on that thread but would still appreciate input from anyone who's got personal experience with printers with the three features above!

Amit

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
highly rec. HP 6500 wireless.

The only ?? when running down your entire list is scanning. I used to be able to scan directly to a computer of my choice from the printer buttons, but that was when using the HP software NOTE-I no longer have to use the HP software with Snow Leopard. So I have not figured out how to scan directly to the computer from the printer controls, but I would imagine one could. I originally set this one up with the HP software, but from what I understand if you have snow leopard no software is needed at all. I can scan no problem using print window on the Mac. I know you can print from a memory card, but not sure scanning to save to memory cards- I just don't know. Sorry. perhaps go to HP.com and download the manual and search for your answer to this one- this one should be answered there if it is possible.

The nice thing is I NEVER have to use any clunky printer software again thanks to Apple!!!

I did extensive research through MacWorld, consumer reports, etc and ended up with this one. It has performed great. Ink is cheap because they have XL ink cartridges (even in color) that last quite a while. I didn't need photo really either, just most of the things you listed. Consumer reports listed it as one of the cheapest combo printers to use per page and was a best buy on CR last year when we bought ours. I think the price has come down so I am sure there is either a great deal out there on this exact one, or a newer one with maybe a few more bells and whistles could be had for a decent price.

let me know if you have more questions- sorry for the scattered disorganized answer- it is March Madness season ya know!
good luck.

Last edited:

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Kodak printer are always good, i have a ESP5200 and it works with MAC OS and windows, plus you can refill the ink for under £20!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032AN4M6

That’s what I got recently. I think it does everything you need. I love mine:D

My in-laws got this one, and using Canon's software it was very difficult to set up for me. (and I am usually great at set up of tech.) That may have changed with SnowLeopard not requiring set up with printer co. software directly.

They are also not happy with their ink usage and Consumer reports rated this line of printers as more expensive than the HP and I think Kodak.

I have never had luck with Kodak stuff and the Mac, but I know others that do.

Vice92

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009

The only ?? when running down your entire list is scanning. I used to be able to scan directly to a computer of my choice from the printer buttons, but that was when using the HP software NOTE-I no longer have to use the HP software with Snow Leopard. So I have not figured out how to scan directly to the computer from the printer controls, but I would imagine one could. I originally set this one up with the HP software, but from what I understand if you have snow leopard no software is needed at all. I can scan no problem using print window on the Mac. I know you can print from a memory card, but not sure scanning to save to memory cards- I just don't know. Sorry. perhaps go to HP.com and download the manual and search for your answer to this one- this one should be answered there if it is possible.

The nice thing is I NEVER have to use any clunky printer software again thanks to Apple!!!

I did extensive research through MacWorld, consumer reports, etc and ended up with this one. It has performed great. Ink is cheap because they have XL ink cartridges (even in color) that last quite a while. I didn't need photo really either, just most of the things you listed. Consumer reports listed it as one of the cheapest combo printers to use per page and was a best buy on CR last year when we bought ours. I think the price has come down so I am sure there is either a great deal out there on this exact one, or a newer one with maybe a few more bells and whistles could be had for a decent price.

let me know if you have more questions- sorry for the scattered disorganized answer- it is March Madness season ya know!
good luck.

I currently have the 6500, and it works great. The XL cartridges last me almost a year at school (depending on my classes of course) , but one thing to note, if you are on a University wireless network, this printer will not print wireless. It just does not work very well. Its sporadic at best, due in part I think because it does not know which access point to hook into to get to my computer. On my wireless network at home, however, it works flawlessly. I also love the ability to print double-sided.

aksmax

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2002
Actually, I've been very satisfied with my HP 3180. It does what you describe and is quite economical. Might not be a current model anymore. I got it a year ago.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Actually, I've been very satisfied with my HP 3180. It does what you describe and is quite economical. Might not be a current model anymore. I got it a year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-7840W-Multifunction-Wireless-Interfaces/dp/B0016ZQ566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299883552&sr=8-1

I just got this one....awesome deal at $224 from Amazon (free ship for prime of course). Brother software integrates with OS X much better than my old Canon inkjet and the performance is very good both for printing and scanning.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-7840W-Multifunction-Wireless-Interfaces/dp/B0016ZQ566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299883552&sr=8-1

I just got this one....awesome deal at $224 from Amazon (free ship for prime of course). Brother software integrates with OS X much better than my old Canon inkjet and the performance is very good both for printing and scanning.

+1 on this brother unit, I have one at home on my network and one in an office as a stand alone unit for copy/scanning to file.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008

These are great Mac-devices. I threw away my working HP-OfficeJet G85 and replaced it with a Brother MFC-9840 which cost less (color laser!). The HP scanning software is total crap. Brother comes with OS9 and OSX in the box - just works. Scans right into Preview with 2400 DPI.
The only gotcha is the size - when the box was delivered I got a heart-attack. But my family likes to scan from glass; and I was sick of the toner and wanted a laser. The Duplex feeder and printer is great too- but increases the size of the device.

aksmax

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2002
Correction

Sorry, have to correct myself. It's the HP Photosmart C4780.

I was going from memory and mixed it up with my previous model, which wasn't even wireless, duh.

It suffered form some early issues with Snow Leopard, but I find it really solid now. I was just scanning and printing a few tax docs and it's great.

mcalevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Airprint

Go for the airprint. When is the last time Apple came out with a feature that did not prove to be a winner? Without it, you have already obsoleted your device.

superamit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For anyone who finds this thread later:

I ended up going with the Epson Workfroce 840. It doesn't have this feature (well it does, but only on PCs):

* Ability to initiate scan from printer to a specific computer on network

but fit the bill on all other counts and also looks to be quite fast.

In addition, it has a print-to-fax driver that lets you fax natively from OS X, seemed useful!

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. If I were able to get a laser (our building wiring is super flakey, can't add any high-power devices) I would have gone for one of the brother multi-functions recommended here.

nwbusa

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
BC, Canada

good luck.

This. And it is Airprint enabled.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
I recently bought this and love it. It uses 4 separate ink cartridges that are fairly inexpensive. Black is about $10 and the color ink is packaged together for about $26. You can get the XL ink for a little more. I just printed a 74 page color project with the supplied sample ink and still have some left over. It is eligible for the $100 rebate at Apple if you plan on buying a new Mac. If not, I just saw this at Costco the other day for $89. I find HP printers very reliable. This one replaced a 6 year old HP that recently stopped working properly.

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
I've got a brother 6490cw, and it seems to fit your needs. Works with image capture and cups, scans to sd card, ink is reasonably priced, as is the printer. I'm sure the other brother recommended above is also good. I've been impressed with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.