Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been looking around and can't seem to fine exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe someone can recommend a printer that you have. One of my problems is I want to scan wirelessly on my mac mini. Currently I have my hp 4600 connected to an airport express. Wireless printing works perfectly, but won't scan. I guess what I'm asking for is a recommendation on a wireless printer that does print/scan/fax. 

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been looking around and can't seem to fine exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe someone can recommend a printer that you have. One of my problems is I want to scan wirelessly on my mac mini. Currently I have my hp 4600 connected to an airport express. Wireless printing works perfectly, but won't scan. I guess what I'm asking for is a recommendation on a wireless printer that does print/scan/fax.*
Wireless print and scan, but no fax (free with a new Mac purchase): http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1411LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MQ&mco=MTgwOTAxMzc

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Canon's wireless multifunction devices are also good; I have the previous version of the MP640, which I got cheap with my last Mac, and it's worked impressively smoothly for printing and scanning wirelessly. Also no fax, but Canon's office multifunction devices (for example, the MX350) do faxing as well as wireless printing/scanning. I generally prefer Canon's printers for the somewhat cheaper ink and stable drivers.

An advantage of getting a "built in" wireless multifunction device is that you don't have to rely on your Airport to share it--it just connects to your wireless network from wherever you put it. I actually didn't want this feature initially, but it allowed me to put my printer where it fit better in the room without worrying about getting a cable to the computer or base station.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I am not certain of your requirements, but I dumped my hp printer for the SAMSUNG SCX-4500W,MF, 3-IN-1,16PPM, WIFI.

I know it's "dated". But:
1 it's sexy
2. It prints perfectly
3. Wifi is perfect
4. Laser and cheap to run
5 scans wirelessly, but no feeder tray
6. Copies.

Great printer for the home B&W only, laser wifi.

FWIW. Got mine on eBay refurbished for about 100.

I just got sick and tired of feeding the HP toner beast.

Good luck OP

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Wireless print and scan, but no fax (free with a new Mac purchase): http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1411LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MQ&mco=MTgwOTAxMzc

How's the ink life? does it eat ink like crazy.

Canon's wireless multifunction devices are also good; I have the previous version of the MP640, which I got cheap with my last Mac, and it's worked impressively smoothly for printing and scanning wirelessly. Also no fax, but Canon's office multifunction devices (for example, the MX350) do faxing as well as wireless printing/scanning. I generally prefer Canon's printers for the somewhat cheaper ink and stable drivers.

An advantage of getting a "built in" wireless multifunction device is that you don't have to rely on your Airport to share it--it just connects to your wireless network from wherever you put it. I actually didn't want this feature initially, but it allowed me to put my printer where it fit better in the room without worrying about getting a cable to the computer or base station.

Canon looks like it might be the winner for me.

I bought the HP Envy 100 All-in-One alongside with my MBA and it worked flawlessly.

This one is a little pricey for me, looks really big

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I am not certain of your requirements, but I dumped my hp printer for the SAMSUNG SCX-4500W,MF, 3-IN-1,16PPM, WIFI.

I know it's "dated". But:
1 it's sexy
2. It prints perfectly
3. Wifi is perfect
4. Laser and cheap to run
5 scans wirelessly, but no feeder tray
6. Copies.

Great printer for the home B&W only, laser wifi.

FWIW. Got mine on eBay refurbished for about 100.

I just got sick and tired of feeding the HP toner beast.

Good luck OP

Yup just looking color printer, my brother HL-2170W laser works great.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Just got an Epson ME 900WD - this one has no fax BUT the 960WD does, and has an auto document feeder (and faster print speed apparently).

The 900WD installed perfectly on a Macbook. Macbook Pro and the old desktop Windows Shuttle small form factor PC - all working over the wireless network.

Scans fine wirelessly, and prints and AUTO duplexes (A4 paper anyway, some smaller paper sizes won't).

The 900 particularly seems good value - really useful to have the auto duplex built in for double sided printing/copying.

http://www.epson.com.sg/epson_singa...jet/product.page?product_name=Epson_Me_960FWD

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have the Epson Workforce 323

It's a printer (inkjet), scanner, fax, and copier.

All functions work wirelessly for me with OS 10.6.x and 10.5.x on my network.

The only trick for me, was that I had my wireless network set to keep each networked device in it's own "cell". So, nothing could talk to each other (an additional anti-hacking measure - if someone managed to get onto my secured network). So, I had to disable that. But, after that, WiFi printing and scanning worked just fine.

It also has a USB port for direct connection if you like. I actually am using both. I have it direct connected through USB to my desktop (because my desktop is on a wired network which is separate of my WiFi network), and then my wireless portables and other devices talk to it over the WiFi network.

Seems to be a great printer. I've done a lot of full-color copies with it (whole page colored), and it's still only used a portion (perhaps 20%) of it's ink in the last 3 or 4 months of use. Granted, I have a laserjet for my heavy black and white volume printing.

One of the things I really like about the printer is that it has an automatic sheet feeder built-in if you want to set a stack of papers in to be copied or scanned or faxed (of course it still has the standard flatbed scanner as well).

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I have a Canon MX870 and love it. There's a newer model as well MX882. I got the MX with the Apple free printer promo and am glad I did.

IMHO, asking people about ink is like asking people about HD vendors. You'll find each brand has its own share of horror stories, so just pick one and go for it.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
How's the ink life? does it eat ink like crazy.

Canon looks like it might be the winner for me.

This one is a little pricey for me, looks really big

You may be right. My previous AIO was a Canon PIMXA MP610, it offered very good photo prints and I hooked it up to my Time Capsule, but it won't scan wirelessly. I do like Canon, but HP has AirPrint. I sold this 2 years old Canon on Craigslist and bought the HP Envy 100 for $100 (after Apple $100 rebate and $50 for the Canon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.