Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Yeah, not the best news for 3GS buyers. That said, I dont think anyone should have buyers remorse with the iP4. The display alone will make the upgrade worth while:) But, (if 3GS isnt on the fritz) waiting till Sept. may not be a bad idea. The A5 is superb.
The screen on my 3G s ended up not functioning twelve days ago and ended up buying a new iPhone 4 because I needed to. I must say that I'm pleased with my phone. The Retina Display on my new phone sure makes a world of a difference compared to my 3G s display.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Exactly. Why cannot every see this? The iPhone 3GS was a massive jump internally over the iPhone 1 / iPhone 2 (3G). The 3G was one of the lamest of the iPhone updates to date.

This statement is just wrong on so many levels.

Hardware speed is nice, but network access is the big thing for phones. Don't believe me? Switch off your 3G and spend a few days on the EDGE network and see how much fun your iPhone is.

Buying another 3G phone is just asking to be left behind by everyone else as LTE/4G is deployed and new apps become dependent on the high-speed connection that it offers -- it's akin to being the last person in the store to buy a regular DVD or VHS player.

Thanks, Apple, but no thanks. I'm not going to be tied a two year service agreement for an outdated phone made of a fragile material with reception issues. No LTE/4G = No sale as far as I'm concerned.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
So wait, not only is the timeline between iPhone 4 and 5 the largaest gap in the 5 iterations of the phone but it will only be minor internal hardware improvements?

All the while these new Android phones look slicker and slicker by the day with much larger screens (something I personally like)?

My iPhone 3G is on it's last legs, if the iPhone 5 is just a spec bumped 4 then count me out.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is awesome news, again it's brilliant because it states the iPhone 5 will be the same size as the iPhone 4, when I was at The Gadget Show Live on Friday I looked at all the new phones, the Galaxy S 2, the new Motorola and LG's the Xperia Play and Arc, the Nokia E7 (beautiful industrial design BTW) and I compared them all to my iPhone 4 and they were all MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE next to the iPhone. And as for Acer's 4.8" beast........ I saw that too and thought it was a PDA or mini computer, not a smart phone!! :eek::eek:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
O2 sales reps here are telling customers that the iPhone 5 is coming in June. Admittedly, sales reps are the last people I'd trust, but it's surprising that they're volunteering a specific month; and more so that they'd say something which might stop a customer buying a phone over the next 2 months.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I'm in in the same boat as you. My upgrade is in early May and I can't decide if I should get the iphone 4 or wait based off rumors...

but I think I'm just going to with the iphone 4, it already fits all my needs and I don't see what else apple could do for me in improvements for the next phone

Mine ended early March and I was going to wait till summer for the 5 but with all the speculation of it being delayed I went ahead and got the iPhone 4 a few weeks ago (Had a 3GS). I just didn't want to wait till June and then have to wait till September etc...

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Bad, bad, BAD! In my opinion, the iPhone has never had a significant upgrade/redesign. iPhone 1 through to 4 have just been bumps from the last.

If this is true I really think it's bad news for Apple. It's as if they had a great idea with the iPhone/iOS but can't really come up with any other great ideas. All they can do is add a few megapixels to the camera, stuff GPS into it, make it a bit thinner etc.

I'm really beginning to wonder if Apple is a bit of a one trick pony.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
"Kuo claims that the sixth-generation iPhone will be the model to carry a substantial redesign and could launch in the first half of 2012, even with a later-than-usual introduction of 2011's iPhone model."

This is just r-tarded, a long wait for minor tech spec bumps, and then a short wait after that for a major revision?

Might as well keep waiting until 2012 or move on to competing 4G phones.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This is awesome news, again it's brilliant because it states the iPhone 5 will be the same size as the iPhone 4, when I was at The Gadget Show Live on Friday I looked at all the new phones, the Galaxy S 2, the new Motorola and LG's the Xperia Play and Arc, the Nokia E7 (beautiful industrial design BTW) and I compared them all to my iPhone 4 and they were all MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE next to the iPhone. And as for Acer's 4.8" beast........ I saw that too and thought it was a PDA or mini computer, not a smart phone!! :eek::eek:

I believe Galaxy S 2 is actually lighter than iPhone 4 (and thinner too). So, unless pocket size is an issue, what's there to worry about?

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Please tell me why all of your phones are on their "last legs"? Do you all have dropsy or something?

I am still using my original iPhone (pre 3G), and it works just as well as it ever did. Still has the same flaws too.

But regardless, unless I drop it in the parking lot or something, I have no reason to believe that it won't still be going a year from now.

If you are spending your money on bigger/better/faster/stronger/new features, I understand that fully.

I don't understand why large quantities of people are commenting on why their phone is about to die?

So those of us that are still using 3gS's (that are on their last leg) should prolly go ahead and get a 4, and then wait for the 6...

ChrisNM

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
I'm not buying the iPhone 6 timeline.

The 5 rumors make some sense, so as to not piss off the new Verizon owners who couldn't wait for the 5 to come out in June. However, assuming the 5 isn't slated to begin production until October, why would Apple release a new phone 6 months (or less) later? That will just piss both AT&T AND Verizon users who upgrade to the 5. I can't see them ramping up production for a phone with a 6 month anticipated life span.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I like when people get all bent out of shape about rumors. If it's just a spec bump then don't buy it. If AT&T won't offer an early upgrade for the iPhone 6, if that's even more than vaporware, don't buy the 5.

The hardware is all nonsense to me until they announce iOS 5. I don't need a dual core overclocked A5 if there isn't a big software update to utilize it effectively.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I have to disagree with this comment, its not the Iphone man is USA's Networks. over here in england i have had no dropped calls (not a single one) beit the Iphone 3GS, 3G or 4 not a single dropped call and i am sure the majority of Iphone users here would state this.

I can confirm this.

I have many friends with iPhone 4's, all on different carriers here in canada and none of us have experienced a dropped call, only I have which was because the proximity had me end the call, but that was fixed since 4.2.1.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
So those of us that are still using 3gS's (that are on their last leg) should prolly go ahead and get a 4, and then wait for the 6...

How is your 3gs on its last leg? I have a 3g (look at that, no S) and it works just as well as the day I got it.

Why did iphone users think they are "entitled" to a new model every time one comes out?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
How is your 3gs on its last leg? I have a 3g (look at that, no S) and it works just as well as the day I got it.

Why did iphone users think they are "entitled" to a new model every time one comes out?

I agree, your phone really shouldn't be on "its last leg" but they are allowed to feel entitled to a new one whenever they want.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not buying the iPhone 6 timeline.

The 5 rumors make some sense, so as to not piss off the new Verizon owners who couldn't wait for the 5 to come out in June. However, assuming the 5 isn't slated to begin production until October, why would Apple release a new phone 6 months (or less) later? That will just piss both AT&T AND Verizon users who upgrade to the 5. I can't see them ramping up production for a phone with a 6 month anticipated life span.

Well it is important for them to actually try to get more competitive in hardware. Right now the iPhone 4 is far from being the best smartphone in terms of specs. The android phones coming out every other week are leapfrogging each other with better hardware and stuff.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Not so awesome news, I shoulda got a 4 a few months back then, oh well, maybe I'll wait to see what the white 4 looks like if its released on the 26th...

I am still using a 3g, how do you think people like me feel ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.