Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Let's hope AT&T improves their service to match Verizon by the time iphone 5 is released.

Dropped iPhone Calls Really Are an AT&T Thing

Sprint will likely get the iphone 5. I wonder how good their service is?

I'll tell you what I've told everybody, this is not an AT&T problem. I have the Atrix and I have NEVER dropped a call in Saint Louis. My wife's Samsung Focus never has dropped a call in six months either. My friend has the iPhone 4 and another has the 3GS in Saint Louis and they CONSTANTLY cannot connect Call Failed or drop calls.

It's the iPhone man.

/rant

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'm not buying the iPhone 6 timeline.

why would Apple release a new phone 6 months (or less) later? That will just piss both AT&T AND Verizon users who upgrade to the 5.

I agree, It would annoy everyone else in the rest of the world as well. ;)

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
Yea, my 3Gs is starting to act up a bit. I'm just going to get that replacement back panel and repair my phone so I can sell it...

But my concern is this: What if the iPhone 5 is just a 4.5 (slight spec bump), and since the externals are essentially the same, they could still come out in June. Getting a iPhone 4 now at full price would really bite.

But, what if it DOESN'T come out in June and it really comes out in Sept (still only a 4.5), anyone who waited until June would then only be 3 months away from the 5, and would probably prefer to wait rather then getting a 4 (unless Apple cuts the price a bit). That means those people would have waited 5-6 months while using a rapidly aging phone with a lot of remose for Apple for not being more open with their time table.

With all of these rumors of the timeline shifting, it makes it hard for people who WANT an iPhone to not look towards other options.

alcaponek

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Do you guys think that the iPhone 5 will have 4G? That could be another selling point.
i think it is about the same time as the second generation of LTE chips are about to start produce so maybe yes!:)

and I cannot imagine LTE iPhone 6 in September 2012 it would be too late but who can now say when iPhone 6 will be announced when 5 is so unsure :)

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I'll tell you what I've told everybody, this is not an AT&T problem. I have the Atrix and I have NEVER dropped a call in Saint Louis. My wife's Samsung Focus never has dropped a call in six months either. My friend has the iPhone 4 and another has the 3GS in Saint Louis and they CONSTANTLY cannot connect Call Failed or drop calls.

It's the iPhone man.

/rant

And I'll tell you what I've told everybody else. I had verizon for years. No dropped calls and signal in locations other carriers had none. I got the iphone in November on ATT. Weaker signal. Not only my phone, but in my office, my home and family's homes, non-iphones on ATT have worse signal.

If you are in the heart of a city and not in a particular building, then ATT is just fine. But go to certain areas in rural america and Verizon is much better.

So for my experience ATT is the problem.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
"the new iPhone will be largely identical to the iPhone 4 in appearance"

Good. It's a beautiful design and still the best looking phone on the market. Don't mess with success.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
And I'll tell you what I've told everybody else. I had verizon for years. No dropped calls and signal in locations other carriers had none. I got the iphone in November on ATT. Weaker signal. Not only my phone, but in my office, my home and family's homes, non-iphones on ATT have worse signal.

If you are in the heart of a city and not in a particular building, then ATT is just fine. But go to certain areas in rural america and Verizon is much better.

So for my experience ATT is the problem.

definitely agree that verizon has a better network than att in rural areas.

TreRep

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
This is in line with the iPhone life cycle.

2007 - iPhone (the Apple Beta)

2008 - iPhone 3G - Complete Redesign (or, IMHO, the "real" launch)

2009 - iPhone 3GS - Modest update

2010 - iPhone 4 - Complete redesign

2011 - iPhone 4.5 - Modest update

2012 - iPhone 5 - Complete redesign. (or at least, significant overhaul.)

iPad, iPod Touch & iPod Nano follow this curve. I feel like we can expect a revolutionary new device every 2 years, and a modest upgrade in between.

seems like apple is using the same modus operandi "tick-tock" as intel :cool::apple:

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)

It's the iPhone man.

/rant

I have to disagree with this comment, its not the Iphone man is USA's Networks. over here in england i have had no dropped calls (not a single one) beit the Iphone 3GS, 3G or 4 not a single dropped call and i am sure the majority of Iphone users here would state this.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'll tell you what I've told everybody, this is not an AT&T problem. I have the Atrix and I have NEVER dropped a call in Saint Louis. My friend has the iPhone 4 and another has the 3GS in Saint Louis and they CONSTANTLY cannot connect Call Failed or drop calls.

It's the iPhone man.

Living outside of the US it's funny as the dropped call thing always seems to affect American users the most yet people leap to the conclusion it is a problem with the phone. I have owned the original iPhone, 3G and iPhone 4 in the family and no issues here in the UK with dropped calls on any of the phones.

Obviously had a few dropped calls over the years but it is not that frequent. I did notice that the iPhone had worse reception in very low signal areas (all Models) compared to my Dad's old Nokia which has a small external transmitter but then again that Nokia beats every smart phone I have ever seen for reception.

Although I don't think any device with an internal antenna is going to out perform one with an external antenna but taking the rest of the world into account AT&T are definitely a factor in the dropped calls as they seem to be way more frequent in the USA on AT&T than other service providers around the world.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I just got a revelation, iPhone mini in WWDC, iPhone 5 in september or january.

The iPhone mini will deprecate the 3Gs still on sale, and will stop the stocks from going down because the missed release cycle.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Geez, what defines one to be an analysts? These reports we have been reading recently are completely absurd.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Can we get a...

Can we get an article on these research companies/analysts? I seriously have no idea who they are, why they dod what they do, and how they make their money. Seems like we could all be getting played just to cause the market to fluctuate so some rich arseholes can increase their ridiculously huge coffers only to work the system so they don't have to pay any taxes.

Wow, sorry for the jaded rant. Tax day makes me grumpy.

But seriously, a spotlight on these "experts" who are quotes for frequently and drive the tech blogs into a feeding frenzy would be welcome.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
I have to disagree with this comment, its not the Iphone man is USA's Networks. over here in england i have had no dropped calls (not a single one) beit the Iphone 3GS, 3G or 4 not a single dropped call and i am sure the majority of Iphone users here would state this.

Clearly not otherwise the rest of the world would also be having dropped calls. We don't get any noticeable dropped calls from the i4 over here.

Living outside of the US it's funny as the dropped call thing always seems to affect American users the most yet people leap to the conclusion it is a problem with the phone. I have owned the original iPhone, 3G and iPhone 4 in the family and no issues here in the UK with dropped calls on any of the phones.

Obviously had a few dropped calls over the years but it is not that frequent. I did notice that the iPhone had worse reception in very low signal areas (all Models) compared to my Dad's old Nokia which has a small external transmitter but then again that Nokia beats every smart phone I have ever seen for reception.

Although I don't think any device with an internal antenna is going to out perform one with an external antenna but taking the rest of the world into account AT&T are definitely a factor in the dropped calls as they seem to be way more frequent in the USA on AT&T than other service providers around the world.

I agree with these. I've not had any problems with dropped calls in Northern Ireland either.

inbeforetheboat

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Hopefully they will release Iphone 5 this fall. My 3gs is getting slow but it still works, could be the software but the overall design needs a refreshment.
I refuse to buy the Iphone 4 because it's about a year old now, to buy an Iphone 4 now is just plain stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.