Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrw00tastic

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I for one am happy with my Verizon iPhone and didn't regret purchasing it with the knowledge that a newer iPhone would be out later this year. I tried the Incredible and didn't like it and my contract will be up in time for the iPhone 6 which i'm sure by that time will be guaranteed to have LTE.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
"Just wait for the Verizon iPhone 4 numbers!"
"Just wait for the White iPhone 4 numbers!"
"Just wait for the iPhone 4S numbers!"
"Just wait for the iPhone 5 numbers!"

I'm starting to see a pattern.

For all intents and purposes, the 4S is the same thing as the iPhone 5. On top of that, I don't think anyone speculated huge sales of the white iPhone 4. So, while you may see a pattern, it's only in the comments you pulled out of your ass; not due to any factual evidence.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I've been waiting 4 years to get an iPhone, and now that Verizon has the iPhone, I can finally get one when my contract is up for renewal this December :D However, it appears that Apple is no longer at the forefront of mobile technology. Even with the release of the iPhone 5 in the fall, I bet it will still be last years tech.

Sorry, Apple, but I'm getting a 4G HTC Android come winter.

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I still use a Verizon dumbphone. I see no real reason to switch to iphone, simply because I have little interest in the device (plus, I can't afford a data plan right now, which is required when you buy a Verizon smartphone)

Thanks for sharing.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
I still use a Verizon dumbphone. I see no real reason to switch to iphone, simply because I have little interest in the device (plus, I can't afford a data plan right now, which is required when you buy a Verizon smartphone)

Insightful. Thanks!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i agree with many of the sentiments here, and this is why i think its wrong to assume that the white iphone 4 needs "breathing room" before the next generation (which by all accounts isn't going to be an aesthetic change anyway, just a processor bump).

its partly apple's own fault for having created almost a "tradition" of summer iphone releases, that are so heavy promoted in the media that everyone starts expecting them, even those who don't read these sites or know what a wwdc even is.

i'm not saying that it won't in fact be a fall release, and apple probably was hoping these interim releases would energize sales in the meantime. if anything though, they're just mitigating an already trickling demand.

now for my personal rant: i was foolish and bought a iphone 3g 2 months before the iphone 3gs was announced. add to that the fact that all the carriers in canada lock you into outrageous 3 year contracts, and i'm left with hardware that struggles with/can't run the current OS and is going to feel even more comparatively crippled as ios5 and other smartphone os's evolve. (feature lust aside, the basic functions of the phone become tortoise slow with the newer os's, and carriers require you to upgrade to the newest software available for your phone if you want any support from them) and there's nothing i can do about all that. canada may be a uniquely ****** market with these ultra-long contracts, but you can sure as ***** bet i'm never again going to buy the year old tech. it may seem "good enough" at the time, but you have to think ahead to how they'll bog down the OS over the next 3 years.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008

Verizon requires a $30 month data plan....AT&T offers one for $15 if you don't use a lot of data. That'll save you $360 over the 2 year contract.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The real measurement of how well the CDMA phone will do is when apple releases the iPhone 5. That way people can measure the performance when both carriers are starting off at the same time.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
The key will be when Verizon gets the iPhone 5, as many have already said. But I don't see how contract commitments would be holding back current Verizon customers. Verizon customers have never bought a phone en masse like AT&T users with iPhones. Current AT&T customers looking to switch, however, would presumably be locked in to a 3GS contract for at least another couple of months, though at this point the ETF on a June or July 2009 contract is substantially less than another month of service. But they probably also believe a new iPhone will be coming in June, which might explain why they're content to sit tight.

Nothing about the CDMA iPhone matters until the new edition is released. Then we'll get a clearer picture of iPhone interest.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I will not make the switch back to Verizon until Apple releases an iPhone with a 4G chip in it AND completely re-designs the antenna so that I can hold the phone any way I damn well please and still have good signal.

I understand they did make some antenna changes so it does not do the death signal drop as much as it did.

Does not help with 4G though. But my phone barely holds a day's charge as it is. I don't think 4G right now would be better. Great speed. For 3-4 hours.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Name 1 Android device with sales figures like the iPhone 4.

That's not what my point is about. Did I argue that iPhone 4 isn't the top selling phone? It is.

But iOS is slipping and every time people starts saying wait for iPhone #, then iOS will gain again. iPhone # is released, it doesn't happen, people start talking about iPhone #+1.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'm an Apple fan, but the truth has to be told: a) 3.5" is TOO small to be practical. I have a Motorola DEFY with a 3.7" display, and even then, the on screen keyboard is not large enough in portrait mode, at least 4 to 4.3" is vital.

Why not 5"? Or 6"? 4.3" is "vital?" I doubt most people desire a phone that's the size of an old-school PDA. I know I don't.

Google are keeping Apple in check, and that's good for us consumers!

Who is keeping Google in check? :eek:

doubleusn

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
No surprises here...

If you consider the details this is of no surprise.

1) Too many still on contract to switch given the release date of the vPhone.
2) Too many see it as full $ for older tech as the next iPhone should be soon.

I honestly think that the iPhone4 will still sell well as it is about to become, what the 3GS is now... the 2nd tier less $$ option. As people come off contracts or their subsidy becomes avail again, people will switch, and the non early adopter types will be happy with a less $ iPhone4 option.

You never know with Apple, but you have to wonder if they will just drop an iPhone4S in June and then we will see LTE next year as Tim Cook said the chips still draw too much power.

An iPhone4S with A5, more mem, 3.7 display, and maybe dual mode, will be be enough for the 3GS crowd coming out of contract and the original iPhone4 will make money on the value shoppers who want an iPhone.

I think the next iPhone, regardless of name (5 or 4S) will just be an iPhone4 with an A5, 3.7 screen, etc as LTE chips still draw too much power and are too big, and Apple can still make money using the same case with a 4/4S line up.

lanthom

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Not the right reason...

This is. People who are or were with Verizon are now:

1. Waiting for their contract to be up for renewal so they can upgrade
  2. Waiting for the iPhone 5
  3. Already switched to AT&T and may switch back once their AT&T contract is up

It's possible that once there's a new CDMA-capable iPhone and people's contracts are expiring with their Android smartphones they bought from Verizon as a stopgap that you'll see Android's share drop a bit.

I went ahead and got the iPhone on Verizon when It came out only because I was using a Storm 2 and anything was better than that piece of crap. LTE was not in my area and not planned to be for a bit so the HTC Thunderbolt was of no interest to me so I went ahead and bought an 8 month old phone. I just don't see any enhancement (except LTE) that could make the iPhone 4 completely obsolete before my contract is up. I've enjoyed this phone much more than my Storm. It's nice to have a phone that will do what you ask it to, when you ask it to do it.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
The real measurement of how well the CDMA phone will do is when apple releases the iPhone 5. That way people can measure the performance when both carriers are starting off at the same time.

If the iPhone 5 Rumors are true, the iPhone 5 will still have CDMA access for the Verizon version and all of its crippled features: slow network, no data/voice multitasking, limited conference call abilities.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
I think a lot of the Verizon fans are missing the boat on this topic.

This is about Apple expectations for the CDMA iPhone. I would think that Apple is sophisticated enough to bake all the reasons suggested her on this board (i.e. iPhone 5 release, Android adoption, etc) into their expectations.

I'm sure the CDMA iPhone product manager isn't sitting in his office in Cupertino thinking "damn, how did I miss that the iPhone 5 would impact this launch."

AT&T is still selling the heck out of the iPhone 3GS (at a discounted price of course), so there is obviously a population out there that doesn't delay every purchase waiting for the next great thing.

Had to share this pic from Tom's Hardware...

,U-S-290116-3.jpg

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
For my money, I recently switched to the vPhone from a June 2009 contract with AT&T for the 3GS. I've given up hope that the iPhone 5 will be worth the wait and resigned myself to 20 months with the iPhone 4 until I'm able to pick up the i6 in January 2013, or wait for the i7 (if it's back to June for 2013) depending on the feature set for the i6.

Honestly, finally having a 3G service that actually works, even if it's maybe a little slower (it's hard to compare, really), was well worth it.

Hyakku

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Eh, people are reading the data completely wrong. The iPhone 4 dropped on Verizon in mid to late February and had 2.2mil activations by the end of the quarter (roughly 6-7 weeks later), at & t had it for roughly six weeks (almost double the time of Verizon) and only managed 3.6 mil activations. Verizon is activating MORE iPhones than AT&T at a faster rate, including the 3GS deal.

Im trying to figure out why media sites keep getting this so hopelessly wrong. This device sold 2 million+ units being a ten month old product in SIX WEEKS. Do you realize that that is nearly 15% of the lifetime sales of the most successful line of android phones (the galaxy s) in six weeks? If that's bad then **** according to this logic android is really ****ed.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I need more of you a$$holes to switch to Verizon, thanks to you and Ma Bell I still can't get a decent 3G signal in any airport, city or crowded space. And I can't go CDMA because I go overseas a lot. Otherwise I would have switched in February.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Verizon already had a lot of high end android devices so maybe those customers didn't want to switch to a new platform? I know a few verizon iphone adopters that switched back to android. Lol maybe they just realized that at the end of the day all smartphones are essentially the same.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
When you take forever to get the phone on VZW you should expect people to take their time switching.
First, you've let Android have all that time to get a following because it's the only alternative for the lack of an iPhone. Those people have also bought apps that they now enjoy and would have to re-purchase on the iPhone. This happens with video game systems as well.
Second, people are in 2yr contracts. There are very few people who are willing to pay more for a phone they can buy 4 months later at half price on top of the termination fee.
Third, not that many people hate AT&T it's just the handful of VZW fans that make it look that way.
And finally you have the reporting and reviews. All the reports I saw were telling VZW people and potential switchers to hold off on getting the iPhone 4. No 4G, no white and still had the questionable signal issues. The "iPhone 5" was supposed to come out mid to late summer so people were concerned Apple would sell them a phone and then jump up 6 months later with the newer, thiner, better version and leave folks hanging.

People are paying attention to these reports and that's why I feel the numbers were low.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
"Just wait for the Verizon iPhone 4 numbers!"
"Just wait for the White iPhone 4 numbers!"
"Just wait for the iPhone 4S numbers!"
"Just wait for the iPhone 5 numbers!"

I'm starting to see a pattern.

Who exactly is waiting? Apple's 3GS iPhone, introduced in 2009, is beating every other phone's sales in the United States except for one. Can you guess which is number 1?

Verizon iPhone Helps U.S. Become a Smartphone Majority

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.