Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Quite a few of the 200 new features in iOS 5 are focused on accessibility, to "make it easier for people with mobility, hearing, vision, and cognitive disabilities to get the most from their iOS devices." Apple has long been a front-runner with making their devices easy-to-use for their more challenged users.

vibrationillustration.jpg

Buried in the Accessibility settings of iOS 5 is a custom vibration creator. Users can choose from several vibration patterns, illustrated above, or create your own by tapping on the screen at the desired tempo. Taps patterns are recorded and can be used for your vibration alert.

Thanks Brent!

Article Link: iOS 5 Allows You to Tap Out Custom Vibration Patterns

Last edited by a moderator:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Really cool. Accessibility is not just a “checkbox” Apple feels they have to fill. They really give it the attention it deserves.

(If the vib motor can be semi-precisely controlled like this, it makes me hope for more varied game force-feedback effects too. The usual “long buzz” seldom fits the game action, and then it’s not immersive, not worth the battery life to me, even annoying! So I just disable it.)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My wife's parents are deaf and these features will be extremely useful for them. Her mom is looking to get her first iPhone this fall when the iPhone 4S/5 or whatever is released. I do wish, however, that Apple would simply incorporate this into the standard notifications settings. I'm hoping that there isn't some strange "deaf mode" that has to be activated to use this, such as killing the volume across the entire device when it's activated.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
My wife's parents are deaf and these features will be extremely useful for them. Her mom is looking to get her first iPhone this fall when the iPhone 4S/5 or whatever is released. I do wish, however, that Apple would simply incorporate this into the standard notifications settings. I'm hoping that there isn't some strange "deaf mode" that has to be activated to use this, such as killing the volume across the entire device when it's activated.

No, you just turn it on in the settings. I think the biggest thing will be the LED flash for notifications. I haven't seen any other platform do something like this.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Not to be one who always wants more, but...
Can I set different vibrations for when different people call and I am in a meeting?
Like:
Buzz..buzz = the pizza guy - I'd better pick up.
Buzzzzzzz.........Buzzzzzzz - my mother in law - keep it in my pocket.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is awesome. Hope it's just software so existing iPhone 4's get all the functionality :)

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Not to be one who always wants more, but...
Can I set different vibrations for when different people call and I am in a meeting?
Like:
Buzz..buzz = the pizza guy - I'd better pick up.
Buzzzzzzz.........Buzzzzzzz - my mother in law - keep it in my pocket.

Yes, you can set different patterns per contact.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

crisss1205 said:

No, you just turn it on in the settings. I think the biggest thing will be the LED flash for notifications. I haven't seen any other platform do something like this.

It is quite a strange one. Hopefully future iPhones will have an actual notification light instead of hooking into the LED flash.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is quite a strange one. Hopefully future iPhones will have an actual notification light instead of hooking into the LED flash.

its almost as if that was a sign. i feel like will implement this either in the next iphone or the 2012 version. just seems so because they are not going to want people to rely on the LED flash.

oneofthesedaves

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sweet! I hate it when I pull my phone out during an inopportune moment just to realize that some app sent me a dumb notification and it wasnt something important. Now if they could just pur a more effective vibrator in the next iPhone. Half the time I can't feel it. That's what she said..

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
amazing how Apple ALWAYS implements features so innovative that we wouldn't be expecting! :D

Ya that is really cool. Do we all get to use this or just accessibility??? :(

There are several accessibility features that I think anyone would love. I hope they start making them available to everyone without having the accessibility features turned on!

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Innovative? I hope you're being sarcastic! My BlackBerry has had this feature for quite some time now...this REALLY comes in handy under several circumstances...for example, custom vibrations while in a belt clip/holster or out of w belt clip/holster.

While at work, in meetings, out and about, etc...my phone is holstered...custom bibrations let me kmow if it's a Facebook alert, twitter, a txt, email, the calendar, a BBM, or a phone call...it's very convenient knowing what your phone is doing, without having to pull it out of your pocket, or out of it's case every time you get a notification.

iOS5 has brought several new features, and enhancements(like notifications) that are slowly convincing me to finally switch to an iPhone. I own literally 20-30 apple products, and would love to add an iPhone 4 to my collection...am only hanging onto my BB because of th keyboard...not a big fan of touch screens, and honestly, the BB OS (especially BB6) has so many shortcuts, hotkeys, and little built in features that make day to day productivity so much easier...Apple has finallybstarted to bring some of these features over to iOS...I just wish the iPhone would come to Sprint, as I've been a long time customer, and am Ber happy with their device and plans.

amazing how Apple ALWAYS implements features so innovative that we wouldn't be expecting! :D

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is awesome. Hope it's just software so existing iPhone 4's get all the functionality :)

:confused: Have you not been paying attention lately? This IS running on an existing iPhone 4; this is the iOS 5 beta software... where the heck have you been?

I don't know what's happened to this forum, but lately, nobody bothers to read or pay attention to what's actually going on. :rolleyes:

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Apple outdoing the jailbreak community

I used a utility from the Cydia store to get this functionality, and I'm pleased, and very surprised that Apple added it to iOS 5.
It seems like the type of feature that Apple has passed over in the past for being too complex or too likely to be underused. I think the iOS team can strike a balance between allowing users deeper customization while keeping the phone easy to use. I'd be for a slider from Simple to Advanced with a caveat, for instance.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Did a short video for those who can't see how to or the feature

http://t.co/81BLniJ

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I love these awesome undiscovered titbits. How about some configurable haptic feedback, next time?
I loved Haptic Pro when I was jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.