Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Since the iOS 5 will be out for iPad 1 and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation.

So yes.

Wrong, mirroring is iPad 2 only. I'm sure the new iPhone will have the same capabilities too.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
So it is now either cabled with an adapter or airplay with Apple TV? Still both very expensive options. I don't think it is worth it for just one device, iPad 2. Especially if you have so many other devices.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
So it is now either cabled with an adapter or airplay with Apple TV? Still both very expensive options. I don't think it is worth it for just one device, iPad 2. Especially if you have so many other devices.

Do you know of any other two devices that will stream its screen to and HDTV for under $99 and do it well?

Let's not discount all the other things that the AppleTV does either. AppleTV is dirt-cheap for what it does and it's just gonna keep getting better.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

The developer needs to add support for the TV's aspect ratio. There is a good chance Angry Birds will do this when iOS 5 is officially released.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
maybe that's the reason why...... I'd buy an apple tv for that maybe not for the gaming..... but movies would rock as long as I could mirror not only my ipad but my iphone and my mac to the tv(use cables now) or the ps3 for movies with a half a** setup of a server that crashes more often the not...... so yea this would be cool.... y would I wanna display something from my ipad on my computer if the content(minus the games and apps) prob came from that pc in the first place ???

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're staying, but the Apple TV will already display all the media on your Mac on your TV as long as it's in a quicktime compatible format.

This does make the Apple TV more useful though, mirror apps, the web, etc. (Not so much for YouTube, Netflix, or your iTunes library since it does that already.)

BUT WHY is this function not coming to the iPhone and just the iPad??? That's just stupid. Especially for gaming. The iPhone is a bit more ergonomically friendly for that kind of thing.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Since the iOS 5 will be out for iPad 1 and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation.

So yes.

Wrong. The feature is called AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2, meaning just the iPad 2. The iPad 1's hardware isn't powerful enough to pull this off untethered. However, the iPhone 4 has zero hardware limitations.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

Oh wait, (face slap), yes, if you could mirror your iPhone or iPod touch, it makes the need for a larger tablet screen less. Some people wouldn't bother buying the iPad. Bad Apple! Hello jailbreak community...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Wrong. The feature is called AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2, meaning just the iPad 2. The iPad 1's hardware isn't powerful enough to pull this off untethered. However, the iPhone 4 has zero hardware limitations.

Oh wait, (face slap), yes, if you could mirror your iPhone or iPod touch, it makes the need for a larger tablet screen less. Some people wouldn't bother buying the iPad. Bad Apple! Hello jailbreak community...

The iPad 1 and iPhone 4 have the same processor. I would expect the next iPhone to have the exact mirroring capabilities when it comes out.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
In the previous article everyone sides with Apple on the Samsung lawsuit. Everyone cried foul because Samsung seemed to copy Apple's design. Now, this news comes out of Apple essentially doing the SAME EXACT THING as Nintendo. Everyone cheers Apple. Make up your minds, is doing the same thing as another company good or bad? Or is it only good when it's your company doing the same thing. Either way, this won't beat out the Wii U as this has no legendary titles like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, or Kirby. Not unless you consider Angry Birds legendary enough to compete with that.

Wow, just wow.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Did you not see this coming?

This opens up all kinds of possibilities.

SJ demoing the original iPad was like the doors of perception finally opening.

Post-PC era, guys. Enjoy it. Just don't get left behind because it won't be any fun.

Meh doesn't compare to playing Crysis 2 or Battlefield on my awesome pc.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Thats the thing, Nintendo could probably easily become the Top Dog in the iOS App Store, look at their DS Games, I bet most of them could easily be ported to run on iPhone.

barberio

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Thats the thing, Nintendo could probably easily become the Top Dog in the iOS App Store, look at their DS Games, I bet most of them could easily be ported to run on iPhone.

Nintendo are starting to be squeezed because they run platforms more closed and locked down than Apple ever has. The last time they dabbled in releasing their first party titles on someone elses hardware was for the CDi, and that was only a IP licence to a low budget producer that shipped pretty awful products. Nintendo maintain control of their own ecosystem of accessories, downloadable item store et al.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Looks cool but just seems pointless to me. I mean most people have a PS3, 360, gaming PC and/or Wii at home so... :confused:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Yeah, because nobody ever takes their iPad out of the house...

This is the same thinking that said fail to the iPad when it came out because "it's just a giant iPod Touch." 14 months and 25 million units later...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
While this will never be the primary way to play games on an iPad, it is very cool!

Kind of like the AppleTV is a console... only with all the brains and storage being in the wireless controller. Neat!

I’d certainly be tempted to spend the extra $70 on an AppleTV instead of a video adapter, if/when I want that ability for my iPad.

WHAT?!

Dude open your mind. MMOPG with Map based on iPad with controls and full suite of action on the TV. Pull in multiple US users with ATV's and a treasure hunt would make Carmen San Diego WORTH its weight in gold when that cartoon debuted.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Fyi

this works in the current build of real racing 2. I didn't expect it to but I upgraded my atv 2 today and the iPad fully functions as a controller only and the game is formatted for HDTV's.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

I don't see why it wouldn't play on a Mac. Right now Airplay gives you a choice to stream to Apple TV or a Mac. I don't see why we wouldn't have the same option here.

soapsuds

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
Wow, that lag looked pretty bad (maybe 250 ms or more) when he was playing Angry Birds. I don't see how Real Racing could improve on that, if it's really due to having to compress the video stream, send it over the wifi network, and then have the AppleTV decode it and display it. I realize people are saying they played it and it was okay, but it's hard to imagine it would be usable for action games.

If the next AppleTV has enough graphical horsepower to run the game directly and use the iPad just as a smart controller, that would seem like it would work better, but it doesn't make any sense for Apple to give the Apple TV as much processing power as the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch since it's primarily for watching movies and has a $99 price point.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
They need to make some type of high-data transfering signal (bc bluetooth sucks) into every single monitor / tv..

Imagine whipping out your iPhone 5, playing completely full HD games and videos AND NOT PAYING FOR OVER USAGE?

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.