Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

Angry Birds is Mirrored. It doesn't take up the entire TV even on the Engadget movie. Real Racing HD is made for the AppleTV to display in 16:9.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I like it. I'm sure it will be good for more than just games too.

Maybe that company with the joysticks that stick to the ipad surface will come in handy?

Toast4life88

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Really?

In the previous article everyone sides with Apple on the Samsung lawsuit. Everyone cried foul because Samsung seemed to copy Apple's design. Now, this news comes out of Apple essentially doing the SAME EXACT THING as Nintendo. Everyone cheers Apple. Make up your minds, is doing the same thing as another company good or bad? Or is it only good when it's your company doing the same thing. Either way, this won't beat out the Wii U as this has no legendary titles like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, or Kirby. Not unless you consider Angry Birds legendary enough to compete with that.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
In the previous article everyone sides with Apple on the Samsung lawsuit. Everyone cried foul because Samsung seemed to copy Apple's design. Now, this news comes out of Apple essentially doing the SAME EXACT THING as Nintendo. Everyone cheers Apple. Make up your minds, is doing the same thing as another company good or bad? Or is it only good when it's your company doing the same thing. Either way, this won't beat out the Wii U as this has no legendary titles like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, or Kirby. Not unless you consider Angry Birds legendary enough to compete with that.

A. This is not Apple doing the copying.

B. Apple built in this functionality before anyone saw the Wii U. I can't remember the order of the announcements, but iOS 5 was either the same day as or the day before the Nintendo announcement.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

B. Apple built in this functionality before anyone saw the Wii U. I can't remember the order of the announcements, but iOS 5 was either the same day as or the day before the Nintendo announcement.

If anything this is the other way around versus what Nintendo does. They do all the processing on their "AppleTV" and send the results not only to the tablet, but to the screen as well. Let me know when the Apples stuff has 4 additional players on the screen doing stuff separate from what the iPad player is doing...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

Your iPad's resolution is not the same as your HDTV which is why you're getting the black bars. You're going to have to change the settings on the TV to stretch or something to remove the bars.

Games that support mirroring like Real Racing HD will have 2 separate outputs, 1 that is tailored for the TV and one for the iPad which is why you don't see the bars.

It's the same setup when you do mirroring on a Mac laptop to a bigger screen or monitor. The resolution can only be as big as the smallest size, which would be your iPad. Kind of confusing but hopefully that makes sense.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
If anything this is the other way around versus what Nintendo does. They do all the processing on their "AppleTV" and send the results not only to the tablet, but to the screen as well. Let me know when the Apples stuff has 4 additional players on the screen doing stuff separate from what the iPad player is doing...

Good point. It's fundamentally different. I am kind of intrigued by the Nintendo thing. If the price is right, I'd be interested, but I don't see how the price could possibly be right...

fjsiskilroy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Auburn Hills MI
IOS 5 SDk for Apple TV

Got to think that will be tightened up.

You could tighten it up if Apple allowed Apps in the AppleTV itself. This would allow the games to be run locally in the AppleTV and use the iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) as the controller.

The mechanic I imagine is for the App in the iPad to load part of the code in the AppleTV(the same way that disks on game consoles load up the next stage.

That way you could truly use it as a game console.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
so let me play this game on my ipad over playing forza on the xbox 360? :confused:

mmm nope.

i still yet to find a compelling ipad game.

angry birds was pretty overrated

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010

I think it is one of my groupies you are responding to. Some people want to characterize all Apple users as fanboys and couch debates within certain guidelines. I refused to take their bait down and endless nonsensical discussion and I noticed my harmless post on this thread was rated negative followed by his post. LOL

Personally I'd like it if Apple and Nintendo somehow joined by either a buyout or collaboration. There would be real synergy.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

Apple's copying because they did it first?

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I think it is one of my groupies you are responding to. Some people want to characterize all Apple users as fanboys and couch debates within certain guidelines. I refused to take their bait down and endless nonsensical discussion and I noticed my harmless post on this thread was rated negative followed by his post. LOL

Personally I'd like it if Apple and Nintendo somehow joined by either a buyout or collaboration. There would be real synergy.

Man, I would love to play classic Nintendo games on my iPhone. I don't see it happening, but I'll go ahead and dream.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Now this is a game changer! I think this has the potential of really excelling the iPad into a gaming device.

Interesting the racing game took up the whole display.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

fjsiskilroy said:
Got to think that will be tightened up.

You could tighten it up if Apple allowed Apps in the AppleTV itself. This would allow the games to be run locally in the AppleTV and use the iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) as the controller.

The mechanic I imagine is for the App in the iPad to load part of the code in the AppleTV(the same way that disks on game consoles load up the next stage.

That way you could truly use it as a game console.

Is there lag because the program is not on the apple TV itself, or is there lag because the control instructions have to be delivered through your network, as opposed to directly from one device to another?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Man, I would love to play classic Nintendo games on my iPhone. I don't see it happening, but I'll go ahead and dream.

Speaking of Nintendo, they should release one game to get an instant hit: The original donkey kong with all 4 screens. Someone showed me you can find a ROM of it but If Nintendo sold this for Wii there would be many buyers from people who used to play. Most versions out there only have 3 of the screens.

Nintendo could do another thing for classic games: have competitions. Purchasers of classic games could play and compete regionally. The scores get uploaded and best players move on to higher levels of competition. And you only get "one quarter" per play.

That is one thing I discovered about the classic games. If you play them for free with endless additions of credits then it gets boring fast. But if you play for high score on one credit it has the same feel as back in the day when you were dropping money per play. Of course competing with others is more fun.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there lag because the program is not on the apple TV itself, or is there lag because the control instructions have to be delivered through your network, as opposed to directly from one device to another?

Cause the program isn't on the AppleTV itself.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Did you not see this coming?

This opens up all kinds of possibilities.

SJ demoing the original iPad was like the doors of perception finally opening.

Post-PC era, guys. Enjoy it. Just don't get left behind because it won't be any fun.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I click play and I'm forced to watch a crappy Walgreens ad???... and by "forced", I mean I closed the window after 2 seconds.

Banners, lower-thirds, text, whatever, those ads are fine... but I'm not sitting through crappy pre-rolls.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Didn't the DreamCast do it first?

I don't know, and I'm not sure why that's even relevant. I'd rather not go down the trollish road of who was the absolute "first" to implement an idea, even if only vaguely related to current implementations. I was obviously suggesting that Apple is implementing this technology before Nintendo, so they couldn't possibly be "copying" it from them, although the two implementations are completely different anyway.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I just bought the game and played a little. There is no lag at all during game play because using mirroring, however, I had quite a few annoying glitches that caused the whole game to stutter. I don't know if that's due to the beta nature of IOS or something going on with my network. It is really awesome when it's working. I hope they/I can work the glitches out.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

I have an apple TV on every TV I have (3). My mind went strait to what Intel is already doing... Wireless HD transmission from laptop to compatible device. I would much rather connect an Apple TV to an HD projector at the office and be able to use it wirelessly with any Mac in the office. (no need for compatible device) They have something here....give it a little time. Oh yeah, apple TV would need to be 1080 rather than 720 for it to really work out for me. I'm pumped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.