Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Extra 3 months? Did i miss the press release saying so?

There are no official statements from Apple. In fact, there never are. Only within a week of the actual release of a product, if anything. But since iOS5 was just showcased at WWDC, we can assume they will want to mature their iPhone 5 OS first. And thus we can guess we'll see the next iPhone around September.

But there is no such thing as a '4S'

hayds95

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Please have a 4inch edge to edge screeeeeen!

...To me its more important than speed/camera bump.

In the words of John Lennon, don't let me down.

dude..it doesn't matter at all. and is highly unlikely. what's .5cm diagonal gonna do? i reckon edge-to-edge looks way tacky.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I'm personally looking forward to a price drop with the iPhone 4 when the new one comes out. I don't make the big bucks, but a 99€ iPhone 4 would be perfect for my needs for the next couple years.

My nokia 1600 gets quite the laughs from people.

alistairroe

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
For ******'s sake, it will not be an iPhone 4S. It will be an iPhone 5 (as in, the 5th generation iPhone), or just an iPhone. iOS5 ≠ iPhone 4S. Hell no.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Please have a 4inch edge to edge screeeeeen!

...To me its more important than speed/camera bump.

In the words of John Lennon, don't let me down.

Imagine ..............

64GB /128 GB

8mp camera

ios 5

all the people

.....buying them in peace ooooooohhhoooo

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

A5 chip + iPhone 5 = WIN.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I still have my fingers crossed for a 4.5 inch screen.

Then call it iPhone 4.5

ultra-thin-next-gen-iphone-concept.jpg

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Apple have Jonathan Ive behind them. "Other" devices have some corporate "focus group" or an asian guy @ HTC dreaming up new ideas for the curves...

I know who gets my vote! :D

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
WHy on earth would they want to do this? Do they really think people would drop thousands on all these devices at the same time? Spreading them out over the year was a much better idea as more people would buy them on release. Aside from that, the use of common parts between them makes it a terrible idea, unless they forsee a significant decrease in demand for the products or increase in supply of parts. I really see no reason to sync all of these releases, and no real need to change them except maybe to move the ipad to (shortly) before christmas.

If the iPhone and iPods get released at the same time I don't think it will cause a problem with sales, other than any potential problems due to part supply. How many people actually buy both an iPod and iPhone? I can't imagine there being too many, and I would imagine that in a few years the iPod will die because most people will use their phones for music.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I still have my fingers crossed for a 4.5 inch screen.

A friend of mine has a phone with a 4" screen and hates it. He says it's just too big for a phone and too small for a tablet.

I'm hoping the next iPhone is more reliable. My old 3G was rock-solid. But I'm on my third replacement iPhone 4. Yesterday for no apparent reason the phone lost contact with its SIM card, leaving me with an iPod Touch. The Apple Store couldn't explain it and just gave me another phone. I appreciate the great customer service, but three replacements in less than a year? :confused:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Imagine ..............

64GB /128 GB

8mp camera

ios 5

all the people

.....buying them in peace ooooooohhhoooo

i'm sure others may have mentioned it, but your post is the 1st i've laid eyes on which wonders/hopes about higher capacity. i'm with you - i thought it was nuts they didn't have a larger size for iphone4. for me, it's to sync more music. then again, maybe with the cloud, they don't feel the need to have a larger capacity flash in it?

i can't wait though... my 3gs does the trick, but I have a brother who would benefit from having it and i'll upgrade. he's not a technical guy and doesn't want to spend oodles on contracts etc...so it will a perfect fit for him.

cheers,
keebler

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
For one, I agree it will not be the iPhone 4S. Being that 5th gen iPhone it will be 5. If they released the phone this month I could accept a minor improvement over the iPhone 4. There have been some strides made by competition since then. If you look at the handsets out there since the 4 was released(although I'd never buy any of them) there are some powerful impressive phones. Apple doesn't need status quo here. They need a game changer to stay in the game imo. I love the 4 and will upgrade to the 5 no matter what because I get and upgrade every year. Still, I will be disappointed if they keep the same design.
Glass=Fail Prox Sensor=Fail. Love to see these a little more durable without losing sexiness. My phone shouldn't "shatter" if dropped.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

PlipPlop said:
It will be interesting to see how inferior the iphone 5 will be to the top Android phones when it gets released.

Oh do you mean the new HTC Supersensationalmegaincredibling', that appeals to mainly 12-18 year olds? Meanwhile we all get iOS5 the most advanced phone OS and you wait for another year before you get a broken update to Jellyicecreamyummimummy. Guess, really depends on what you consider inferior.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I think they're looking to consolidate September releases for major mobile hardware (all iPod models, iPhone, and possible iPad in the future (maybe not this year)) and keep June WWDC for all the big software changes.
I'd be a little surprised if they release the new iPod touch at the same time. I think the later release of the iPhone is gonna delay the iPod touch as well. Of course only time will tell.
It looks like they are moving iPhones to the Fall... is there any chance the next iPhone won't be on Verizon? After all... Verizon just got the iPhone in February.

I believe the Verizon CEO said the next iPhone would be compatible with Verizon.

adeloren

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
For ******'s sake, it will not be an iPhone 4S. It will be an iPhone 5 (as in, the 5th generation iPhone), or just an iPhone. iOS5 ≠ iPhone 4S. Hell no.

I agree 100%...

It isnt going to be called 4s. People should use thier common sense and realize it.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Oh do you mean the new HTC Supersensationalmegaincredibling', that appeals to mainly 12-18 year olds? Meanwhile we all get iOS5 the most advanced phone OS and you wait for another year before you get a broken update to Jellyicecreamyummimummy. Guess, really depends on what you consider inferior.
Sorry but I think the higher spec Android phones actually appeal more to young adults while I guess the iPhone appeals to anyone of any age.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm hoping whatever the next iPhone will be... that they make it for Verizon as well. It will be my first iPhone and I'm on Verizon.

It looks like they are moving iPhones to the Fall... is there any chance the next iPhone won't be on Verizon? After all... Verizon just got the iPhone in February.

I don't wanna wait any longer... but I really don't wanna buy an iPhone 4 if the next one is just around the corner.

Verizon will definitely be getting the next iPhone at the same time as everyone else. Best move Apple ever made in the fight against Android. And I'd hold tight on a new phone till at least September. Apple has to release a new phone soon, especially if they want to stay in the game against Android. They can't expect a phone that's more than a year old to keep selling like crazy forever. Eventually people want something new, and if Apple doesn't provide it, they will go elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.