Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks a lot for these suggestions. We will think over it.

BTW. The single finger swipe horizontally and vertically seems too easy to do we'd accidentally swipe it changing the audio channel or subtitle unintentionally.

Why not use 2 or even 3 finger swipe (just like how iTAP VNC) to do some of these functions..

Secondly, when changing subtitles or audio channels, I'd like to see a visual confirmation that it was indeed changed like perhaps, displaying on the screen it is now showing "Subtitle#3 Selected" or "Audio Channel #4 Selected". Its easier this way than waiting for a scene with dialogues to confirm we are on the right settings.

Lastly, a help menu, or tutorial on these swipe commands built into the app (like iTAP VNC). these may be icings on the cake, but it does add up nicely to the overall user experience.

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Setttings

I have a request/suggestion

can there be a way that i can change the left/right/stereo or even subtitle on/off on the main movie screen while it playing it stead of going way back deep in the settings to change those and come back to the movie?

a lot of karaoke videos has left/right channel that turn on/off vocals.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For left/right/stereo change, we could not find place on the screen to put it. You can only set it on Settings now. The iPhone screen is too small. We will add the .m3u playlist information to the screen now. So the screen size is a question.
If we could find more spaces in the screen, we will try to put more information on it.
For subtitle on/off, it has been already in the GoodPlayer from the first 1.0 version. Just use finger gesture up/down to control the subtitle, it will be default subtitle-->2nd subtitle ---> 3rd subtitle--->subtitle off--->1st subtitle-->2nd subtitle ---> 3rd subtitle--->subtitle off (we assume there were 3 subtitles in the example), an endless loop.

I have a request/suggestion

can there be a way that i can change the left/right/stereo or even subtitle on/off on the main movie screen while it playing it stead of going way back deep in the settings to change those and come back to the movie?

a lot of karaoke videos has left/right channel that turn on/off vocals.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
after doing a good bit of research, i purchased goodplayer earlier today (picked it over AVplayerHD) based on the feedback of others in this post, along with the encouraging signs that the developers have been very quick to add features and address any bugs along the way.

i get the impression that these guys are really serious about making this the best AV app for the ipad.

one request that i would make would be if they could add more info to their FAQ or online help to better explain what each of the options under the Settings section actually do. the two that i had questions about were the ipod plugin and the tv-out 'turn on once'.

does anyone know what setting a folder password in privatedata actually does? i was under the impression that this would enable me to restrict access to movies in the folder, but i've found that it did not.

other than that, i'm finding everything works very well in this app. the wireless http/ftp access is flawless as is playback performance.

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions and support.
Your email has been replied minutes ago.
As for the PrivateData folder password setting, it is a bug. It will be fixed in the coming 2.4 version.

after doing a good bit of research, i purchased goodplayer earlier today (picked it over AVplayerHD) based on the feedback of others in this post, along with the encouraging signs that the developers have been very quick to add features and address any bugs along the way.

i get the impression that these guys are really serious about making this the best AV app for the ipad.

one request that i would make would be if they could add more info to their FAQ or online help to better explain what each of the options under the Settings section actually do. the two that i had questions about were the ipod plugin and the tv-out 'turn on once'.

does anyone know what setting a folder password in privatedata actually does? i was under the impression that this would enable me to restrict access to movies in the folder, but i've found that it did not.

other than that, i'm finding everything works very well in this app. the wireless http/ftp access is flawless as is playback performance.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions and support.
Your email has been replied minutes ago.
As for the PrivateData folder password setting, it is a bug. It will be fixed in the coming 2.4 version.

thanks for the prompt response...emailed back with a follow-up question.

goodplayer rocks!

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Still cannot stream videos from SMB shares like a NAS

Can<t Airplay either

Big down for that, 4.3.3 is out for a while and you still can't Airplay, this is a big flaw

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Smb client is under development, after that we will try the smb streaming.

Since Airplay is only available to mp4,m4v,mov... limited file formats, so it seems not promising to us. Anyway, we are also working on it.

Since there are too many new features in the todo list , so thanks&sorry for the waiting.

Still cannot stream videos from SMB shares like a NAS

Can<t Airplay either

Big down for that, 4.3.3 is out for a while and you still can't Airplay, this is a big flaw

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer Version 2.4
1 .m3u file format supported, .m3u file needs UTF-8 encoding
2 .cue file format supported, ".cue+.ape" tested ,".cue+.flac" tested, .cue file needs UTF-8 encoding
3 multi-tasking supported (for iOS 4.0+ only)
4 New full-screen icon
5 Private folder password issue fixed
6 In file manager, list folders first, files next
7 Gesture control improved, added help showing information during gesture control
8 Some video distortion issue fixed, thanks VideoBeagle and Tai

Lodge4Rent

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
EyeTV files

Will GoodPlayer play files created by EyeTV HD? Also, I have converted a few of my DVDs to digital files using RipIt 1.5.5. Will these files play in GoodPlayer without conversion?

Thanks in advance.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The most safe way is sending some sample files and we will test it.
My email: service@hustmobile.com
You can send the files to Dropbox or other file sharing site.
Or you can give the mediainfo details of the files, we could give a roughly guess.
Besides the AVI/MKV file container information, we need more detailed media file information (such as video format/audio format/bit rate)to tell what is the issue. Please use free desktop application MediaInfo ( http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/) to get the detailed media information and send it to us.Thanks.

For the information we got now, some guess answer: DVD rips should be okay on GoodPlayer; EyeTV HD maybe have some issues on some iOS devices , we need to know the EyeTV HD file details first.

Will GoodPlayer play files created by EyeTV HD? Also, I have converted a few of my DVDs to digital files using RipIt 1.5.5. Will these files play in GoodPlayer without conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US

Thanks in advance.

Probably not. The easiest way to find out is for you to try playing them on your iPad.

finchwizard

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2005
Australia
It's not a bad player. I'm interested to see how it progresses.

I would like to see the ability to browse SMB shares like Buzzplayer does very well.

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011

Thanks in advance.

The files that you convert with Ripit will play fine with GoodPlayer..
since it convert to stand iTunes files for iPad, Ipods, Iphones.. their website say it so.

finchwizard

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2005
Australia
Another thing I thought I'd mention was how you navigate. Not sure if it's been brought up before or not.

When you have folders. Navigating folders I feel should be when clicking on the name or the row, not the blue arrow on the side.

Seems strange to me to have an entire line to access the options that are rarely used as opposed to having those where the blue arrow.

From what I've seen most programs do it that way and this was the first program I've seen that does it back the front.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Browse SMB share and copy the SMB share file to iOS feature is nearly completed in our development. Luckily it will be released soon.

It's not a bad player. I'm interested to see how it progresses.

I would like to see the ability to browse SMB shares like Buzzplayer does very well.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About folder access, there are 2 cases:
1. in the media library, just need to click the folder as normal
2. in the file manager mode, it is as you said, it is need to click the blue arrow to browse the folder. This is because we find no appropriate way to place the "set password" and "rename folder" feature besides this.
If you have better suggestion, it is welcomed and appreciated.

Another thing I thought I'd mention was how you navigate. Not sure if it's been brought up before or not.

When you have folders. Navigating folders I feel should be when clicking on the name or the row, not the blue arrow on the side.

Seems strange to me to have an entire line to access the options that are rarely used as opposed to having those where the blue arrow.

From what I've seen most programs do it that way and this was the first program I've seen that does it back the front.

finchwizard

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2005
Australia
About folder access, there are 2 cases:
1. in the media library, just need to click the folder as normal
2. in the file manager mode, it is as you said, it is need to click the blue arrow to browse the folder. This is because we find no appropriate way to place the "set password" and "rename folder" feature besides this.
If you have better suggestion, it is welcomed and appreciated.

I would of thought you would click the main folder or length of that row as entering the folder and kept the blue arrow as the "Options" button to set those other things.

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
everytime I tried to "update all" from itunes, its showing no update available (I am assuming its the latest)... but some of the features listed herein does not appear on my installation yet ...

wierd!

Maybe in the next update, there should be a way for GoodPlayer to manifest/show on demand (similar to any window apps "Help->About" to display it's version number...

What's New in GoodPlayer Version 2.4
1 .m3u file format supported, .m3u file needs UTF-8 encoding
2 .cue file format supported, ".cue+.ape" tested ,".cue+.flac" tested, .cue file needs UTF-8 encoding
3 multi-tasking supported (for iOS 4.0+ only)
4 New full-screen icon
5 Private folder password issue fixed
6 In file manager, list folders first, files next
7 Gesture control improved, added help showing information during gesture control
8 Some video distortion issue fixed, thanks VideoBeagle and Tai

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
From online help, here is how to check GoodPlayer version number.
#20 How to check the GoodPlayer version number?
GoodPlayer ---> Settings ---> Click top right corner button --->Email Feedback , the GoodPlayer version number is in the Email title

If you just "update all" when you saw this thread,maybe the update does not come to you country on App Store when I updated the post. Wait about hours or day , the App Store around the world will update to the lasted version.

And, the next 2.5 version is coming soon...:)

everytime I tried to "update all" from itunes, its showing no update available (I am assuming its the latest)... but some of the features listed herein does not appear on my installation yet ...

wierd!

Maybe in the next update, there should be a way for GoodPlayer to manifest/show on demand (similar to any window apps "Help->About" to display it's version number...

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
it would really improve the overall polish of the app if you'd add iPad sized wallpapers for the iPad version.
it looks especially 'cheap' in the Wi-Fi screen.
you know how allergic iPad 2 people can be to bright spots on the screen ;)
then again, with wireless sync coming in iOS 5, you might even remove the wifi feature alltogether.

other than that, a wonderful app, thank you.

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Expand Screen

I just got the Apple HDMI connector for the Ipad2 and was doing the Mirrioring testing. I notice that a lot of videos show on my HDTV but did not fill the whole screen, is that depend on the video not encode in 1080? Netflix does fill the whole hdtv screen but not youtube 360/720 videos and other movie files.
anyone know how I can expand it to full screen? or do I have to get videos that in 1080?

tx

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
then again, with wireless sync coming in iOS 5, you might even remove the wifi feature alltogether.

the wifi feature serves as a easy way to get files onto the ipad. technically, it is does not perform a sync, not really the same thing as wahat ios5 will deliver.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About iPad sized wallpapers, we will change it in the future.
As for wireless sync in iOS 5, it is not the same with the wifi file sharing of GoodPlayer.

it would really improve the overall polish of the app if you'd add iPad sized wallpapers for the iPad version.
it looks especially 'cheap' in the Wi-Fi screen.
you know how allergic iPad 2 people can be to bright spots on the screen ;)

other than that, a wonderful app, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.