Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Belmakor

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Any chance they are doing 3x original iPhone rez?
320x480 = original
640x960 = Retina (2x original)
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

Interesting speculation.

Although that would change the aspect ratio of the iPad and make it the same as the iPhone... from a developer's perspective that could potentially cause UI design issues for exclusively iPad apps.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

768x1024 would be nice but how small the text will go (assuming it is a 4" inch screen at least)

galgould

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Figures. I've been holding out for the next update, but I want to be locked into VZN's unlimited data plan; so looks like I'm pulling the trigger on the iP4.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Relax people!!!

New iPhone in September and Sneak preview of the iPad 3 for a March 2012 release.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I don't see how BGR could be correct. I don't see any reason for Apple to launch the iPhone 5 without iOS 5 being released at the same time. The only reason could be the MobileMe mess with the iPhone 3G. They would space out the releases to avoid a similar situation.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Relax people!!!

New iPhone in September and Sneak preview of the iPad 3 for a March 2012 release.

Apple will no longer sneak peak iOS hardware because it kills sales of what's in existing distribution channels. This is why they announced iOS 5 software a few weeks ago but not the hardware.

Not until S.J. can get on stage and comfortably say "And you can order one as of today"

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Apple will no longer sneak peak iOS hardware because it kills sales of what's in existing distribution channels. This is why they announced iOS 5 software a few weeks ago but not the hardware.

Not until S.J. can get on stage and comfortably say "And you can order one as of today"

I like being able to pre order. Pre order iPhones have generally gotten in a day before store sales.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I like being able to pre order. Pre order iPhones have generally gotten in a day before store sales.

Apple no longer has a need to do pre-orders for the iPhone or iPad. They know whatever product they announce demand will easily outweigh supply on the day it goes on sale.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
hmm.

320x480 = original
768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

It has to be double or nothing. That small increase in resolution isn't worth the visual fragmentation it causes with existing apps.

I just can't see them changing the form factor, either.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
iPhone5 yes, iPad3 no..

I can't see why Apple would update the iPad unless there's a MASSIVE fault they're trying to remove with a version redo or unless they cannot gain access to the current display panels....

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Wow! 3TB TC (50 % capacity increase), 8MP camera in iPhone, new Final Cut Pro (for amateurs), 30% increase in iPad screen (reaching the resolution of XOOM and Galaxy Tab 10.1). This year Apple is setting World on fire!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Wow! 3TB TC (50 % capacity increase), 8MP camera in iPhone, new Final Cut Pro (for amateurs), 30% increase in iPad screen (reaching the resolution of XOOM and Galaxy Tab 10.1). This year Apple is setting World on fire!

Oh, silly, it's the Xoom and Galaxy Tab that are setting the world on fire... Oh, wait...

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'll join the others in saying that a one third increase in resolution just doesn't work. It adds all sorts of complexity and it is hardly worth doing. It's double or nothing.

It could be that this resolution will be limited to still images or relatively slowly changing graphics like the page turning in iBooks or some animations in Keynote. They could do a 2x2 binning for games and movies if full resolution proved too daunting at video speeds.

Still images is really where this would shine. Text would become much sharper. All sorts of technical images (drawings, TEM/STEM images, EDS mapping) and photography would benefit from a high resolution display.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Apple no longer has a need to do pre-orders for the iPhone or iPad. They know whatever product they announce demand will easily outweigh supply on the day it goes on sale.

I agree. But I still would like to be able to pre order because in the past they have arrived a day early. I think a majority of both the iPhone 4 and 3GS pre orders arrived a day early. Even if they didn't arrive a day early and instead arrived the day they went on sale at stores, I am sure many people would like the convenience of not having to wait in line. I stood in line for the iPad 2 for a while and although I enjoy the atmosphere, if they had the option to pre order I definitely would have done that.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007

...and they haven't announced the live TV content service through iCloud yet.

Every time Apple execs are asked about re-inventing the TV the responses are "deniability", but they are also extremely well thought out responses. That tells me they are thinking about it and taking it seriously. with iCloud in place they now have a means to provide what network content over the internet, and trump the "local content provider" as a monthly service.

frankk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Retina will be sweet, but on the A5 you will loose the gaming experience that makes the iPad 2 even better. To get any benefit for Retina on iPad 3 it will be another almost year before anything is made for it. You can crank up the spec but if the software is way behind then all you get is another Android. :rolleyes:

I agree. I'm still loving the original iPad, seems snappy enough for what I use it for (not so much games). The only time i get annoyed is by the constant refreshing during tab browsing (chess board syndrome). Snappiness and speed for better browsing would tempt me to upgrade, not retina view, esp if extra graphics compromised speed.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
that's funny, after the initial hype, I don't hear about the antenna anymore. Also, sales for the ip4 seem to be pretty good.

I love my iPhone 4, but you can't act like it isn't a problem that exists that Apple is going to fix hype or no hype. I'm not in any way trying to bash Apple and you can't lie and say that the iPhone 4's antenna was not a failed design.

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPad with 2048x1536 resolution will go down as one of the best releases of technology in history. :D

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Oh enough with the conflicting rumors. BGR has said that there will be a radical case design, and Bloomberg says the opposite. I will actually be heavily disappointed if Apple takes over 1 year to make an iPhone with increased specs (which is still amazing, because internals are what matter) but i would prefer a bigger screen and a rounder back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.