Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plitteer

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
still lacking

IPAD3 will likely still not accept Flash. Apple will lag behind in sales until it settles its differences with Sun Tech and allows Flash. I will update to a competitor device with Flash if Apple doesn't bury the hatchet with Sun.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
IPAD3 will likely still not accept Flash. Apple will lag behind in sales until it settles its differences with Sun Tech and allows Flash. I will update to a competitor device with Flash if Apple doesn't bury the hatchet with Sun.

Would you like to make a cash wager on that? Flash is dying a slow death.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Really? What rumors did they call wrong vs the ones they got right? Do you have a Tally?

Edit: I should point out that I believe most of their bad reputation came from stating way back in June 2010 that Verizon would get the iPhone in 2011. Everyone called BS. Everyone was wrong. Bloomberg called it.

Note that for some reason the link here (and everywhere else on the web) is no longer to the original June 21 Bloomberg story, but now to a June 22 story. I assume there have been changes/revisions but nothing on its face to indicate that. Like I said, I don't trust Bloomberg.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Note that for some reason the link here (and everywhere else on the web) is no longer to the original June 21 Bloomberg story, but now to a June 22 story. I assume there have been changes/revisions but nothing on its face to indicate that. Like I said, I don't trust Bloomberg.

Paranoid much? :p

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
You contradict yourself in disagreeing with me.

To get a 4" screen you must increase the size of the device.

Not really. I just said an edge to edge screen would be nice. 4" or not. Most of the android 4" screens out there are barely any larger than the current iphone 4.

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011

As a developer, I hate Flash. It's an easy language (almost identical to JavaScript) but the platform itself is unnecessarily heavy. I've often debated that we need a browser that's capable of animations and such without the extra layer of Flash or Java, but even then I still prefer Java over Flash. Java mobile is much more streamlined than Flash mobile.

Also as a user, I hate Flash. It's insecure, full of bugs, and Adobe develops Flash asynchronously (i.e. they release first on Windows, then on Mac and never on Linux). Secondly, have you used Flash on a mobile device? It drinks battery juice like Gatorade.

That having been said, I understand how the "general" user would think Flash is necessary, so I can't blame you for saying so. It's not necessary anymore, especially since people are starting to code using HTML5. I, for one, welcome our new browser overlords.

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Not really. I just said an edge to edge screen would be nice. 4" or not. Most of the android 4" screens out there are barely any larger than the current iphone 4.

But they have a different aspect ratio, don't they? If not, ignore me, but I'm pretty sure that's the debate. Along with the fact that iPhone early adopters say they think the iPhone is no smaller than it should be, nor should Apple increase resolution by less than 4x due to problems in app development.

Speaking of this, I did some math yesterday on how they would design a bigger-screened iPhone that I'd like community opinion on but there doesn't seem to be a lot of active posters in the iPhone forums...is there a better time of day to post something so it gets more views/replies?

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Heh....I just responded to a craigslist ad because I am looking for an ipad2 and that's exactly what they emailed back. Right down to the "secret tip" at the end.

Actually, he's probably a troll, or worse. Here's another of his posts:

"Dude i can sell u an ipad for 250 a 2nd gen...

Dude i can sell u an ipad for 250
a 2nd gen w/facetime & smart cover all for 250 sealed brandnew never been opened@!!"

Anyone who believes that, PM me and I've got a good deal on a bridge for you. The general known scam is that when you contact these "honest purveyors" they say that the one they had has just been sold, but that they buy them all the time on a certain penny auction site for even less than that. And then, out of the kindness of their hearts, they offer to tell you a secret on how to bid so that you'll win. Except you'll lose. Big.
It's either that, or he's just plain lying.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Heh....I just responded to a craigslist ad because I am looking for an ipad2 and that's exactly what they emailed back. Right down to the "secret tip" at the end.

Yep. Those clowns are as prevalent on Craigslist as fleas on a mutt.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
In my opinion

These sounds about right, doesn't really mention time line of iPad 3 but I think it would be next year - likely with higher resolution and faster cpu.

Next iPhone will likely be better camera and same cpu as iPad 2

I think other rumors especially with different bodies and larger screens are not reliable. I personally like the size of iPhone 4 and iPad could actually be a little bigger - but that is just me.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Oops, my bad. I misread. I just wish Apple goes back to the clipping system, and stops using glue.

Developers will not care about the increased resolution, as it maintains it's 4:3 aspect ratio. iOS will take care of seamlessly scaling the application. Also, keep in mind this has already happened with the iPhone 4, and I never ran into a developer complaining about it.

Maybe that's because the retina display DOUBLED the resolution, it didn't increase it by 1/3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.