Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Upwards of 500 bucks for a device that does what?

Internet
Watch Movies
Books

All of this can be done on an iPod touch or a netbook, lower end laptop which would run around 300$.

When you come back to reality, you will realize the truth but its fine that you are living in your own fantasy world. Its when you finally snap out of it and you subject yourself to the truth that will hurt.

maybe ease of use is worth something to me (and millions of others)

i happily paid what i did and enjoy using my ipad very much.

if it doesn't suit your personal needs or budget that's fine, but to accuse those who a) like it and b) don't thinks its overpriced as fantasists is ridiculous

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I have had all the iphones and i am thirteen
You are very privileged because the demographic research shows that you are in the minority of 13-year olds.

It's not about your individual usage case. It's about the overall marketplace.

Now write a nice thank you card to Mommy and Daddy for your ongoing iPhone ownership. And since I am an Apple shareholder, please thank them for me.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Sounds like my MBA... Except I can add the following :

It's great to type stuff on.

iPad sucks as an input device on the go. iPhone + MBA = Ultimate combo.

using a laptop in the kitchen strikes me as a far more risky and less elegant solution than the ipad

so its not for writers

i do my writing on my MBP at a desk

i do my reading/watching/listening/browsing everywhere far more comfortably and enjoyably than i used to.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
using a laptop in the kitchen strikes me as a far more risky and less elegant solution than the ipad

It's actually better than the iPad. With the screen sitting upright, I don't need to look down for my recipes/browsing. The iPad sitting flat on the counter or propped up against the wall or some other object sounds far more risky to me.

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.

so its not for writers

i do my writing on my MBP at a desk

I do my writing on a MBA : On the couch, in the kitchen, on the can, on the bus, in coffee shops, at the office, in the park, etc... etc.. Far more comfortably than on an iPad.

Why even have a MBP if it's going to sit on a desk all the time ? Waste of money right there.

i do my reading/watching/listening/browsing everywhere far more comfortably and enjoyably than i used to.

So do I, the MBA is an absolute joy to carry around. And it's far more comfortable with the keyboard serving as an attached stand and the hinges to move the screen around than an iPad or my iPhone is.

vancexxx

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
iPod Touch wishlist

(Hey, Apple,) Here's what i want from the new iPod Touch in September:

- better front/rear cameras
- A5 processor
- larger display (maybe edge-to-edge)
- brushed aluminium back (just like the iPad)
- 16GB entry-level model
- 3G (i don't think that's gonna happen)

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
So in other words, Apple's naming convention for device updates doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the nature of the update.
The device number naming convention has consistently reflected differences in the CPU/SoC. Not case design or other checkbox features like GPS or camera resolution since from a software standpoint, it's the CPU/SoC that really defines the generation of the hardware. The best example of this is not within the iPhone lineup, but in comparison between the iPhone and iPod Touch lineup. Specifically, for 2nd generation devices, the iPhone 3G was only incremented to 1.2 while the 2nd Gen iPod Touch was incremented to 2.1. Both 2nd generation devices received a case redesign and both got other new auxiliary hardware features like GPS for the iPhone 3G and Bluetooth for the 2nd gen Touch, but only the iPod Touch was considered a major revision. The key difference was the SoC. The iPhone 3G used the same CPU/SoC as the original iPhone, whereas the 2nd gen iPod Touch got a die-shrink 65nm SoC that was clocked faster and this seems to be considered a major generational difference even if the CPU/GPU architecture was the same (ie. ARM11 and PowerVR MBX Lite).

If the pattern continues, and the next iPod Touch is only called 4.2, that does strongly imply that it'll be retaining the A4, although possibly with the RAM increased to 512MB. Still with the release of the Nintendo 3DS and Sony Playstation Vita, you'd think Apple would want an iPod Touch with the Apple A5.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Looks like ESPN just joined MR in June to troll.

Obviously clueless about the ipad:)

Probably doesn't even have one. (Ipad that is)

Stop straying off topic, the iPad lacks in portability and the fact that it runs a mobile operating system for a 500$ device, only fools would purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Bigger screen
Better camera
3G

That's all I can think of

BUt keep the same form factor. I'd even give up some battery life if they could pack that all into the current box.

Oh, LTE would be nice too. I'm playing with a VZ Thunderbolt on LTE and it is wicked fast...

FWIW
DLM

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Cannot think of anything more they can do to that thing ! Would be interesting to see if there's any change in form factor.

well a 100-128GB ipod touch would be an EPIC WIN... and i know people are going to say "but what about icloud?!?!" well local storage always trumps requiring more dedication to cloud storage

Last edited:

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Would you pay an extra $129 for that connectivity option (like the extra cost for 3G iPads vs wifi-only iPads)?

Yes - I would. Just for the convenience, but saving the cost and hassle of having a phone/contract.

Do 99.99999 percent of communication via text, email, FB, twitter, im, skype.

Hardly ever use a landline or mobile phone any more.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
well a 100-128GB ipod touch would be an EPIC WIN... and i know people are going to say "but what about icloud?!?!" well local storage always trumps cloud storage
Doesn't iCloud just allow you to redownload your music on to the device rather than stream it? So locally storage is critical even for iCloud.

And I'm guessing 5th gen devices will get 720p FaceTime HD to match Macs and will get 1080p video recording capability. That probably means the iPod Touch will get a 1080p fixed focus rear camera and a 720p front camera. That will mean that rear camera will finally break the 1MP barrier even if it's nothing to write home about.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
When is a chip like the A5 simply to much power for an iPod. NEVER! Ha, ha!

My iPod wish list: THINNER! Kidding, that thin is so thin already it's silly.

But seriously between my iPad and iPhone, my iPod is kind of falling off my radar. I wonder if this is a common thing happening across the Apple customer base.
Depends. Personal I think iOS is great for a music player and honestly I feel the music part of iOS is the best of all the OS out there.
iOS is great for an iPod. I would hate it for my phone OS because it sucks at information at a glance. I also like having a dedicated media player that is not my phone.
That is just me. iOS is great for an iPod and I would not want an Android power MP3 player over an iPod touch. Android for Phone hell yes. Android for something like the iPod not so much.
It's actually better than the iPad. With the screen sitting upright, I don't need to look down for my recipes/browsing. The iPad sitting flat on the counter or propped up against the wall or some other object sounds far more risky to me.

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.s.

BAN HIM YOU ARE A TROLL :D. That is Anti Apple. Apple is able looking elegant first practical is an after though.

Sorry I just had to do it.

I am like you function comes way before form in my book. Hell form is not something I ever really concern myself with. I am all about function. That might explain the mess of wires on my desk for how I more or less set things up to make it work with what I have on hand. I am not willing to spend a lot of money just so things look prettier.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The way I understand it, the post-iPod era is scheduled to end Labor Day weekend '11, and we'll be well into the post-post-iPod era by Thanksgiving, followed by an exciting new paradigm being introduced just in time for Christmas.

Steve will be making an announcement on this in the near future, probably when the iPhone 5 is announced. I can't help but wonder how much longer it will be until we are in the post cellular era and phones will be a thing of the past. And what about the post iPad era? I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but you get the idea. :D

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Not sure if they even could but I think the price point of the iPod has to drop a bit, distance itself from the iPhone. It really is a "fake" or "nerfed" iPhone. It should be priced aggressively and marketed as the worlds best entertainment device.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005

I don't care about elegance when I'm in the kitchen, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not an elegant guy. I'm a practical guy.

I do my writing on a MBA : On the couch, in the kitchen, on the can, on the bus, in coffee shops, at the office, in the park, etc... etc.. Far more comfortably than on an iPad.

Why even have a MBP if it's going to sit on a desk all the time ? Waste of money right there.

So do I, the MBA is an absolute joy to carry around. And it's far more comfortable with the keyboard serving as an attached stand and the hinges to move the screen around than an iPad or my iPhone is.

risk? what risk? its in a case that keeps it at a perfect angle. plus i don't want ingredients or liquids or wet hands or oils passing near or over a keyboard. a little smear cleans off the ipad screen where the keyboard could be either much more work or even get broken. that doesn't sound "more practical" to me.

With an mStand, a wireless keyboard and trackpad my 2007 MBP has become a desktop yes, and my next mac will be an iMac. Had the iPad existed in 2007 i may have bought an iMac then instead but it didn't. and Neither did the MBA. it was the best option for me at the time and far from being a waste of money it has put in good service and should last me at least until lion is mature and i'm ready for the iMac.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Does anyone else think that the reference is just indicating a prototype? To me it would make sense that they'd have an iPod that has the A5 chip inside of it already, as well as any other upgrades Apple is going to use to test their software before they produce millions of the device and find out that they need to rewrite parts of iOS 5 to run on it. It's possible that its marked as 4,2 for now since it's almost identical to 4,1 except for the CPU/SoC at the moment, leaving the other upgrades such as cameras for a later date.

I'm sure that as more betas come out, and we get closer to September, that references for iPod5,1 will start cropping up. It also seems that most people assume the Back To School Sale didn't come with an iPod Touch this year because Apple isn't going to upgrade it, doesn't it make sense that they're trying to increase traffic to their Mac App Store? But that's for another thread, this one is just for the iPod Touch reference.

SunsetDistrict

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
SunsetDistrict
iTouch for the under-employed

An iPhone with 2 year contract costs upwards of $2500-$3500/U.S. after taxes over 2 years. An alternative is a pay as-you-go RAZR costing $200 (2 years) + the $50 phone plus a WiFi iTouch for $200.

If you can handle carrying two devices, and limit texting to WiFi, you can save $3000 over 2 years.

As the financial reality of many of us hit home, and yet we still want the Apple experience, it's possible that the iPod touch will appeal to a tech savvy, but underemployed mass of people.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
risk? what risk? its in a case that keeps it at a perfect angle. plus i don't want ingredients or liquids or wet hands or oils passing near or over a keyboard. a little smear cleans off the ipad screen where the keyboard could be either much more work or even get broken. that doesn't sound "more practical" to me.

Hum... I don't know what kind of slob you are in the kitchen, but that's pretty far from "elegant" right there.

I've never dirtied a recipe book, I don't see how I can dirty my MBA's keyboard in the kitchen. And your case must be pretty nasty after all those spills.

iTouch for the under-employed

How does a wireless keyboard sold by Logitech help the under-employed anyhow ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.