Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
(Hey, Apple,) Here's what i want from the new iPod Touch in September:

- better front/rear cameras
- A5 processor
- larger display (maybe edge-to-edge)
- brushed aluminium back (just like the iPad)
- 16GB entry-level model
- 3G (i don't think that's gonna happen)

I'm thinking only the A5, drop the price of the 8GB to $199, and add the 16GB at $249.

Your updates are more "major"...

vancexxx

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
I'm thinking only the A5, drop the price of the 8GB to $199, and add the 16GB at $249.

Your updates are more "major"...

Yeah, i know. We'll probably get all of those in an iPod Touch 2 or 3 years from now. Bummer. But i hope it's gonna be more than the A5, it has to be. The iPhone 5 will probably have some influence upon the updates in the iPod Touch as well.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
A5 and improved cameras (maybe just improved cameras), possibly the last iPod Touch, to be phased out next year in favor of lower-end iPhones that could entice their users at a later date to "go all the way" with service activation. Why carry around two devices when Apple can take care of all of your mobile needs with just one? It's all about iPhones and iPads today. Steve also wants more teens to get iPhones from their generous parents.

On a personal note, I've loved using my 3rd gen iPod Touch 64GB for close to two years now. I didn't want to go to AT&T in 2009, but I wanted to experience all of the great new apps and games with iOS. Now, I'm planning to get a iPhone 5 (hoping for 64GB) with Verizon and possibly an iPad 3 with the larger display my eyes will appreciate. I've passed my iOS training course and I'm ready to upgrade to the real deal. It's graduation time.:D

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
One has got to wonder if they are starting to let the iPod Touch meet the iPod Classic/Nano line...as in they are out of ideas and they either kill the unit with lack of updates or kill the unit with some radical idea.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to stifle the device earlier by making the iPhone and iPad superior. (which actually they both are)

I won't be converting to the iPhone (contracts) or iPad (an overpriced gimmick device, and still ultimately a large iPhone/iPod Touch).

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Larger Form Factor

I am hoping that the touch line is expanded to a 5 or 7 inch model. The engineering requirements to keep the aspect and pixel range is easily doable.

I know SJ has said there would never be a smaller iPad but, he never said there would not be a larger touch.

Other than that, the usual incremental upgrades, GPS, and a better camera would be nice.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
We are in the post iPod era now. Soon iPods will be obsolete.

Huh? U sure? Would you take your iphone simply for jogging? Or just listening to music? You will unnecesarily waste your iphone battery while you're at it. It's not always nice to have extra complete swiss knife.

There's always market for iPods. iPad can't be iPod. Too big, for indoor purpose only. If iPod touch given 10" display, tell me what iPod wouldn't be able to do compared to iPad? (beside gps and 3g of course)

iPod and iMac should do it for me, dumb phone serve my purpose much better :p

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Huh? U sure? Would you take your iphone simply for jogging? Or just listening to music? You will unnecesarily waste your iphone battery while you're at it. It's not always nice to have extra complete swiss knife.

Why are people so worried about the damn battery all the time. Do you keep your iPhone off to preserve battery ?

The thing can last long enough that I can play 3D games, listen to music and use it as a phone, why would I carry around an extra device ?

The only reason I use an iPod (and it's a nano) is the gym, because I can't stand those arm bands.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
My guess is that the 5G iPod touch will look almost the same as the 4G model, but will be slightly thicker for two reasons:

1. Accommodate the 5 megapixel camera plus LED flash from the now-phased out iPhone 4, since rumor has it that the next iPhone will now get an 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash.

2. Accommodate up to 128 GB of flash memory (5G iPod touch models only come in 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB flash memory capacities).

Of course, the 5G iPod touch will use the A5 CPU/GPU.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I don't see why some people are talking about how it'd be good for Apple to phase out the iPod touch in favor of low-end iPhones.

Not everyone wants a smartphone. And iPad proves not everyone wants a cellular radio in everything.

I know plenty of actual adults, young and old, who have an iPod touch and a regular "dumb phone". They want the iOS device but don't want a "phone" anywhere near it. Especially considering how cheap and good prepaid services can be these days. If I didn't have an iPhone (I love my iPhone 4 but I kick myself every day for renewing my contract with AT&T a year ago to buy it), I'd have no problem carrying a regular "dumb" phone and iPod touch. Before the original iPhone I had no problem carrying an iPod mini and dumb phone. Then 80GB iPod 5.5G and dumb phone.

With iPod touch sales increasing and becoming the most popular iPod, theres no reason for them to phase it out.

All they need to do is continue to improve it. Get rid of the stainless steel back. For the love of all things good, PLEASE get rid of the stainless steel back.

Put better cameras on it. Read something some time ago about a 3.2MP camera sensor that was available that would fit in the iPod touch form factor. Use that.

Bump it up to A5 with 512MB of RAM. Thats all.

Theres always going to be a market for the iPod touch and sales prove it. You don't sell tens of millions of something if theres no market for it.

The same way theres always going to be a market for something like the iPod nano. Even though sales of it might be going down, the market for it will always be there in one way or another.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
All they need to do is continue to improve it. Get rid of the stainless steel back. For the love of all things good, PLEASE get rid of the stainless steel back.

Put better cameras on it. Read something some time ago about a 3.2MP camera sensor that was available that would fit in the iPod touch form factor. Use that.

Bump it up to A5 with 512MB of RAM. Thats all.

I agree 100%. That's why I think that 5G iPod touch will look like the 4G model, but will be slight thicker to accommodate the old iPhone 4 camera sensor plus LED flash and storage capacities up to 128 GB. And the back will be a new, scratch-proof plastic that will be grey in color.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I concur. BETTER CAMERA number one. A5 chip would also be sweet. Other than that? Its hard to think of anything. Thinner? Ha! Any thinner, and it'd cut your hand.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a better battery life. I like how thin it is but I would be willing to buy a thicker iPod Touch with a higher capacity battery.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a better battery life. I like how thin it is but I would be willing to buy a thicker iPod Touch with a higher capacity battery.
Battery life is decent on the touch,specs and camera is all the Touch needs.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
If Apple ever dropped the iPod Touch they would be fools!
I bought an iPod video and this year the latest iPod Touch. I love both of them, they do their jobs very well.

I don't do monthly contracts for phone service. I've saved plenty of money by going pre-paid and have no problem with it.

As far as the updates, the iPod Touch should be an iPhone without the phone. Not having GPS means I can't use it as a tomtom type tool. No compass, why no compass? The cameras do suck, but I bought the Zi8 and it takes stunning video. They need to step up and be compareable to what the market offers.

IIRC, iPod Touch is one of the biggest gamming platforms now too.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
i do hope apple continues the ipod line. i really cannot see why they would drop it, especially when there are a lot of us who have no interest in being fleeced by data plans, but want to listen to music, access the internet by wifi, and use skype or similar services to make phone calls. i have a dumb phone i make a calls on a few times a month, and i have absolutely no interest in a smart phone.

i prefer a smart device.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Doesn't it seem likely that the iPod will end up being a small iPad?

An iPhone is great if you use all the data you pay for, but many do not want to pay $$$$ for $20 of use to subsidize every empty soul yapping away all day.

A $15 VZ el cheap prepay makes phone calls most everywhere and you can get a Touch to augment that.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
The only reason that Apple would not let the touch line diminish in to oblivion is to introduce it as a stronger gaming device.

Since phones have largely rendered mp3 players useless, this may be the plan for the touch and I wouldn't be surprised if in september, Jobs will land some hard punches on Sony and Nintendo.

hindimjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
I registered because of this conversation. Let me tell you one thing. Short of winning the lottery I've no plans to buy or use any device that requires a contract. I admit I'm poor enough, but no one should be tied down to any contractual obligations. The only reason they exist to tie you down is because we are all let these companies get away with it. They force it upon you. You should be able to buy a model of phone and get service through any carrier with no contract. I will never own one of the verizon/at&t iphones or ipads unless someone gives me one that is not connected to contractual service. And if prepaid service providers are wiped off the map I'll go live under a rock and be happy not to give so many hours of my job's wages away for stupid toys that become outdated three times a year.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I want an iPod Touch with the same features as the iPhone, except without it being a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.