Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The definition Apple uses of GM does not necessarily mean it is the final product. For example, Apple posted a second GM build for iOS 4.2.

I don't really see the point you are trying to make. This is not an iOS release.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

It would have been cool if they had a hi def video of a lion walking toward the camera, then it freezes frame and fades into being desktop wallpaper.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

milbournosphere said:
That's because it's not a new OS. It's a glorified service pack. It requires 10.6 to install, is only available as a download on the app store, there's no option to install on a formatted disk, etc. From what I can tell, it's basically a collection of libraries that installs over Snow Leopard.

Don't get me wrong, the added features in Lion are cool, and Snow Leopard is a solid base to build from. But I would call it more of a large patch than a new OS.

It really depends on your definition I guess... Lion is making many changes, both under the hood and over it. There's even a real possibility that some apps will have compatibility problems. Sounds to me like more than just a service pack.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Will I need to acquire track pads for my iMacs to be able to use all the gestures, or will my magic mice be sufficient (even if they are a little cramped)?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

PeckhamBog said:
Will I need to acquire track pads for my iMacs to be able to use all the gestures, or will my magic mice be sufficient (even if they are a little cramped)?

Not every swipe is ergonomically sound on a mouse, so not every feature will be present, however, most of the important ones are. With that said, swiping on a trackpad is a bit easier due to the much larger surface to work with.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA

It really depends on your definition I guess... Lion is making many changes, both under the hood and over it. There's even a real possibility that some apps will have compatibility problems. Sounds to me like more than just a service pack.

Yeah, but given the push for touch interfaces and the merging of OS and iOS features, I would've expected a cleaner cut. The whole install process just seems cludgy to me; it just feels more like an add-on to SL than a clean install of Lion. At least it's only 30 bucks :)

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

The magic track pad & lion are meant for each other in every way. One should not ignore this.

I have both the mouse and pad while the mouse is good, the pad is great. It feels like it should. Nothing wrong with using the trackpad as your primary an having that mouse nearby for those creative design times.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I won't miss the video, lets just hope this GM works fine, not like iOS 4.2 GM seed which had WiFi problems which delayed the final release

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
wait...there are actual fans of that stupid video? After imaging, reinstalling and upgrading high hundreds if not thousands of user accounts/machines I can say I am happy I can get those future spare hours of my life back to me. That music sends a chill down my spine every time I hear it, and I want to punch people when they have it as their goddamn ringtone

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Unfortunately for fans of the video...
What?!?
Really, does the welcome video have lots of fans?
Like people who throw put it on and and have "welcome" parties with their like-minded friends?
As if I was chatting around the water cooler with the guys, wondering how cool the next Welcome video would be?
;)

Edit: ha, now I'm reading other posts on this thread -- seems like I wasn't the only one who thought that was a funny phrase

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Or for those of us that don't have a touch input device for their Mac yet... No tutorial.

How do you know? The summary says: "The text and image are customized depending on the input device being used, such as a Magic Mouse or built-in trackpad." I'm sure they say something if you're using a "traditional" mouse--or do you have Lion and can confirm?

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
That's because it's not a new OS. It's a glorified service pack. It requires 10.6 to install, is only available as a download on the app store, there's no option to install on a formatted disk, etc. From what I can tell, it's basically a collection of libraries that installs over Snow Leopard.

Don't get me wrong, the added features in Lion are cool, and Snow Leopard is a solid base to build from. But I would call it more of a large patch than a new OS.

That's not true. 10.7 is its own operating system - Apple is just choosing to distribute it in a way that will promote the use of the Mac App Store.

In reality, the 10.7 installer bootstraps an installer that functions just like older OSes (10.6 and prior). In fact, the 10.7 installer contains a fully bootable volume that could be burned to a DVD or USB drive and used as an installer disk, which is capable of installing Lion onto an empty drive.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008

That's a shocker of a post!
How much truth is in that? Just an overwrite of old files?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I hate that stupid video because you can't exit it early, and you can't turn the volume down until it's done playing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.