Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's All Tech posts an extensive list of changes discovered so far in the third beta version of iOS 5, which was seeded to developers just a short time ago. Among the interesting new features and tweaks are:

ios_5_beta_3_location.jpg

- Enhanced location services controls: Aside from a prominent new screen in the iOS 5 setup process outlining how location services work, the new beta also includes finer granularity of controls, allowing users to specify whether such functions as cell network searching, diagnostics, iAds, time zone setting, and traffic information may make use of the device's location information. This is of course in addition to the per-app location controls that are already available.

- Speed enhancements: User reports indicate that performance is significantly improved under the new beta, with a considerable reduction in lag.

- Voice roaming: In addition to the existing ability to turn off data roaming in order to avoid hefty data charges, the new beta adds a "voice roaming" toggle that will allow users to prevent their phone from connecting while on roaming networks not included in their carrier's service package and thus subject to extra fees.

- Prompt for moved video content: With iOS 5, Apple has rebranded the "iPod" app on the iPhone and iPad as "Music", in line with what is found on the iPod touch. The new beta now issues an initial prompt informing users that video content such as movies, TV shows, and music videos have been moved to the "Videos" app.

- Safari preferences: The ability to clear cookies and data has been restored in the new beta, and a new "Advanced" page has been added with additional tools for removing data and debugging.

- Other assorted tweaks: A new icon for the "Reminders" app that is being added in iOS 5, an iTunes Store button in the "Music" app, the Wi-Fi Sync setting renamed to "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync", and mailbox creation from within Mail.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta 3 Brings Enhanced Location Controls and Other Tweaks

leog

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Sweet, now they just need to separate gps functionality from "Airplane Mode" since GPS is passive technology.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I swear I just read in the other forum that custom SMS tones were available. Was that guy just pulling my chain or did you guys just not include it on this list?

jasonxneo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Ozone Park, New York
ios5 dude!!

Man the ios5 design looks very brilliantly done, even though it looks almost the same as the previous firmwares! Apple makes ios5 look soo good though!!! :apple: In Steve Jobs We Trust!:apple:

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I swear I just read in the other forum that custom SMS tones were available. Was that guy just pulling my chain or did you guys just not include it on this list?

They said "among the new features are" not "here are all of the new features"

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I like everything except the extra "Music" and "Video" apps. Video's were fine being a tab in iPod.

At least take away the Youtube app and add it to "video"

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I like everything except the extra "Music" and "Video" apps. Video's were fine being a tab in iPod.

agree

I've always been annoyed by the music and video apps on my iPad. I can't believe they are now going to stick me with that on my iPhone.

I guess it is a way for them to keep iOS the same between the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. I still don't like it.

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Anyone else

Receiving error 14 in iTunes when trying to restore? Going from ios5b2 to ios5b3. Thanks!

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
They said "among the new features are" not "here are all of the new features"

Yeah, I understand that, but with the number of people constantly complaining about SMS tones, I would have thought it would have made the list. Can anyone confirm custom SMS tones, by the way? I have one that I used on my Blackberry that was super subtle, but that I would respond to.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I'm getting 300% CPU usage when syncing in iTunes. Never had this issue before. Slowing my entire system to a near crawl.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Curious... is there more control for shutting off Text Message alerts all together? There are times I don't want my phone displaying messages of any kind in sleep mode or in awake mode. Curious.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
agree

I've always been annoyed by the music and video apps on my iPad. I can't believe they are now going to stick me with that on my iPhone.

I guess it is a way for them to keep iOS the same between the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. I still don't like it.

Do you really watch videos and listen to music in the same session? I always thought it was weird that they were together on the iPhone in the first place. Usually I open an app for related tasks, and I don't see those two as related. It's would be like grouping the iTunes and App Store apps.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Anyone else tried sending a text with the new beta? I just sent one and it was much quicker to send then normal.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
Much better

I am glad iPod app is different now. It didn't make any sense. iPod inside an iPhone. Many of my friends go to iTunes by mistake because they think music is there. With iTunes Store fit into the text line, but I guess it doesn't.

This really unites iPod, iPhone and iPad into one iOS, instead of them all being slightly different. Not sure why Apple didn't think of this from the beginning.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I love the new voice roaming feature. I live by the Michigan/Canada border, and if you get within a mile or so of the border, you can get hefty roaming charges from Rogers or Bell where AT&T's signal is weak.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
A "Store" button in the iPod app? Yuck. No thanks. I hope they add the option to remove it like you can remove the store links in iTunes on the desktop (even though they removed the GUI setting you can still hide them).

Can you hide/delete the Newsstand folder yet? What a waste of space. At least you can hide the default apps you never use in a folder. Can't even do that with Newsstand.

I do like the ability to create new mailboxes in the Mail app (finally). Better location controls are very nice as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.