Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we've seen a number of possible "iPhone 4S" parts based on the iPhone 4 design in recent weeks, the design of the iPhone 5 has remained unclear with little concrete evidence of the device's design having yet surfaced. The first claim of a radical redesign surfaced back in April, suggesting that the iPhone 5 would adopt a "teardrop" form factor tapering in thickness from top to bottom.

By late July, a purported design document for the iPhone 5 surfaced and began to make its way to third-party case manufacturers, who apparently placed enough faith in its accuracy to begin making cases based on the design.

designspecs.png

Based on that same design document, we commissioned a set of renderings in an attempt to get an idea of what the iPhone 5 might look like. Our designer took measurements of this imaginary device using the dock port as a standard measurement and produced the document shown above. Based on that extrapolation, the iPhone 5 design should have had dimensions of 4.33" x 2.36", suggesting a shorter but only slightly wider design. In comparison, the iPhone 4 dimensions are 4.5" x 2.31".

What we can't explain, however, is that the actual third-party cases circulating are significantly longer and wider than what the design document would have suggested.

Measurements

We ordered a pair of these third-party iPhone 5 cases, confirming they are available for public sale and subjecting them to a series of measurements.

While accurate measurements were difficult to achieve due to open ends and overhangs on the sides of the case, we estimate the size of the phone at approximately 4.7" x 2.6". Measuring the expected thickness of the device is more challenging given uncertainty about exactly how the case snaps onto it along the sides, but the device certainly appears to be below .30" at its thickest and tapering by approximately .065" from top to bottom.

The following images show an iPhone 4 inside this iPhone 5 case with substantial room on all sides, illustrating the increased size of the iPhone 5. The much thinner profile of the iPhone 5 compared to the iPhone 4 is also visible in a side shot.

Macitynet.it also provides a nice gallery of size comparisons against an iPhone 4 with a soft iPhone 5 case.

Even a second-generation iPod touch, which measures in at a thickness of .33", is significantly thicker than the iPhone 5.

Screen Size at Least 4"

The iPhone 4's 3.5" screen measures approximately 1.95" in width within a total device width of 2.31", leaving approximately 0.36" for margins/bezel.

Assuming a comparable margin on the iPhone 5, the device's display would be approximately 2.24" wide, making the display approximately 4" on the diagonal. It seems unlikely that Apple would make the margins of the iPhone 5 screen larger than on the iPhone 4, so if this does represent the final case design, the iPhone 5's screen would have to be at least 4". Of course, this contradicts a recent report from DigiTimes claiming that the iPhone 5's screen would be between 3.5"-3.7".

Conclusion

Unfortunately, we don't have any definitive answers. Depending on which evidence you believe, there are several possibilities.

If you believe these cases represent the final iPhone 5 design, then you also have to believe that the iPhone 5 will be much larger than the iPhone 4 and is certain to have at least a 4" screen. We still can't reconcile this data with the extrapolated dimensions from our designer that suggested a much smaller phone. Those dimensions match up more closely with the circulating rumors of a screen closer to 3.5"-3.7".

Apple is expected to reveal the iPhone 5 later this month for a possible October launch.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Cases Suggest a Much Larger Device with a 4" Screen

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Looks nasty, it'd be super unwieldy in a dock, with such a heavy top.

More to the point, the antenna has to be in the bottom, thanks to some odd FCC specs. I just can't see it fitting down there with the speakers, dock connector and presumably the battery.

It also raises the point. How did they get batteries made in wedge shapes?

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Maybe the dimensions of the dock port have changed as it will now be a thunderbolt dock port

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Don't care much if it's not longer, give me a bigger screen and I'll be camping in front of the store with my kids on launch day eve ! :D

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I bet...

You know what's gonna happen next don't you?

Samsung will sue Apple over it's iPhone 5 design infringing on things like the Samsung Galaxy Note.
Nice work Samsung (not), they foresaw the obvious design of the iPhone 5, got there first, then they'll call it theirs. You watch.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Very good reporting. Looks like a tear drop smaller iPad. I want one. Damn Apple has the best designers.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
This still seems (to me) to be more of a new, larger, gaming oriented iPod touch device than an iPhone. Maybe Apple is finally going to make more of a differentiation in the iPhone and iPod touch line? With the larger screen (if this is in the iPod touch family), it would possibly make more iPhone owners want to also own a touch for gaming (meaning Apple sells two devices to a customer instead of one). As it stands now, most who own an iPhone have no reason to purchase an iPod touch. And if this is in fact a larger Touch, and not an iPhone, it would make even more of a dent in the handheld gaming market. And I could see Apple doing that, with the likes of the Sony Vita to be released soon.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
This still seems (to me) to be more of a new, larger, gaming oriented iPod touch device than an iPhone. [snip].

If it was one, why make it so awkward to use in a landscape orientation? There's not a lot of games that use a portrait display.

There's not much point trusting the crap coming out of chinese factories anyway.

sku_56307_3.jpg

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
More to the point, the antenna has to be in the bottom, thanks to some odd FCC specs.

This is incorrect. Many, many smartphones (and dumbphones, for that matter) have their antennas at the top. Hell, even the iPhone 4's antenna is at the top (at least on the Verizon model; I believe the AT&T model has it wrapping around the sides too).

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
This still seems (to me) to be more of a new, larger, gaming oriented iPod touch device than an iPhone. Maybe Apple is finally going to make more of a differentiation in the iPhone and iPod touch line? With the larger screen (if this is in the iPod touch family), it would possibly make more iPhone owners want to also own a touch for gaming (meaning Apple sells two devices to a customer instead of one). As it stands now, most who own an iPhone have no reason to purchase an iPod touch. And if this is in fact a larger Touch, and not an iPhone, it would make even more of a dent in the handheld gaming market. And I could see Apple doing that, with the likes of the Sony Vita to be released soon.

I'm sorry, if Apple pulls that I'll be getting a Galaxy S 2. In other words, no, Apple won't do that. That's absolute moronic.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If it was one, why make it so awkward to use in a landscape orientation? There's not a lot of games that use a portrait display.

It could certainly still be a phone, but it just looks far too thin to be comfortable. There are already numerous complaints about the iPhone 4 being too thin for those with average to larger hands, and this would be even smaller (thinner).

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
This is incorrect. Many, many smartphones (and dumbphones, for that matter) have their antennas at the top. Hell, even the iPhone 4's antenna is at the top (at least on the Verizon model; I believe the AT&T model has it wrapping around the sides too).

Just about every cell phone in current production has the antenna located at the bottom. This insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head. Apple was not the first to locate the antenna on the bottom, and certainly won’t be the last. The problem is that humans have their hands below their ears, so the most natural position for the hand is covering the antenna. This can’t be a good design decision, can it? How can we be stuck with this conundrum? It’s the FCC’s fault.
(source)

Additionally, I work in a phone shop, and through hundreds of models we see in bits, not once have I seen one with the main antenna in the top. Even phones going back to 2007 or so still have antennas in the bottom section. The iPhone is an exception, as it's not a discrete internal section, most of it is at the as well though.

Find one that does, and I'll gladly accept defeat.

Last edited:

tradedmb

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
I'm just ready for Apple to announce it! I've been using a BB Curve for the past three years, The Verizon iphone 4 was the first iphone I could have bought and I decided to wait because I knew of the yearly june updates to the iphone lineup. Oct 7 or 14 can not get here fast enough.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

chris975d said:

It could certainly still be a phone, but it just looks far too thin to be comfortable. There are already numerous complaints about the iPhone 4 being too thin for those with average to larger hands, and this would be even smaller (thinner).

I'm not sure if it's the fact that the phone is "too thin" that makes it uncomfortable. Seems more like the fact that it's so damn small. If the S2 happens to release before the keynote debuts then Apple has already lost me (probably not the only one.) If, by the grace of El Jobso himself, happen to make this phone what we all want, then they might keep my business.

I know quite a few people that will be quite irritated if Apple made us wait this long and keep the same form factor as the iPhone 4. They didn't get to be the most valuable company in the world by making stupid moves. Logic tells us the design is going to change - but we need to wait and see our new prophet holding it in his hand.

Slutsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Isn't it a little bit strange that Apple hasn't announced any event yet? If the release really is in a month I mean? Anyway I hope there will be a world launch! :rolleyes:

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I'm not sure if it's the fact that the phone is "too thin" that makes it uncomfortable. Seems more like the fact that it's so damn small.

It's a bit of both in my opinion. Trying to grip something so thin feels awkward very very quickly.

Everyone just shoves big fat cases on the things anyway.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm not sure if it's the fact that the phone is "too thin" that makes it uncomfortable. Seems more like the fact that it's so damn small. If the S2 happens to release before the keynote debuts then Apple has already lost me (probably not the only one.) If, by the grace of El Jobso himself, happen to make this phone what we all want, then they might keep my business.

I know quite a few people that will be quite irritated if Apple made us wait this long and keep the same form factor as the iPhone 4. They didn't get to be the most valuable company in the world by making stupid moves. Logic tells us the design is going to change - but we need to wait and see our new prophet holding it in his hand.

Well, if this is the new (or a new) iPhone design, then it's almost certain that they are releasing more than one iPhone this go around. The "N94" designation just received an official FCC ID, and as far as I've seen, the N94 designation has only been seen on the leaked parts for an iPhone similar in size to the current iPhone 4.

Links to N94 parts:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1220734/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1219120/

N94 FCC ID link:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1222937/

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I hope this won't be true... I like the design, that's not the problem. But like this, it'll be like the Samsung Galaxy phones. The phones get much bigger, and then they don't fit in your pocket anymore. Yes they are thinner, but wider and larger.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Dont rly wont a thinner phone, let alone thinner than the ipod touch which is already thin enough imo. Ill be afraid to break it in my pocket, but nothing against a 4 screen, about time i say

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Maybe there will be two iPhone 5s.

iPhone 5 - pretty much the same design wise as the iPhone 4 only with A5 chip (same ram, camera etc...) maybe a plastic back, cheaper model, and for those who don't want a bigger iPhone.

iPhone 5S - The bigger iPhone with A5 chip 1gb ram, new camera, led, etc... For those who don't mind a larger form factor and wish for a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.