Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onedem

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
It's a Samsung Galaxy case -- they are trying very hard to make all their devices iDevice-accessory compatible.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Just another nonsense rumor at MR.

19 out 20 rumors here are complete nonsense.

Just like this one. There is no way in hell that it will have a 4" screen.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Don't worry, you will get a iPhone 4 for cheap or free on carriers. They have been doing this. Will it be redesigned to be a single SKU GSM/CDMA phone ? Will it be available on all carriers in the US (it already is here in Canada) ? Who knows, but there will definately be a cheap iPhone 4 available.

I'm certain of its availability, not certain if they are modifying it for all carriers. The iPhone 3GS was left to GSM-only, but it was pretty long in the tooth when the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 was released. People seem to think it will get a spec-bump too in the process (the so-called iPhone 4s).

As I said before though, if iPhone 5 looks just like an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals, then I am good. Heck, it will even mean more accessories are compatible with it out of the gate (like docks and car mounts and cases). That mythical redesign looks nice but my gut tells me its not the iPhone 5.

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Maybe there will be two iPhone 5s.

iPhone 5 - pretty much the same design wise as the iPhone 4 only with A5 chip (same ram, camera etc...) maybe a plastic back, cheaper model, and for those who don't want a bigger iPhone.

iPhone 5S - The bigger iPhone with A5 chip 1gb ram, new camera, led, etc... For those who don't mind a larger form factor and wish for a bigger screen.

:apple: I think better names would be the 4S and 5, not 5 and 5S, since you describe the 5 as very similar to the 4. And because that's how a lot of articles have been referring to them lately.

ThreeD

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
what about the resolution if the screen size will be increased. will there be more space for web pages, maps or e-mails. more line while reading books? even if it's the same resolution as before (ip4) and without a change of the API?

any ideas?

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
what about the resolution if the screen size will be increased. will there be more space for web pages, maps or e-mails. more line while reading books? even if it's the same resolution as before (ip4) and without a change of the API?

any ideas?

Screen size is an unknown...but the most Apple could increase it is IIRC 4". That way they maintain >300ppi and keep the "retina" label. I seriously, seriously doubt they're going to change the resolution again after last year, so my money is on 4" being the absolute max, but with any increase in size the quality is going to decrease.

ThreeD

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I know it is unknown, but what is the advantage of having a bigger screen if the resolution stays the same. With Android you can specify the API to have more lines visibly. What I've heard it is not the case with iOS as the API is fixed and the resolution is set as well. So what will be the advantage?

Zoomed icons and text, but not more lines? A bit too less, isn't it?

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Aren't the indications that the screen size of the iphone 5 will be increased? There is a sweet spot in size that I think a phone manufacturer does not want to exceed or the phone starts moving towards tablet territory.

An extra half inch is not going to move into tablet territory. Not even close.

The fact is that the screen WILL have to increase at some point. 3.5 is not going to cut it forever, and Apple is going to have to suck it up and just do it. Who cares if developers have to upgrade their apps graphics. It's not the end of the world.

I have had a 3G, 3GS and now a 4 and the screen size is getting pretty stale. It is limiting and I won't even think about getting the next iPhone if the screen is still 3.5. My 4 is doing me just fine.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Does a phone with a 4" screen fit into one's shirt pocket?

Even with a padded case around it?

If so, then no problem. If not, then large problem! :)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does a phone with a 4" screen fit into one's shirt pocket?

The iPhone 4 could accomodate a 4" screen with the minorest of redesigns.
If you can accept a 3/4mm side bezel then the phone wouldn't have to increase in size at all.
A bigger side bezel would necessitate a wider body but we'd only be talking a few millimeters.
How big is your shirt pocket?

ThreeD

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I know it is unknown, but what is the advantage of having a bigger screen if the resolution stays the same. With Android you can specify the API to have more lines visibly. What I've heard it is not the case with iOS as the API is fixed and the resolution is set as well. So what will be the advantage?

Zoomed icons and text, but not more lines? A bit too less, isn't it?

So no one technical trained enough to answer this?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
^^ Even without changing anything, a bigger screen can make typing and selecting links on a webpage a bit easier. And there is the obvious benefit for folks with less than perfect vision.

tgc

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2002
So no one technical trained enough to answer this?

When there are SO many android devices to choose from, consumers are holding/comparing some people will go with 'bigger is better', and others will go with 'it fits in my pocket better'.

People are different. One size doesn't fit all. Not only people with 'fatter' fingers will have that 'tad' more space for typing, text might be just that microscopingly bigger that some people will find it 'better'.

That's just the way we people are. :)

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Your line "How big is your shirt pocket?" cracked me up! :) It's a good one, both humorous and right on target.

I'm talking regular shirt pocket, not an outer jacket or garment with bigger pockets.

Thickness, I suppose could matter, but I think English, so I'll have to get out a ruler and see how wide or thick 3-4mm would be. Some of my shirt pockets are stitched pretty tightly, with not much width.

OTOH, the current thin IPT is always at risk of falling out of the pocket (just bend over slightly and there it goes). I find it needs to be in a padded SONY Clie PDA case that fills my shirt pocket and cannot fall out! :)

The iPhone 4 could accomodate a 4" screen with the minorest of redesigns.
If you can accept a 3/4mm side bezel then the phone wouldn't have to increase in size at all.
A bigger side bezel would necessitate a wider body but we'd only be talking a few millimeters.
How big is your shirt pocket?

Last edited:

Ayman250

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
USA
You know what's gonna happen next don't you?

Samsung will sue Apple over it's iPhone 5 design infringing on things like the Samsung Galaxy Note.
Nice work Samsung (not), they foresaw the obvious design of the iPhone 5, got there first, then they'll call it theirs. You watch.

Ehh Apple does that all the time. And you can't patent a screen size... And there were 4"+ screen sizes before the GS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.