Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Anything wider than the iPhone4 sucks to hold onto. Wider phones get hard to fit in pockets. Need a bigger screen than the iphone4? .... Buy an iPad.

I guess designers will have to start making larger pockets! :D

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
You know what's gonna happen next don't you?

Samsung will sue Apple over it's iPhone 5 design infringing on things like the Samsung Galaxy Note.
Nice work Samsung (not), they foresaw the obvious design of the iPhone 5, got there first, then they'll call it theirs. You watch.

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't 'getting there first' what makes something yours in intellectual property?

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
I think they're going to bring out two devices. A new iPhone 5, and a sightly redesigned iPhone 4 that combines GSM and CDMA so they save on production costs. They will stop selling the 3GS and the iPhone 4 will take its place as the "cheaper" variant.

At some point they will definitely combine CDMA and GSM versions.. this is why i think we have conflicting rumours, because there are two phones being developed.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
This still seems (to me) to be more of a new, larger, gaming oriented iPod touch device than an iPhone. Maybe Apple is finally going to make more of a differentiation in the iPhone and iPod touch line? With the larger screen (if this is in the iPod touch family), it would possibly make more iPhone owners want to also own a touch for gaming (meaning Apple sells two devices to a customer instead of one). As it stands now, most who own an iPhone have no reason to purchase an iPod touch. And if this is in fact a larger Touch, and not an iPhone, it would make even more of a dent in the handheld gaming market. And I could see Apple doing that, with the likes of the Sony Vita to be released soon.

I like gaming on my iPhone, but there is no way in hell i would ever buy both devices. And, it doesn't sound like a simple solution suggested by Apple to buy both. If you happen to do it on your own then Apple will take your money, but it is not an elegant solution.

mike1111

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Well, IF a iPhone 5 SKU is 4.7" x 2.6" and gets a bigger screen and a higher resolution (needed for anything >3.7" screen) then I'm hoping for:

4.4" screen with a 1200x800 resolution:
- 327ppi (iPhone 4: 329ppi)
- Same aspect ratio as the iPhone 4 (3:2 ar)
- Exactly 1/4 more vertical pixels for a row with 5 icons on the home screen
- Width of the screen would be 2.44" (fits inside the rumored 2.6" overall device width with the rumored "edge-to-edge screen")
- Bigger screen area compared to a 4.5" Android phone with a 16:9 ratio, but still overall a smaller device (0.2" shorter and 0.034" to 0.1" thinner) than the international 4.27" Samsung Galaxy S II (US and LTE versions are even bigger).

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
And to those thinking these cases are for a newer iPod touch rather than an iPhone 5 keep in mind theres a hole up top for the second microphone.

img_4059.jpg

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
4" iphone 5 may just get me off android. and after only 6 months on my current phone with AT&T i'm due for a subsidized upgrade.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I hope this won't be true... I like the design, that's not the problem. But like this, it'll be like the Samsung Galaxy phones. The phones get much bigger, and then they don't fit in your pocket anymore. Yes they are thinner, but wider and larger.

Totally disagree. I've had an EVO for 14 months, it has a 4.3 inch screens. I wear a variety of clothes including suit pants, khaki pants, shorts and jeans and have never had an issue with the EVO fitting in my pocket.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Retina Display?

would a 4'' screen still be considered Retina?

what would the DPI be of a 4'' screen assuming the same resolutiion?

if it's less than 300 Apple will NOT do it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Bigger screen, yes; thinner, no. But, I will be okay. For a long time, I have wanted a bigger screen. Announce the date, already!

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Anything wider than the iPhone4 sucks to hold onto. Wider phones get hard to fit in pockets. Need a bigger screen than the iphone4? .... Buy an iPad.

Have you owned a phone with a 4.3 inch screen? No, they don't suck to hold onto and yes, they fit into pockets.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Ugh. Hope these cases aren't for the iPhone 5. I don't want a huge phone that goes lopsided in landscape mode.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I hope the iPhone does get a larger screen size, at least 4". For everybody who thinks that a 4"+ phone is extremely large, it really isn't.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
THAT'S PRACTICALLY JUST A 3G CASE. Apple would not put a lot of money into the iPhone 4 just to change it again!! THE IPHONE 5 WILL BE MARGINALLY DIFFERENT TO THE IPHONE 4.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I hope the iPhone does get a larger screen size, at least 4". For everybody who thinks that a 4"+ phone is extremely large, it really isn't.

No, it's not. My Motorola Atrix is almost the exact same outer dimensions (a bit thicker) as my iPhone 4, and it (the Atrix) has a 4" screen. So it can be done and not add significantly to the height/width of the phone.

jaws1974

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
Belgium - Blaasveld
Just accept it. There won't be an Iphone5. An upgraded Iphone4s... sure.

Why?

Lots of reasons:

Is there any evidence of it's existence? No, there isn't.

Are there any parts found of the new design? No, there isn't. Only parts of the Iphone4 lookalike.

The icon on Photo stream? Could be, but not convincing enough.

The cases made by third-party case manufacturers is no evidence, pure speculation.

Look at the design of the iMac. The design is already 4 years old. The design of the Iphone4 is just over 1 year old. Apple doesn't change the design every year.

So... In a few weeks there's going to be a new version of the Iphone4. And that's it. I guess a lot folks are going to be disappointed.

Truly, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe next year??

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Just accept it. There won't be an Iphone5. An upgraded Iphone4s... sure.

Why?

Lots of reasons:

Is there any evidence of it's existence? No, there isn't.

Are there any parts found of the new design? No, there isn't. Only parts of the Iphone4 lookalike.

The icon on Photo stream? Could be, but not convincing enough.

The cases made by third-party case manufacturers is no evidence, pure speculation.

Look at the design of the iMac. The design is already 4 years old. The design of the Iphone4 is just over 1 year old. Apple doesn't change the design every year.

So... In a few weeks there's going to be a new version of the Iphone4. And that's it. I guess a lot folks are going to be disappointed.

Truly, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe next year??

While that's not totally impossible, Apple wouldn't take the extra couple of months just to release the same design with different internals. Regardless of what Steve Jobs said about "resting on our laurels" the 3G was done simply because they had no competition, and they could easily get away with releasing the same form factor with new internals. Now that the competition is stiff they cannot. There will be a newly revised iPhone this year, and you can count on that!

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Although, I've been trying to add four-way auto-rotational support when I can, as that lets the player choose the way that they want to hold the iOS device.

I'd suggest against it, developers adding this to any application makes it almost painful to use in certain situations.

Without it active, I can lay on my side, and comfortably use an application in the landscape position. If you allow the application to turn completely upside down, relative to the device, I'm suddenly looking at an application that's 90 degrees to my view.

The rotation lock is not a solution to this, it's too cumbersome to be effective. If you don't believe me, jump in bed and give it a go.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well, IF a iPhone 5 SKU is 4.7" x 2.6" and gets a bigger screen and a higher resolution (needed for anything >3.7" screen)

Apple could stick to 960x640 for a 4" and above screen with no problem. They just lose the retina effect at 12" distance (just hold the phone at a 14" distance!). Phone manufacturers are now moving to qHD screens, which are 960x540 and putting that on 4.3" and 4.5" screens.

Apple would still be highly competitive with a 4" or bigger screen at the same resolution as the iPhone 4.

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Is this big design was intended for a iPod touch instead?

everybody talk about this big design was for a big iPhone (drooling...) but what if it's just for a touch?!:confused:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.