Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports on an interesting twist in the ever-growing patent dispute between Apple and handset manufacturers supporting Google's Android operating system. According to the report, HTC today filed a new patent lawsuit against Apple and amended an earlier complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), citing nine patents that had previously been held by Google and assigned to HTC just last week.

htc_apple_google_logos.jpg

The four patents cited in the new lawsuit were initially held by Motorola, but apparently passed to Google sometime over the past year before being transferred to HTC. Google is of course currently attempting to acquire Motorola Mobility in a bid to add a hardware component to its existing software program in the competitive smartphone market.

The other five patents added to the earlier ITC complaint originated at Palm and Openwave Systems before being obtained by Google. Google then transferred those patents to HTC last week.
The nine patents originated with Palm Inc., Motorola Inc. and Openwave Systems Inc., with Google taking ownership within the past year, according to U.S. Patent and Trademark Office records. Mountain View, California-based Google recorded transfer of the patents to HTC on Sept. 1, according to the agency's website.

HTC sued Apple today in federal court in Delaware, claiming infringement of four of those patents that originally were issued to Motorola. Taoyuan, Taiwan-based HTC also amended a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission in Washington, alleging infringement of three patents first issued to Openwave and two others originally owned by Palm.
Apple has of course filed lawsuits and ITC complaints against a number of Android handset manufacturers, many of which have retaliated with their own lawsuits. But Google has stayed out of the immediate fray, although it has noted that it will support its hardware partners in their disputes. This direct transfer of patents from Google to HTC in order to provide HTC with additional ammunition in its fight against Apple seems to be the clearest evidence yet of that effort.

Article Link: HTC Cites Patents Obtained From Google in New Lawsuit Against Apple

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
this suing thing is getting old.......lets put all of them in a pit and have them fight to the death. Ill put my money on Apple......

Last edited by a moderator:

TheClarkster

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I wonder if Apple is the type of bully to run when the kids start fighting back or if they'll just try and bully harder.

I love Apple products and everything they do, but I hate what they are doing with these patent lawsuits. Go HTC!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I wonder if Apple is the type of bully to run when the kids start fighting back or if they'll just try and bully harder.

I love Apple products and everything they do, but I hate what they are doing with these patent lawsuits. Go HTC!

by hating that they are doing do you mean protecting their intellectual properties? do you mean protecting their business and protecting the interests of their investors?

I support ANY company going after x company for patent infringement. If HTC or Google is right, then so be it. If it's Apple, so be it.

I'm just jealous I'm not a patent lawyer for any of these companies b/c they must be making a boatload of OT billable hours :)

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Compare what HTC phones looked like before the iPhone to what HTC phones look like now and tell me if they're worth cheering for.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If Apple wouldn't sue anyone over iPhone then for sure other competitors would certainly do. Actually they would do everything to wipe iPhone from the face of the earth.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I personally have an issue with any company that purchases an other simply to protect patents they didn't create. Or a company that simply buys a patent in order to protect it, or make money from lawsuits.

If the company in question is actually using the technology, it is a little better, however, I still feel it goes against the entire purpose of the Patent system. I don't care if it is Apple, Google, HTC or otherwise, the behavior just seems petty.

Less litigation, more innovation please.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Compare what HTC phones looked like before the iPhone to what HTC phones look like now and tell me if they're worth cheering for.

Yes bc having a choice is good. Just bc the iphone influenced the market doesnt mean other manufacturers should be stuck in the past with devices that look like my first nokia.

jrtc27

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18 Twitter for iPhone)

840quadra said:
I personally have an issue with any company that purchases an other simply to protect patents they didn't create. Or a company that simply buys a patent in order to protect it, or make money from lawsuits.

If the company in question is actually using the technology, it is a little better, however, I still feel it goes against the entire purpose of the Patent system. I don't care if it is Apple, Google, HTC or otherwise, the behavior just seems petty.

Less litigation, more innovation please.

If only...

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
If it gets too costly....

If I remember correctly, Apple might have enough pocket money to take over someone like RIM. I mean, they only have to take 25% + 1 share and can block every major decision - e.g. attacking :apple: Inc. The other thing I don't understand is how Apple can be one of the major consumes of Samsung products for their line and be in bitter dispute about the Galaxy tab etc. Same thing with Google Maps.

BTW: That is not far-fetched: Microsoft owns a big chunk of Apple (that is why :apple: didn't go bankrupt) and Apple and MS could fight about who stole ideas for windows from whom. But they don't. Even though they seem to be bitter contestants, they are not really. Office is available for Macs, even Windows is installable on Apple hardware. Also the patent law suits seem to be geared towards Google's Android and not Windows phones. I think that MS might even just support Apple in that whole deal because they still have a crutch against Google for not being competitive with the MSN search engine. :D

rom3oOSX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011

i agree with u. I'm an apple fan but i hope HTC wins this to shut apple's mouth down. I like apple products but I'm not blind what apple is doing its just what a coward would do. Apple should work more on improving their devices than doing this dirty war. GO HTC!!!!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Apple should take this direct to Google and be done with it. Nip it in the bud so to speak.

Will either Apple or Google have the balls to do so?

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Patent Troll?

If I'm not mistaken, a patent troll is just looking for lawsuits to file and really not defending any legitimate products. They are just using the patents they hold to hopefully make some money.

I think anyone wishing HTC or any other Android smartphone maker well in their suits against Apple is delusional.

Does anyone remember what smartphones looked like and how they worked prior to 2007?

Apple should get the credit it deserves, as Android is clearly a copy. There would be no Android without the Iphone.

And for that matter, Android would never have had any support if ATT didn't have the exclusive with the Iphone.

People purchased Android phones because they were "like" the Iphone, but were on better networks (Verizon et al).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can never have enough patent threads for all the patent experts on MR.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
If I'm not mistaken, a patent troll is just looking for lawsuits to file and really not defending any legitimate products. They are just using the patents they hold to hopefully make some money.

I think anyone wishing HTC or any other Android smartphone maker well in their suits against Apple is delusional.

Does anyone remember what smartphones looked like and how they worked prior to 2007?

Apple should get the credit it deserves, as Android is clearly a copy. There would be no Android without the Iphone.

And for that matter, Android would never have had any support if ATT didn't have the exclusive with the Iphone.

People purchased Android phones because they were "like" the Iphone, but were on better networks (Verizon et al).

So what! Does anyone here remember that all the technology stuffed into the iPhone was created by the people Apple is suing decades ago (Nokia, Motorola, et al.) All Apple did was dressed up the ugly Prom Queen. Now everyone wants to go out with her.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Isn't this collusion? An agreement made between two companies to limit open competition? Suing someone over a patent that you didn't even create and don't use sure seems like "limiting open competition".

Trudy

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2004
You don't even need to go before

HTC touch-based phones were still looking like this a year after the iPhone. They're slow copiers.

250px-HTC_Touch_Pro_front%2C_side_and_rear_views.jpg

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
So what! Does anyone here remember that all the technology stuffed into the iPhone was created by the people Apple is suing decades ago (Nokia, Motorola, et al.) All Apple did was dressed up the ugly Prom Queen. Now everyone wants to go out with her.

Wow...that was funny!

You clearly have no concept regarding software and hardware integration and execution, and how that makes for a better product.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Isn't this collusion? An agreement made between two companies to limit open competition? Suing someone over a patent that you didn't even create and don't use sure seems like "limiting open competition".

Sounds like the alliance between Apple, Microsoft, RIM when they acquired Nortel patents.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

rdowns said:
You can never have enough patent threads for all the patent experts on MR.

Why does someone have to be an expert on something to discuss a subject? I could chat all day about the Saturn V rocket but I ain't a NASA engineer.

Like I've said before, everyone I work with has an opinion on the professional footballers and managers who play/manage the teams they support yet none of them are premier league footballers/managers. It's good to talk about interesting subjects, expert or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.