Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Isn't this collusion? An agreement made between two companies to limit open competition? Suing someone over a patent that you didn't even create and don't use sure seems like "limiting open competition".

Yea, but we are not on a free market. Politics are steered by lobbyists and appoint judges that cause no harm to the politicians (or their supporting lobby) and therefore, we are all screwed. The market is limited. Bigger companies are told how they aught to compete so there is competition. Sometimes, that means you don't get any service like AT&T DSL because they are forbidden to use technology they invented with others. Therefore, the distance from a hub is only half the distance of what it could be (between house and station). Yes, they would have a "Monopoly" in some areas but I rather would pay $25 to a monopolist than having a limited volume with a cable provider or paying $50 or to a satellite service which is out as soon as clouds come by. You might not like AT&T for a lot of reasons but sometimes it's not even their fault. Ask one of their technicians and they will roll their eyes. :eek:

Last edited:

rom3oOSX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, a patent troll is just looking for lawsuits to file and really not defending any legitimate products. They are just using the patents they hold to hopefully make some money.

I think anyone wishing HTC or any other Android smartphone maker well in their suits against Apple is delusional.

Does anyone remember what smartphones looked like and how they worked prior to 2007?

Apple should get the credit it deserves, as Android is clearly a copy. There would be no Android without the Iphone.

And for that matter, Android would never have had any support if ATT didn't have the exclusive with the Iphone.

People purchased Android phones because they were "like" the Iphone, but were on better networks (Verizon et al).

So android is a copy of iPhone? what about blackberry and windows mobile? are a copy too?? all smartphones are copy from iPhone?? then i can say that mac os is a copy of windows just because windows came first? competence is not copy

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
Oh Please!

What's all this "Go HTC" crap? Seriously, some of you need a thrashing....

Apple a patent troll? You're a forum troll!

Apple needs to bring the full brunt of it's IP and patent resources against Google in a massive lawsuit. Enough of this proxy fighting through the handset makers. Time to go for the kill.

Apple has slowly been awarded many patents related to multi-touch over the past couple of years. One alone may not have been a silver bullet, but they have been bying their time. Google clearly has crossed the line by awarding HTC some of it's patents (TROLL). It's on like Donkey Kong!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, a patent troll is just looking for lawsuits to file and really not defending any legitimate products. They are just using the patents they hold to hopefully make some money.

I think anyone wishing HTC or any other Android smartphone maker well in their suits against Apple is delusional.

Does anyone remember what smartphones looked like and how they worked prior to 2007?

Apple should get the credit it deserves, as Android is clearly a copy. There would be no Android without the Iphone.

And for that matter, Android would never have had any support if ATT didn't have the exclusive with the Iphone.

People purchased Android phones because they were "like" the Iphone, but were on better networks (Verizon et al).

Apple built the iPhone on the shoulder of giants in the mobile phone industry.

The biggest game changer was not Apple iOS but the fact that multi touch capacities touch screens had become cheap, reliable and good enough to put into phones.

Apple help show how to make a touch screen OS but they already had several idea that worked. Hell look at it and you will noticed the basic interface of the phone is a lot like dumb phones at the time that were touch screen only. Grid of icon.
Apple and Android biggest advantage was not having to deal with legacy support like everyone else.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Why people repeat the same BS all over again.

Ps. People purchased Android phones in UK, Spain, etc because they were in better networks?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I wonder if Apple is the type of bully to run when the kids start fighting back or if they'll just try and bully harder.

I love Apple products and everything they do, but I hate what they are doing with these patent lawsuits. Go HTC!

Let's just say Tim dislikes Samsung, Google, HTC, and Motorola more than Steve. :apple:

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you disagree with frivolous patent litigation, you disagree with it regardless who is on the receiving end.

Apple are suing based on their own design and technology innovations, not patents they were given last week to use purely against others. HTC are acting far more troll like than Apple in this instance.

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
Too bad there is the justice department ready to block such take over any minute

If I remember correctly, Apple might have enough pocket money to take over someone like RIM. I mean, they only have to take 25% + 1 share and can block every major decision - e.g. attacking :apple: Inc. The other thing I don't understand is how Apple can be one of the major consumes of Samsung products for their line and be in bitter dispute about the Galaxy tab etc. Same thing with Google Maps.

BTW: That is not far-fetched: Microsoft owns a big chunk of Apple (that is why :apple: didn't go bankrupt) and Apple and MS could fight about who stole ideas for windows from whom. But they don't. Even though they seem to be bitter contestants, they are not really. Office is available for Macs, even Windows is installable on Apple hardware. Also the patent law suits seem to be geared towards Google's Android and not Windows phones. I think that MS might even just support Apple in that whole deal because they still have a crutch against Google for not being competitive with the MSN search engine. :D

This will not happen, even apple has all the cash to buy every single phone manufacturers on earth. US justice department will stop it.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Does it work that way? Transfer patents to an ongoing lawsuit and say "oh by the way, these things we just got? Yeah, we're suing you for them too". Where does it end?

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
So android is a copy of iPhone? what about blackberry and windows mobile? are a copy too?? all smartphones are copy from iPhone?? then i can say that mac os is a copy of windows just because windows came first? competence is not copy

Have you used a Blackberry Phone or Windows Phone? They aren't anything like the iPhone. Many of the Android phones look identical, most notably Samsung's line. That's why Android is getting blasted. They are a ridiculously easy target.

Despite the constant bickering from Android fans about how Apple patented a rectangle screen, and that there are are only many ways to make a smartphone, Windows and Blackberry are perfect examples of how you can make a smartphone that isn't a replica.

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010

Tell me you that you think that the first iPhone worked anything like blackberry and/or windows mobile OF THAT ERA...please!

Heck, Ballmer laughed at it when it came out. We all know he is a genius.

The iPhone was a game changer, pure and simple. Android is a copy. No other way to look at it.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Many of the Android phones look identical, most notably Samsung's line. That's why Android is getting blasted. They are a ridiculously easy target.

You have to inform in sites other than Apple friendly sites.

HTC phones or HTC Senese doesn't resemble nothing to iOS or iPhone

And how is Android getting blasted?

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
The patent law needs serious reform, or be abolished all together

All these patents, saving one or two, has no significant technology advances. Maybe a new product should be given a short window, say two years, protection against any copy-cat, defined by high similarity, and all the complains will go through a very speedy process.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Have you used a Blackberry Phone or Windows Phone? They aren't anything like the iPhone. Many of the Android phones look identical, most notably Samsung's line. That's why Android is getting blasted. They are a ridiculously easy target.

Despite the constant bickering from Android fans about how Apple patented a rectangle screen, and that there are are only many ways to make a smartphone, Windows and Blackberry are perfect examples of how you can make a smartphone that isn't a replica.

you never have used an Android phone have you?

I have used both iOS and the Android OS. They are very different. The pictures you have seen of Touch Wiz is with the App draw open and lets face it how many different ways can you do a icon lay out in a grid.

The OS are very different in how they run.

Post like your come from people who never have used the Android OS and just reading the crap from Apple. I have used blackberry, iOS and Android. They are all very different.

Big time when you put in the widgets on the home screens that greatly change how the phone works.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
All these patents, saving one or two, has no significant technology advances. Maybe a new product should be given a short window, say two years, protection against any copy-cat, defined by high similarity, and all the complains will go through a very speedy process.

There's no problem. Let the legal machinery do its work, and we'll find out in due course who owns what and who needs to change up their game.

This is all a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff. Let it happen. It will clarify everyone's position when the dust settles.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Foss Patents:

Google knows that HTC is under tremendous legal pressure from Apple and clearly on the losing track. HTC is the first Android device maker sued by Apple, so that dispute is at the most advanced stage, and since HTC's own patent portfolio is weak, it has so far lacked the leverage to force Apple into a cross-license agreement. The possibility of HTC being defeated must have scared Google.

https://plus.google.com/102642221637909015292/posts/BsMtd2r7W4V

rom3oOSX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011

Of coarse i had used them thats why i talk of them, i don't talk of things i don't know. and in my case i have an android and if a i like it much its cuz its different from the iPhone, because i can change any single thing on my phone and not only what apple allows, i choose android cuz of the freedom i have with it. it may look like nothing but if i wanna leave a space between to icons i can, thats my desire and i pay for my phone zoo my phone has to do what i want, if people don't like android its fine its a choise, but don't say that people choose android cuz it were like the iPhone. don't put words into android's user mouths.

Plus if ur heart is broken cuz u realized that android is by far better OS than IOS go to the doctor. I'm an apple fan, i have apple computer and i like the iPhone but this conversations are going to far and if android is a copy of IOS (i don't agree with that)well done to google cuz is a better one!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.