Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:06 PM   #76
Nostromo
macrumors 65816
 
Nostromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deep Space
And the price point will be... ?
Nostromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:13 PM   #77
Man-Droid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kei View Post
8 fixed some and introduced more like the unified window system (oh how I hate thee).
I don't have enough experience with 9 to give a full and valid opinion but I dread to think what will happen with version 10 (or X if they go with that).
Couldn't agree more about the unified window. It's great for newbies and GB users. I personally feel like it just slows everything down and is a bit ugle to look at. I've been using Logic since 4 and would love the option to go back to the old style. I haven't been too happy with 8in general. I have more problems with it than any previous version. Haven't used 9. I didn't like the upgrade cost for what I was getting. Guess I'll wait and hope Logic X isn't an absolute disaster.
Man-Droid is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:13 PM   #78
MrCrowbar
macrumors 68000
 
MrCrowbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Well, Logic currently has bugs in so many places that a complete rewrite would make a lot of sense. The features in Logic 9 are great for the price. Unfortunately, there's usually one major bug making the good features almost useless. I learned to work around these major malfunctions, always hoping the next version maybe fixes one of them. Stopped updating at one point because they never fixed it.

I think I'll give Logic X a spin, up until now it was a very capable music production tool.
__________________
Got some Bitcoins left? put them to work, daily profits. BitcoinTrader.biz promo code: https://bitcoin-trader.biz/?ref=XEAc78Xf
MrCrowbar is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 09:25 PM   #79
thestickman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Best news of all is...

I can keep using my Logic Pro 9 and never switch to anything new. I love what I have & what I can do with it. Just cuz it's new doesn't mean it's better
thestickman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 09:47 PM   #80
mrwheet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Bold words, considering the dozens of users that have posted already.

Like the other person says about his experience, I myself have been using Logic since version 5...so not sure why you would assume and judge complete strangers on the internet so hastily, only based off a series of "comments".

Really?
Yup. I've been using it since 2.x for the Atari... Actually, no... I've been using it since it was "Notator" for Atari.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/history_of...nd_logic3.html

yeah, I remember that crazy MIDI interface/dongle!

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. Logic is a powerful app, but it's also a ridiculous mind-******* of a piece of software -- a sort of bizarre hybrid of early-90s and 21st century software design. It **desperately** needs a serious re-thinking, imho. There are many things that could be way simpler, and could be expressed in a much more intuitive manner in the interface. One thing that will probably (hopefully) happen is that it will integrate directly with Final Cut Pro X, making for super easy collaboration.
And it will never happen, but I'd love them to take a shot at creating an interface that doesn't lean quite so heavily on this notion of a little hardware studio in a window. It's just so ancient, and so biased toward treating musicians/composers as technicians. Oh, and the score editor is abysmal. It was pretty great... in 1995. But it's a joke now. Yes, I'll probably continue using Sibelius when I'm writing directly to score, but I would LOVE it if Logic Pro X had a genuinely intuitive and powerful score editor. If I could work fluently either at the MIDI keyboard, OR score, in the same app, I would be in heaven.

Of course, no matter what they do, people here will bitch and moan about it being "Garageband Pro"... The thought of it makes me slightly nauseous.

Oh and by the way, integrating WaveBurner is a no-brainer and in no way makes is "obvious" that Apple is dumbing down Logic Pro (Digital Performer does it). Comments like that make no sense...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
Well, Logic currently has bugs in so many places that a complete rewrite would make a lot of sense. The features in Logic 9 are great for the price. Unfortunately, there's usually one major bug making the good features almost useless. I learned to work around these major malfunctions, always hoping the next version maybe fixes one of them. Stopped updating at one point because they never fixed it.

I think I'll give Logic X a spin, up until now it was a very capable music production tool.
Ah, yes. Good point... I don't want to sound like I'm just complaining (my previous post). Logic 9 is amazing for the price. And it can do just about anything. I just don't see any reason to think it can't be vastly improved.
__________________
Macbook Pro, Sibelius 7, Logic Pro 9, Vienna Instruments, Ivory, Kontakt, Xcode 4
mrwheet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 09:52 PM   #81
ewartjohn11
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I'm really hoping the best for you you pro audio editors! Like seriously, I think Apple just lost all credibility with their pro apps when they released FCP X (which had good intentions but failed ), but lets hope the best for you guys, and hope they fix our FCP X soon!
__________________
13" MacBook, Stock, Mid 2010
ewartjohn11 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 09:59 PM   #82
davidec
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
ahh it seems my earlier posts brought out the long term Logic users, and I'm glad that the old Atari ST/Falcon and the infamous midi dongle got a mention too. Although C-Lab created Notator - not Emagic as it was to be known.

I just don't think we need to simplify Logic. The beauty of this DAW as opposed to the other popular DAW's (which I use all of) is the deep layer of twisted 'illogical' design that remains from Emagic's design. It makes Logic the most malleable of DAW's and the best one for integration between composition and production. Logic 8 was Apple stepping in and making sense of the German UI. For that they did a great job. Personally, I just feel that it has become a little too "American Bandy". Pro Tools has that market cornered. Logic needs to continue with it's workhorse reputation for it to maintain it's success. If they simplify it, get rid of the environment and localize everything to the arrange page it will become an inferior Live, Tools, Reason or even Cubase.

Complexity in this instance makes it the DAW's above all others.

I have little reason to have faith in Apple with Logic Pro X, but I believe some crazy German leftover dewd from Emagic will have a huff and puff and get his own way.
davidec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:01 PM   #83
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewartjohn11 View Post
I'm really hoping the best for you you pro audio editors! Like seriously, I think Apple just lost all credibility with their pro apps when they released FCP X (which had good intentions but failed ), but lets hope the best for you guys, and hope they fix our FCP X soon!
Why are you talking about FCPX in the past tense? Makes no sense...it's currently shipping and will get better. Apple doesn't really need credibility with Pros. They make more money selling iPhones and frankly too many "Pros" are full of ****.
nuckinfutz is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:03 PM   #84
MattInOz
macrumors 68030
 
MattInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post

I suspect this article is correct. Soundtrack Pro is dead, core functionality will be embedded or a plugin. Main Stage will be a $50 add on and Waveburner will simply be a embedded feature rather than a separate product.
Now that FCP X is on a more modern foundation and Soundtrack was always described as a "bridge" between the two. Do you think It's going away because the two programs will talk directly to one another?

I guess also not the only one who thinks MainStage screams Touch based interface. Could it be broken up into bunch of smaller apps for either Mac or iOS?

*note: not a music pro just an interested bystander.
__________________
There is no such thing as "Collective Wisdom"
[ iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, 13" MacBookPro 2.7Ghz, 27"Al iMac i7, Black MacBook 13"]
MattInOz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:27 PM   #85
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
Now that FCP X is on a more modern foundation and Soundtrack was always described as a "bridge" between the two. Do you think It's going away because the two programs will talk directly to one another?

I guess also not the only one who thinks MainStage screams Touch based interface. Could it be broken up into bunch of smaller apps for either Mac or iOS?

*note: not a music pro just an interested bystander.
I'm really hoping the links to FCPX and Logic X are really tight. The integration with FCPX and Motion is phenomenal. If that sets the trend then I'd love to see the same sort of fluidity for Logic X.

Note that one glaring omission in FCPX is the audio handling. I think what's happening is that the studio will be able to assemble the proper solution and Logic X will be far more supportive for being the essential audio app in the videographers toolkit.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:03 PM   #86
mrwheet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidec View Post
ahh it seems my earlier posts brought out the long term Logic users, and I'm glad that the old Atari ST/Falcon and the infamous midi dongle got a mention too. Although C-Lab created Notator - not Emagic as it was to be known.

I just don't think we need to simplify Logic. The beauty of this DAW as opposed to the other popular DAW's (which I use all of) is the deep layer of twisted 'illogical' design that remains from Emagic's design. It makes Logic the most malleable of DAW's and the best one for integration between composition and production. Logic 8 was Apple stepping in and making sense of the German UI. For that they did a great job. Personally, I just feel that it has become a little too "American Bandy". Pro Tools has that market cornered. Logic needs to continue with it's workhorse reputation for it to maintain it's success. If they simplify it, get rid of the environment and localize everything to the arrange page it will become an inferior Live, Tools, Reason or even Cubase.

Complexity in this instance makes it the DAW's above all others.

I have little reason to have faith in Apple with Logic Pro X, but I believe some crazy German leftover dewd from Emagic will have a huff and puff and get his own way.
Ahhh!!! C-Lab! Holy crap, I completely forgot that was the original maker of Notator. Thanks for that, you made me remember how old I really am! ;-)

I don't think it's so much a matter of simplifying, on a deep level. Software can be incredibly deep and complex without presenting all of that complexity to the user in a complex way. Which is kind of what Logic does. But I agree that Apple did an excellent job with Logic 8, in that it brought Logic into the 21st century, without hobbling it. I also agree that we still need the Environment. It really is an important part of Logic's original design, and certainly sets it apart. But it could easily be wrapped in a UI that makes **much** more sense of what it can really do. I mean, those guys were dealing with mid-90s graphics, and they did really well. But it could be so much easier to deal with, given a bit of a rewrite.

Your point about not making it a typical DAW is totally correct, though. For me, it should be thinking through that composer/engineer relationship you mention, and integrating those two roles even more than it does. That would be sweet. It will be interesting to see what happens. I really hope it's good, and I actually think it will be. But we'll have to wait and see...
__________________
Macbook Pro, Sibelius 7, Logic Pro 9, Vienna Instruments, Ivory, Kontakt, Xcode 4
mrwheet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:17 PM   #87
Obi-Wan Kubrick
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
After Final Cut X, I think I would wait until Apple converts all of Final Cut Studio to the X version.
Obi-Wan Kubrick is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:32 PM   #88
Fast Shadow
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Here is a preview of Logic Pro X I smuggled out of Cupertino. Much like Final Cut X, Apple has greatly streamlined the product in order to appeal to a larger audience.

Fast Shadow is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:33 PM   #89
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
Well, Logic currently has bugs in so many places that a complete rewrite would make a lot of sense. The features in Logic 9 are great for the price....
I've been in the software buzz for ages. Mostly aerospace relates (radars and what not) These are some good, validated industry models of bugs. Given some input we can guesstimate how many bugs will be introduced and how long it will take to discover and correct them and how many new bugs the correction introduces. Given a large number of developers on a project the statistics "'works".

Bottom line: If the code is re-written we should expect quite a few more bugs, not less. Most will be found quickly some will hide for years.
ChrisA is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:03 AM   #90
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
I think Marshal should sue Apple for blatantly ripping off the look and feel of their Halve Stack Amps







In Fact.... I'll contact them myself
__________________
This is a RUMOR site For speculation and discussion.Not a Fan-Club. Just because we are interested in Apple rumors it doesn't mean we should be frothing at the mouth with Apple rabid comments.
Mr. Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:11 AM   #91
product26
macrumors 6502a
 
product26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Id like to see the option to completely disable all MIDI/software instruments/samples for those of us who use logic to record music written with actual instruments.
__________________
My apologies, my pet cricket has restless leg syndrome.
product26 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:21 AM   #92
NickFalk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
Well, Logic currently has bugs in so many places that a complete rewrite would make a lot of sense.
It's a fairly common misconception that a complete rewrite will have less bugs than an older program. You might rid yourself of some old bugs but are guaranteed to introduce a bunch of fresh ones in the process. It’s just the nature of the beast: Any code-project of a certain size/complexity will have bugs. Frankly the older app should have a fair chance of having fewer of them, simply because a lot of the earlier bugs will have been corrected during updates…
NickFalk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:12 AM   #93
Man-Droid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by product26 View Post
Id like to see the option to completely disable all MIDI/software instruments/samples for those of us who use logic to record music written with actual instruments.
So, are you saying my Nord synth that I use as a midi keyboard is not an actual instrument?
Man-Droid is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:46 AM   #94
Scrumper
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
A long download is still faster than going to the store and buying it, and it doesn't waste fuel.
Good grief! What kind of futuretastic internet speed do you have? My (so called) broadband currently takes over six hours per GB to download stuff so at that speed, and assuming Logic Pro X will be no more than 50GB, that's a 300 hour download...or over twelve days. Unless my nearest Apple store (let alone any other store which would stock it) was on the moon, it would clearly be significantly quicker for me (and I suspect many others) to drive, sail, fly or even (let's face it) walk to the store and purchase it. This, quite apart form the added expense I would have incurred for going majorly over my broadband cap limit. Just saying...
Scrumper is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:51 AM   #95
seisend
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Switzerland, ZG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
I think Marshal should sue Apple for blatantly ripping off the look and feel of their Halve Stack Amps



In Fact.... I'll contact them myself
If you don't get it. Almost every preamp simulator is copied by some brands in logic pro with the design.
__________________
- MP 2009, 8x 2.26 GHz, 24GB Ram, Vertex 3 120GB + 7.6TB HDD, nVidia 285 GTX, 2x 24" Screens
- MBP 15" 2011, 2.2 GHz, 8GB Ram, Vertex 3 120GB + 500GB HDD
Check out my music on www.seisendsix.com
seisend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:53 AM   #96
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Every single Apple software with version number X has been a complete rewrite/overhaul designed not as an upgrade, but as a new-platform replacement.

I'm well aware of that thanks. It doesn't change what I said in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Hilarious

60+ responses and I can tell that a majority have not a clue about where Logic has been nor where it has going.

As a few posters have already stated. The UI update for Logic happened in Version 8. There likely won't be anything new here.
I think the issue is that based on Apple's recent behaviour towards its pro users, people do not trust Apple to do the "right" thing at the moment. Not sure why you find that "hilarious", unless you work for a competitor to Apple's pro tools in which case, sure, I'd find it entertaining too in that position.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:58 AM   #97
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
Quote:
Originally Posted by seisend View Post
If you don't get it. Almost every preamp simulator is copied by some brands in logic pro with the design.
Guys....

I can't just be "Facepalming" all day ya know...

Jeez
__________________
This is a RUMOR site For speculation and discussion.Not a Fan-Club. Just because we are interested in Apple rumors it doesn't mean we should be frothing at the mouth with Apple rabid comments.
Mr. Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:27 AM   #98
mutantteenager
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Logic Pro X Design Brief

Streamline it, make it only support digital sound, not output to any analogue source, make the interface in outlandish day-glo colours, make sure it doesn't talk to industry standard equipment, make it's incompatible with the previous version, make sure anyone using it professionally has a compelling reason to move to another product....

...if it looks useful, cut it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Why are you talking about FCPX in the past tense? Makes no sense...it's currently shipping and will get better. Apple doesn't really need credibility with Pros. They make more money selling iPhones and frankly too many "Pros" are full of ****.
Apple is a consumer company today, but would be nowhere without the support and business of the Pros that are 'full of ****'. Thankfully, we always have alternatives.
mutantteenager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:32 AM   #99
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Garageband Pro eh? Im sure it will go down a storm!!! LOL!
CplBadboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 04:35 AM   #100
Ptit
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
I wonder if it'll receive the same dumbing down as FCP...
FCP x is not FCP at all, its another version of iMovie

If Logic X is also a new app taking us all back to v1 to milk every cent we have then im out of here
Ptit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mavericks GUI response:Logic pro 9 & Logic Pro X? infoseeker OS X Mavericks (10.9) 5 Apr 3, 2014 12:21 PM
When will Apple Release an all new MacBook Pro? Isa Al MacBook Pro 16 Feb 19, 2014 06:11 PM
Apple Updates Logic Pro Audio Apps Alongside Mac Pro Launch MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 20 Dec 23, 2013 08:20 PM
Apple 'Hard at Work' on Next Version of Logic Pro MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 202 Feb 27, 2013 09:30 AM
Used Logic Studio box vs Logic Pro in appstore MacFro Digital Audio 4 Feb 6, 2013 10:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC