Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SVegard

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
Have been waiting for news on this the past few months.

I have no clue about video editing. But I heard of the pros rage over FCPX like everyone else. Then I started to worry about ny old friend Logic (well..perhaps not that old. Since 7). Pretty obvious after seeing Apple focusing more and more on the consumer marked, releasing the horrible Lion and so on.

I'm just going to share some of my thoughts on it for the last months.

Many people worry that "Garageband Pro" will be the next step

But lets see it in a...new way.

Has Garageband even got a usergroup? In case. Where? None of my fellow musicians and composers uses it. Ok, one of my singers does a little. But she dont want to! She told me she wanted to get and learn a real DAW. And that GB was limiting her.

When new kids come into forums and asks for help and advice on where to start they want to know about Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic etc. Perhaps some of them have tried out GB a little, but thats about it.

Maybe i'm wrong. Perhaps there is many users out there, but I never see them. This makes me (if my theory is correct) ask what Apple need GB for.

I kind of see a little story in my head. A guy unboxes his new Mac. He looks at the apps that come with it. He soon finds out that iPhoto is neat for organizing his photos (i use it)" then he might look at iMovie and perhaps he want to learn some video editing. At this point we are taking the step past what most users need at all. GB (in this little tale) have mostly two outcomes. GB is opened and played with for ten minutes, closed, removed from the dock and left in the App folder to be ignored. Or maybe some people play around with it a little more and goes into a forum to ask about what DAW to get.

So, what would Apple gain from "dumbing down" Logic? If my statements have some root in reality, little to none.

Now, this is just my thoughts. They may to some degree be wrong, or a complete waste of my time. Give med fire and brimstone if you dissagree.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
They'd better not screw this one up or a lot of people I know including myself will be rather p*ssed off at Apple.

Al1n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Can't wait to upgrade from GarageBand.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

SVegard

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
One thing they should do in X is to make a control surface to the iPad. There are only 3.part apps out there, and everyone is terrible.

I have hardware surfaces that cost a lot of $$$. Many people dont. And Apple should give users the option of using a surface that is made BY Apple for Logic on the piece of hardware they have created instead of a useless GB version (ok, the instruments are fun to use sometime as they can do things that is only possible on a touchscreen).

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
One thing they should do in X is to make a control surface to the iPad. There are only 3.part apps out there, and everyone is terrible.

Oh, how i would love to tweak the graphical EQ on the iPad!! Or control the mixer, audio spectrometer showing,...

Indeed some good things could be done!

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Still no rumors about a refresh of the MacPro, or even the introduction of a new desktop form factor with PCIe expansion possibilities :(

That has to be what most pros are worried about, the fact that They have to wait so long for the TB-capable desktops. I hope Apple is just waiting on Intel for the workstation CPUs and maybe AMD for PCIe v3 GPUs

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
It's funny how much perspective matters:

I was fine with them crippling fcp x and I'm fine to wait 1-2 years for them to add the missing stuff back, because my dabbling in video is mostly experimental and one-man-show stuff.

However, I was/am genuinely horrified of them doing the same with logic, and that would make me cause the same kind of fit that many high-level editors had from fcp x release. :rolleyes:

Heh, similarly that's why I'm looking forward to it, I merely dabble in music production and have always found logic to be somewhat cumbersome to use hence I'm really rather excited to see apple revamp it. I fully plan to learn the new app from top to bottom.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I currently use Logic, but Apple has put so little effort in to its development, and support is awful.

I don't agree at all. Since the 9.0 release, there have been eight free updates since then with many bug fixes. Including 64 bit support, the first mac audio app to get it (and PT and DP still don't have it). Go back and look at the release notes, there are pages and pages of bug fixes listed and I'm sure more than that.

Couldn't agree more about the unified window. It's great for newbies and GB users. I personally feel like it just slows everything down and is a bit ugle to look at. I've been using Logic since 4 and would love the option to go back to the old style.

Again, I don't understand the complaint, you CAN work with multiple windows instead of the one unified one. I've been doing it since the day 9.0 was released. As well as continuing to use screensets.

It's ironic because Garageband Pro did exist - Soundtrack. And Apple killed it off.

Not really since ST contained absolutely no midi. No support for playing in anything via keyboard whatsoever. STP would let you record live instruments and drag in loops, but without midi instruments it's missing a major part of GB. I think the real question for Logic is whether the next version will also have a Logic Express or if they will just streamline the interface and drop the price.

TouchOSC. It's amazing and allows accessing most of the Logic functionality with a great interface. I'd love to see Apple create their own Logic remote for iOS, but a great option does exist already.

Ptit

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
moon
you people compare FCP X with Logic X when its not even out yet :p

just think, everything said about fcp before it was out was total BS, what you think all this hype is, marketing period,

i think LX will fail, just another v1.0 mac app, maybe will have some hoped speed bumps Logic and FCP where missing on the new machine, but i gather its all fixed to drain our wallets

An app re written means its not the same app

Jwood2313

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Really looking forward to this; Final Cut Pro X is a joy to use now, and incredible value for money, and as a Logic Express user I've got high hopes that this revamp will be excellent. Day one purchase for me.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Naysayers, please calm down:

"according to a report by Japanese blog Macotakara, Apple's Logic team is making great efforts to stress that it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface, heading off fears that Logic Pro might lose its professional edge"

Jwood2313

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Naysayers, please calm down:

"according to a report by Japanese blog Macotakara, Apple's Logic team is making great efforts to stress that it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface, heading off fears that Logic Pro might lose its professional edge"

Doesn't really prove anything - exactly what great efforts are Apple's Logic team making to stress that? Putting out a rumour to a Japanese blog site? I heard they had a media department and everything.

papoopeepoo

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Philadelphia
64-bit rewire would be nice. i'm fine with most things, being that i'm not especially stubborn when it comes to my music. I'll likely be happy as long as it's not rushed and buggy.

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
I'm sticking with Logic 8 personally (and my FCP2 while we're on a similar topic) for as long as I can. I've used Logic since 5 and have seen its vast improvements. Totally agree with an overhaul being a nice feature if well implemented, though I haven't used 9 so can't comment on that. I so hope it isn't like the utter shambles of FCPX (IMHO) which will force me to move to Adobe without a doubt, once I have to make the move. If 'Logic Pro X' is on the FCPX tip, I'll likely head elsewhere, very sadly! But we'll wait and see, and certainly until the first upgrade at least!!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Final Cut needed a refresh because it was entirely based on old Code in particular Carbon instead of Cocoa. So Apple did the right thing.

Logic is already there and nothing Final Cut X like will happen. It is based on Cocoa and 64 bit. Nothing to re-write or clean up. That was done some time ago.

If they drop Soundtrack then thats great because it is a awful program. What I would like to see is much much much better roundtripping between Logic and Final Cut and Motion.

Cheers ;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
64-bit rewire would be nice. i'm fine with most things, being that i'm not especially stubborn when it comes to my music. I'll likely be happy as long as it's not rushed and buggy.

Rewire was waiting on Propellerheads doing a 64 bit version. 64 bit Reason is supposed to ship September 30 so hopefully support for 64 bit rewire on the Logic end should be soon after that.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
So, are you saying my Nord synth that I use as a midi keyboard is not an actual instrument?

NOPE, just saying that not everybody uses logic for digital music production. (although, technically what i do does count as 'digita' since its on a computer.) I use microphones and record physical instruments like drums, guitars and vocals. It would be nice to have a screen preset to completely hide all options that are not used when RECORDING and mixing music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.