Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:48 PM   #126
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
BBC Weather, 1970's.

Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:52 PM   #127
flipperfeet
macrumors regular

no-one rides for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsasa View Post
So am I understanding right.

You can upload your own music (up to 20k songs) and google will store them, and steam them to any computer or android device, and you can redownload them to any device at any time. All of this for free? No Ads?
Ah, but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience. As you must be logged in to access your music it will undoubtedly be a factor in the rest of your google experience. Yet another way for them to gather your personal psychographic data and monetize it without your knowledge, and determine the type of search results and ad you will receive. To some folks anonymity of their web browsing and unfiltered search results is worth much more than $25 a year.
flipperfeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:53 PM   #128
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Just like iTunes it's hardly the way to listen to music. Music stores seized to exist and millions are isolated from each other with ears filled with cheap headphones. Compressed distribution and cheap devices stripped the public and now the second generation from quality reproduction. Effectively it's nothing more than noise. Sad.

I think what really killed the music as when FM stations became jukeboxes. Each station narrowed their play list so as to appeal for a very tight and well defined demographic. Station formats were designed so that they could tell the advertising buyer EXACTLY who would hear the ads. That was what was driving it, they needed a tight demographic. (Lexus does not want to buy air time to sell $50,000 cars to teenagers.)

After FM became fragmented it made it impossible for there ever to be another Elvis or Beatles. So music moves out of mainstream culture and into 100 mini-cultures.

EDIT:
Quote:
... but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience...
Good point. And so the trend that started with FM radio continues. Ads can be even more targeted
ChrisA is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:54 PM   #129
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipperfeet View Post
Ah, but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience. As you must be logged in to access your music it will undoubtedly be a factor in the rest of your google experience. Yet another way for them to gather your personal psychographic data and monetize it without your knowledge, and determine the type of search results and ad you will receive. To some folks anonymity of their web browsing and unfiltered search results is worth much more than $25 a year.
No, you don't need to be online if you use the offline mode to acces the music in an Android device
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:56 PM   #130
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voonyx View Post
There's no ads...at least not in the Android app. Whether there is on the website I don't know, as I have no need to use it.
Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

It's amazing how easily Google plays people like a fiddle.

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:56 PM   #131
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No, you don't need to be online if you use the offline mode to acces the music in an Android device
The Google Music application reads songs off of the file system just like the majority of players. I have the Music Player, Google Music, and WinAmp installed right now. I have tinkered with Double Twist a few times.

In all honesty, my desire to have my music available anywhere has grown very weak in the sphere of portable computing.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:56 PM   #132
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
If your offline how do you stream music ?

Dumb question since I don't use anything google or android.
Peace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:59 PM   #133
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
And where exactly in my post did I suggest otherwise? I said you'll have to upload the "majority" (meaning: not all) of your library with Apple and "all" (meaning: all) of your songs with Google.
I have well over 20K songs, and pretty much the only things I had to upload were my extensive Grateful Dead bootleg collection and recordings by my son's garage band.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:59 PM   #134
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

You can tell the application to stream only or download. You can even limit this to Wi-Fi only. It will download the songs you have uploaded to the file system.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:00 PM   #135
Stairway
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
....and you think that Apple doesn't?
Stairway is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:01 PM   #136
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
God/Allah/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Big Bang Theory/Xenu, a really long time ago:

Thumb resize.
yg17 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:03 PM   #137
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
You can tell the application to stream only or download. You can even limit this to Wi-Fi only. It will download the songs you have uploaded to the file system.
You can do that in offline mode ? I was thinking offline mode meant you weren't online. Meaning not connected to the Internet

Or does offline mode mean not visible to other users ?
Peace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:03 PM   #138
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this comes out of beta quick and can get introduced outside of the united states. As a music lover and droid owner in Canada it would be great to have. Especially if it means being able to get my entire music library without having to fill up my phone’s storage space.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:04 PM   #139
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
You can do that in offline mode ? I was thinking offline mode meant you weren't online. Meaning not connected to the Internet
It will playback any music on the filesystem, from Google Music or not. I have used the Google Music application without any internet connection. I just cannot get any new songs without adding them to the file system first.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:04 PM   #140
thenerdal
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh87 View Post
Hopefully this comes out of beta quick and can get introduced outside of the united states. As a music lover and droid owner in Canada it would be great to have. Especially if it means being able to get my entire music library without having to fill up my phone’s storage space.
It is out of Beta.
thenerdal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:06 PM   #141
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.
Can you explain me where ads are shown using Android?

And you call others googlebots, blinds when you only bash anything that is not Apple and even have an avatar that show how fanatic you are?

I suspect that people like you (Apple fanboys, Google fandroids, ms fans, etc) are paid by competition to make the brands you supposedly are fans look stupid
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:07 PM   #142
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Can you explain me where ads are shown using Android?

And you call others googlebots, blinds when you only bash anything that is not Apple and even have an avatar that show how fanatic you are?

I suspect that people like you (Apple fanboys, Google fandroids, ms fans, etc) are paid by competition to make the brands you supposedly are fans look stupid
It is the usual hunt from the same actors. Welcome to Page 1.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:07 PM   #143
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

I actually welcome a new mainstream music store. iTunes needs competition. It's because of the lack of competition that apple agreed to raise music prices to $1.29.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:08 PM   #144
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:

You can tell the app that some songs must be downloaded to access them while not connected to internet or while you're not on Wifi networks
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:11 PM   #145
Peace
macrumors P6

Cool. Does anybody know if you can rip a bootleg cd and upload it to your account then stream it to another device for free ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:11 PM   #146
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
God/Allah/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Big Bang Theory/Xenu, a really long time ago:

Thumb resize.
Some people look into the sky and see faces, objects and are reminded of distant memories in the clouds. Consultant looks up and all he sees is nature stealing the MobileMe logo from Apple in 2008.

Damn you nature! shakes fist at sky
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:12 PM   #147
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Cool. Does anybody know if you can rip a bootleg cd and upload it to your account then stream it to another device for free ?
Yes, you can upload what you want
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:12 PM   #148
aerok
macrumors 65816

I'll just sadly assume it'll never come to Blackberry and cry in my little corner.

And also cry because it is not available in Canada yet just like Google Voice.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:13 PM   #149
Number 41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackvillenb View Post
Well, I'd love to try this out and see how well it works. The competition and advancement the better!
Ever notice how competition always tends to favor the crap product? I'm kinda done with the whole concept of competition.
Number 41 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:13 PM   #150
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
As long as the audio format is compatible, playback is limited to a device with said Google Music application or a web browser that supports Flash. At least, the playback page freaks out when I try to block Flash and pops a dialog box up telling me I need to enable it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion