Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I actually welcome a new mainstream music store. iTunes needs competition. It's because of the lack of competition that apple agreed to raise music prices to $1.29.

I agree...though there is Amazon and most of their songs are $.99...I don't know their sales numbers, but I do know that I haven't gotten any music from iTunes in years.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

It's amazing how easily Google plays people like a fiddle.

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.

I'm not a Googlebot but I will gladly vote you down because you are... well you know. :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
As long as the audio format is compatible, playback is limited to a device with said Google Music application or a web browser that supports Flash. At least, the playback page freaks out when I try to block Flash and pops a dialog box up telling me I need to enable it.

Right on. This tells me the music industry has given up on piracy.

voiceofreason23

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Indio, CA
i have a majority of Googles Official Apps downloaded on my iphone and use most on a regular basis. I would definately use a Google Music app if available. This is so far the only "Google vs. Apple" service that I actually enjoy. :apple:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Right on. This tells me the music industry has given up on piracy.
Well this is a gray area in my opinion. Google is just storing and streaming files. They just happen to be music files...

Do not quote me on this but it would be like streaming from Amazon or Dropbox.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I agree...though there is Amazon and most of their songs are $.99...I don't know their sales numbers, but I do know that I haven't gotten any music from iTunes in years.

I would buy from Amazon, but I do like the convinences that iCloud brings.

I should not have to pay more than 99 cents for a 3minute piece of music.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
I love the attitude of some that this is the greatest technology leap ever. Google is the last of the big three (Google, Apple, Amazon) to officially launch their cloud music service, and is ten years behind Apple in selling digital music. It's too late for many to care.

Their major advantage is that it's free. But my own thought on it is that if I can save a week of uploading by having iTunes Match scan and match my hundreds of GB of songs, I'll gladly pay the $25 bucks per year -- seriously, that's seven cents a day; stop acting like it's breaking the bank.

Add to that the fact that my hundreds of old iTunes songs (the kind with DRM still attached) won't work with Google, and I'll be happy to stick with where I'm at and with what I know works.

Plus, I won't have Apple going through my music to find out what my tastes are to better sell me to targeted advertisers.

Last edited:

payneo

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon
Google is free...but your missing the point of Match

Google Music = Upload your old, crappy 96k-128k MP3 and get back the same.

iTunes Match = Match your old, crappy 96k-128k MP3s and get back DRM FREE 256k AAC, which once downloaded is YOURS TO KEEP.

Up to 25,000 songs for $25 = .01c per song for the upgrade. If you don't pay the second year then you don't get the match service again but you keep your songs. Get it???

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
As long as the audio format is compatible, playback is limited to a device with said Google Music application or a web browser that supports Flash. At least, the playback page freaks out when I try to block Flash and pops a dialog box up telling me I need to enable it.

The desktop version for the web requires flash. The iOS version doesn't when using Safari.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Google Music = Upload your old, crappy 96k-128k MP3 and get back the same.

iTunes Match = Match your old, crappy 96k-128k MP3s and get back DRM FREE 256k AAC, which once downloaded is YOURS TO KEEP.

Up to 25,000 songs for $25 = .01c per song for the upgrade. If you don't pay the second year then you don't get the match service again but you keep your songs. Get it???

Too bad iTunes match fails to match a lot of my songs, even though these songs are available in the iTunes store and tagged correctly.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Too bad iTunes match fails to match a lot of my songs, even though these songs are available in the iTunes store and tagged correctly.
Can you test a match before you pay? I keep getting an error that the store is down whenever I click on Match though.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Perhaps you should use Google search engine to look for other great things from Google. How about Android? GMail? Google Docs?

and that's where you lost credibility.

----------

And from what I see and experience, if you don't own America's Top 40 Hits, iTunes has trouble matching them and you are stuck uploading them. And if you rip your own, 100% legit CD, why exactly is iTunes Match unable to recognize 100% of these songs? I guess if Apple can't exactly match your mp3, then the record companies would never be able to accurately tell if your copy is pirated, even if it had a watermark.

I have hundreds of GB of songs; had no problem matching anything, even songs ripped from CDs.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
So I'm wondering who this is going to appeal to?

The music store just seems too little, too late. It hasn't got the selection of iTunes and Google decides to release a music store literally a DECADE after Apple unleashed its market-dominating music store.

Most people buy their music from iTunes. That's a fact. It's become the place for the common person to download music (legally). The fact that all of your purchased music, movies, and TV shows can be downloaded to any i-device and any computer at any time is gravy, and the interface can be figured out by anybody. It's built right in--there's nothing new to learn.

If you're more involved in the tech behind your music, you can buy iTunes Match for seven whole pennies per day, and it works through the same iTunes that the average consumer has been using for ten freaking years. Why would the average consumer care to move to move their library to another company and learn a new interface and a new way to redownload load songs?

Add to that the fact that browser-based music stores haven't met with much success (if you have no Internet, or it goes out, or you're traveling, you can't download new songs on your computer or Wifi-only devices), and it leaves a lot open to question.

Now think, not as a tech "insider," but as an average, Joe Six Pack, "can't name the three branches of US government" consumer (aka, the largest consumer group out there), who just wants something cool, easy to use, and familiar, why should I care about Google Music?

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So I'm wondering who this is going to appeal to?

The music store just seems too little, too late. It hasn't got the selection of iTunes and Google decides to release a music store literally a DECADE after Apple unleashed its market-dominating music store.

Literally? Mmm, 2011 - 2003 = 8

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Mmm, no

Hundreds? I expect ripped at a lot more than 256kbps or a lot of gigabytes bought in iTunes. If not, you're the one losing credibility

Mmm, yes. I love how your argument is just that. You sure put me in my place.

And yeah, most through iTunes, a good amount from CDs, and a decent amount acquired...in other ways.

Last edited:

dubprocess

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
I am really trying to figure out if there are any negatives to Google doing the cloud music thing now. FOR FREE! Who cares about the 320 mp3s...its FREE! No ads? What? and who cares if you have to upload your music, its FREE! Oh well locked into iTunes Match already..haha

Sorry Apple, Google trumped you on this.

unicorn025

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah I only have like 600 songs and it took like 3 days, so I can't even imagine how long it would take for someone who actually utilizes the 20,000 song limit. I do like the Android app, and the whole idea behind it though, and if any product can give iTunes a run for its money (for free haha) it would be Google Music, IMO.

it could of been your setting on the music manager app, I up 8,908 songs in less of a day, and it got all the album cover right and all my music is avalable to me were ever i go, now if they can do that with my movie all be happy.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It opened January 9, 2001. But thanks for playing.

http://web.archive.org/web/200101240835/http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/jan/09itunes.html

And speaking of losing credibility.

Yap, at least you can read the link you post, is embarrassing when someone owns himself in that way

Apple Introduces iTunes — World’s Best and Easiest To Use Jukebox Software

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO—January 9, 2001—Apple® today introduced iTunes, the world’s best and easiest to use “jukebox” software that lets users create and manage their own music library on their Mac®. iTunes lets Mac users import songs from their favorite CDs; compress them into the popular MP3 format and store them on their computer’s hard drive; organize their music using powerful searching, browsing and play list features; watch stunning visualizations on their computer screen; and burn their own audio CDs — all in one easy-to-use application. Exclusively for Mac users, iTunes is available as a free download from http://www.apple.com.

The iTunes STORE opened in April 2.003

And if you listen carefully, you can hear your own credibility wheezing its last breath.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why do you kids have to be so mean to each other ?

Having competing music services can only be good for the end user. It doesn't matter where you get it as long as you're happy.

Mellow out people.

note this is from a person that doesnt care for google very much.

jgrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
anti-competitive fanboys

Same here:)

Very innovative concept by Google.

Apple didn't:
Make the first mp3 player, have the first online music store, offer the first cloud service or make the first tablet PC. They have innovated other products, so why can't other companies do it without being labeled thieves of an Apple idea?!

Stop accusing every company of copying Apple whenever there is new competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.