Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Really weird to not even let you SEE the store unless you log in. Not exactly the greatest way to bring in new customers, I guess they assume that everyone already has a google account.

blorenz

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
music stores are dead, I'm surprise google went there, just goes to show they are microsofting at an ever faster rate.......streaming ala spotify is where it's at.......hopefully apple will introduce a streaming music service soon.

bl

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

It's amazing how easily Google plays people like a fiddle.

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.

There are no adverts in Android. Not a single one. Google dont actually make a penny in advertising revenue from Android. Their revenue comes from licensing GAPPS to manufacturers.

Its amazing how easily pure fanboyism plays people like a fiddle. There seems to be this consensus that if its not made by Apple, it must suck and must have been copied from Apple. It is actually possible to like two companies at the same time....shock horror.

Next time you want to slag off a company you clearly know absolute nil about, do your research first...

jonowoolley

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Credit where credit is due

I know there's probably only trolls reading this thread now but it amazes me that people don't realize how many good products Google have. I've seen various comments saying aside from [search and/or Android] Google does nothing good.

GMail
(Far and away the most popular free email service, better spam filtering than any other service I've used)

Maps
(You know, the thing that powers maps on you iDevice)

Youtube
(Most popular internet video site by far)

Chrome
([excluding IE] Most popular browser [just edging out FF now])

Apps for your domain
(Beating MS Office365 hands down)

Voice
(Free calls to USA from your GMail! Cheap elsewhere)

I'm not going to say that these are all the BEST at what they do (though some are) but you have to admit that they are good products. Here are a few more:

Reader
Blogger
Contacts sync
Calendar sync

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
music stores are dead, I'm surprise google went there, just goes to show they are microsofting at an ever faster rate.......streaming ala spotify is where it's at.......hopefully apple will introduce a streaming music service soon.

bl

Depends on the user. Personally, I will never be completely satisfied with streaming services, and would rather having a music library to some extent. I think streaming services are great discovery tools for me, but by no means a replacement for my music library.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I know there's probably only trolls reading this thread now but it amazes me that people don't realize how many good products Google have. I've seen various comments saying aside from [search and/or Android] Google does nothing good.

GMail
(Far and away the most popular free email service, better spam filtering than any other service I've used)

Maps

Youtube

Chrome

Apps for your domain

Voice

I'm not going to say that these are all the BEST at what they do (though some are) but you have to admit that they are good products. Here are a few more:

Reader
Blogger
Contacts sync
Calendar sync

Completely Agree...they dominate most online service areas, and rightly so - the services are excellent, reliable and stable.

Apple on the other hand, as much as I love them have a quite frankly crap record for online services as I mentioned in my previous post a few pages back. Their services are notoriously slow outside North America, and lets not get started on MobileMe and iDisk.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There are no adverts in Android. Not a single one. Google dont actually make a penny in advertising revenue from Android. Their revenue comes from licensing GAPPS to manufacturers.

Its amazing how easily pure fanboyism plays people like a fiddle. There seems to be this consensus that if its not made by Apple, it must suck and must have been copied from Apple. It is actually possible to like two companies at the same time....shock horror.

Next time you want to slag off a company you clearly know absolute nil about, do your research first...

Are you telling me any app or browser on a smartphone running android has no ads ?

You do know Google owns Admob don't you ?

AdMob offers advertising solutions for many mobile platforms, including Android, iOS, webOS, Flash Lite, Windows Phone 7 and all standard mobile web browsers.

Real research bro. Real research.

Last edited:

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

GMail

Which the pretty much copied Hotmail and Yahoo mail. Just offered a bigger mailbox and the stupid invitation clique beta.

Maps

I will give them credit here. Street View is nice, and Google Earth is great. But, I want to be able to pre-download or purchase a 3TB drive or a 10GB dataset to use it without an internet connection.

Youtube

They bought them out when their copy, Google Video, didn't do as good

Chrome

Another copy, and if it weren't for the memory problem in FF, I don't see why it is better since the two adblockers and video downloaders were available when I tried it last. Opera was pretty much the same.

Apps for your domain
Never heard of this

Voice

Didn't Skype do something like this?

Android is a copy of the iPhone with a few different rules.

I don't see AdWords anymore.

I don't understand the passion for Google. It seems like people who were pro-Microsoft didn't want to break down and admit that Apple was out innovating them, so they pretty much copied their way and got a following along the way.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Are you telling me any app or browser on a smartphone running android has no ads ?

You do know Google owns Admob don't you ?

AdMob offers advertising solutions for many mobile platforms, including Android, iOS, webOS, Flash Lite, Windows Phone 7 and all standard mobile web browsers.

Real research bro. Real research.

I think he refers to the operating system, Android has no ads, like iOS. Applications are the ones with ads, like iOS.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Does the google music cloud sync playlists (including smart playlists), ratings, play count/last played? Not that itunes match does consistently at this point, but hopefully it will once they work the bugs out.

Doesn't Google have a 20,000 song limit? Because I thought Apple has a 25,000 limit, and that's only for non-matched songs...?

The Match 25k limit is for non purchased songs. Matched songs and uploaded songs are included in the 25k.

https://market.android.com/music
It works fine for me without logging in.

Ah, missed the small link at music.google.com under the giant login box. Interesting that they're launching it under the android branding instead of just google music, I wonder if some iPod/iOS users will assume it's only for android or otherwise think of the "android" thing with a negative connotation.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"We see you like music from Vampire Weekend. Here, let us bombard you with ads for skinny jeans. Love, your buds at Google."

Do you understand how the rest of the world could find it amusing that an Apple fan makes fun of hipsters?

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Which the pretty much copied Hotmail and Yahoo mail. Just offered a bigger mailbox and the stupid invitation clique beta.

So your definition of a copy is anything that is the same product/service as another. Cool.

I will give them credit here. Street View is nice, and Google Earth is great. But, I want to be able to pre-download or purchase a 3TB drive or a 10GB dataset to use it without an internet connection.

I think there aren't that many who want this along with you.

True. Then again, I remember what Youtube was like pre-Google ownership. It really was inferior.

Another copy, and if it weren't for the memory problem in FF, I don't see why it is better since the two adblockers and video downloaders were available when I tried it last. Opera was pretty much the same.

Claiming it as a copy of Safari/Konqueror, I might let you slide on that one. Claiming Chrome (a Webkit browser) to be a copy of Firefox (which uses a totally different layout engine, Gecko) completely dissolves any credibility you have. And OPERA? You do know features we take for granted today like tabbed browsing were first introduced in Opera.

Never heard of this

Oh, therefore it must be irrelevant. Google Apps is extremely successful.

Yup, zero credibility.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Great stuff , once again Google has shown Apple how online services should be done. I like how they are allowing small artists to host music for a small fee. Do Apple do this?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Does the google music cloud sync playlists (including smart playlists), ratings, play count/last played? Not that itunes match does consistently at this point, but hopefully it will once they work the bugs out.

The update to the Music app is suppose sync ratings and play counts now. It has always sync'd playlists (including smart playlists) from your Google Music account.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The update to the Music app is suppose sync ratings and play counts now. It has always sync'd playlists (including smart playlists) from your Google Music account.

Thanks for the info. Can it sync those to an iTunes library (with or without a third party app)?

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

Never heard of this

Didn't Skype do something like this?

I don't understand the passion for Google. It seems like people who were pro-Microsoft didn't want to break down and admit that Apple was out innovating them, so they pretty much copied their way and got a following along the way.

Just because Gmail is an Email service doesn't mean they copied it. The interface for Gmail is completely different.

Google Maps has an offline mode as well because it downloads the map you use mainly in the background.

Youtube is owned by Google. Youtube is one of Google's services even if they just bought it. Like Apple just bought Siri and C3 Technologies.

Chrome is one of the best browsers out there. Better than Safari.

Google Voice is different than Skype.

Android is not a copy of iOS. They look differently.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
With most Telco's switching to usage based plans all over the world, yeah, it really is a great idea to have all your music in the cloud and having to stream it in order to listen.

With an average file size of 8MB over my iTunes library, a 1GB data plan is gone after listening to less than 10 CD's per month, without doing anything else with your device.

Yeah, really great idea.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
*Apple fanboy crap*Android is a copy of the iPhone with a few different rules.

Yup, zero credibility.

I was tempted to rip threw his post but you did a pretty good job.
I figure I would extend your point and go on.

Under his rules of coping OSX is a complete copy. Safari is a copy of IE.
Apple Page is a bad copy of Word.
Numbers is a bad copy of excel.

Oh and the iPhone is just a copy of a smart phone that has been around for a long time.

Really that was a pretty bad rant of his and he just dug his whole deeper.

I would like to point Gmail is not the most popular email client out there. It is number 3. Number 1 I believe is yahoo, number 2 is Hotmail/MSN and number 3 is gmail.

Gmail did change the face of email forever. When Gmail game out PAID inboxes were 10 megs. Gmail was offering 1 gig for free. Free inbox was around 2 megs. Talk about changing the face of email forever. Gmail is currently over 7 gigs.

Depends on the user. Personally, I will never be completely satisfied with streaming services, and would rather having a music library to some extent. I think streaming services are great discovery tools for me, but by no means a replacement for my music library.

That is my though. I use the streaming internet radio to find new stuff but a lot of times I just default back to my libary and having it all be able to streamed over the cloud is nice.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
So your definition of a copy is anything that is the same product/service as another. Cool.

I think there aren't that many who want this along with you.

True. Then again, I remember what Youtube was like pre-Google ownership. It really was inferior.

Claiming it as a copy of Safari/Konqueror, I might let you slide on that one. Claiming Chrome (a Webkit browser) to be a copy of Firefox (which uses a totally different layout engine, Gecko) completely dissolves any credibility you have. And OPERA? You do know features we take for granted today like tabbed browsing were first introduced in Opera.

Oh, therefore it must be irrelevant. Google Apps is extremely successful.

Yup, zero credibility.

Google Apps is garbage. Google Web Apps is decent for Web based apps using Server-side heavy lifting to reduce the latency and offload much of the processing to a million+ server farm of machines.

Google Apps compared to a Desktop Office Suite is no contest--All Web Based solutions are POS.

I've got my own domains and Mail Services on T3 lines. I don't need Web Mail based Solutions for Collaboration. I've got WebDAV set up. I've got TRAC for Project Management of Git/SVN Source Repositories.

I've got LaTeX/XeTeX for PDF Professional Publishing of Technical Publications that puts any Document Processing publishing to shame without the requirement of Desktop Publishing Tradition--When I want Quark or InDesign I can use such. I sure as hell am not using Google Docs.

I've got Group Collaboration of Technical Documents in LyX via change tracking with SVN. Soon Git will be added.

I've got Calendaring up the wazzu.

I've got WordPress and Drupal 7 with PostgreSQL 9.1.x and MySQL 5.5 services all I want and much more.

I've got 99% uptimes.

What does Google offer me?

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Google Apps is garbage. Google Web Apps is decent for Web based apps using Server-side heavy lifting to reduce the latency and offload much of the processing to a million+ server farm of machines.

Google Apps compared to a Desktop Office Suite is no contest--All Web Based solutions are POS.

I've got my own domains and Mail Services on T3 lines. I don't need Web Mail based Solutions for Collaboration. I've got WebDAV set up. I've got TRAC for Project Management of Git/SVN Source Repositories.

I've got LaTeX/XeTeX for PDF Professional Publishing of Technical Publications that puts any Document Processing publishing to shame without the requirement of Desktop Publishing Tradition--When I want Quark or InDesign I can use such. I sure as hell am not using Google Docs.

I've got Group Collaboration of Technical Documents in LyX via change tracking with SVN. Soon Git will be added.

I've got WordPress and Drupal 7 with PostgreSQL 9.1.x and MySQL 5.5 services all I want and much more.

I've got 99% uptimes.

Just because you don't like Google Apps means it's garbage...

In 2010, 25 million people switched to Google Apps: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/25-million-people-have-gone-google.html

25,000 government employees of the NOAA will migrate to Google Apps: http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/cloud-saas/230500174

I have many more sources of many more people who switched to Google Apps.

jrobbins

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Love Competition Hate the Idea of 2 music Libraries

So if I didn't have a laptop or home computer with 17000 songs in iTunes already(I know cause I just Music matched all of my computers and have access to them on any of my Devices). If all I had was an android phone or tablet and no music..... I might like to start my collection with Google. Or Amazon. Or Apple. For me and a majority of people...I don't think splitting up my music is a prospect that sounds good. Especially if you need a wifi/Data connection all of the time and how does all of that streaming of music impact your Data Plan on those O so battery efficient devices. Granted some iPhones are going through those battery issues also, albeit still with longer batter life than the best androids. Don't get me wrong, I love competition, but these are the factors that Google and Amazon have to work against. How do you answer that question? No wrong answers really, only preferences. Does Google and Amazon have assurance that the Record Companies will not look at those Digital Upload Lockers and Take you to court for stealing music. Apple does, in fact, with music match all of my music is now LEAGAL whether I bought it or not.... hmmmm

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009

I've got 99% uptimes.

Why you would bring up Quark or LaTeX in a discussion about Google Apps is completely beyond me. Basically, you're saying that Google Apps as a product is garbage, proven by the fact that you don't use it for things it was never intended to do...

And whatever your opinion is does not change the fact that it is successful.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.