Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple hosting a media preview of its massive new Grand Central Terminal store in Manhattan today, the company continues to reveal the landmark store to the public. Business Insider has posted a few photos showing that the curtains have been removed from main entrance stairway and balcony railing, giving the store its finished appearance from the concourse.

grand_central_store_revealed_1.jpg

Main entrance (Source: Business Insider)
Apple's exterior signage for the store's main entrance consists of lighted Apple logos mounted on glass panels on each of the two landings for the main stairway, with a third lighted Apple logo mounted above the top of the stairs. Interior photos show that Apple has placed its stock on the sales floor, filling the numerous wood tables with Apple hardware for customers to test out.

grand_central_store_revealed_2.jpg

Genius Bar and display tables (Source: Business Insider)
techfootnote posts a few additional photos and notes that free Wi-Fi courtesy of Apple has gone live on the concourse.

grand_central_store_revealed_3.jpg

Store employees in red shirts on sales floor (Source: NPD's Ross Rubin)
Apple's Grand Central Terminal store will open to the public at 10:00 AM on Friday.

Update: Apple has just published a press release announcing the official opening for the store, touting the "one-of-a-kind" store spanning two balconies and offering two Genius Bars. The company also promotes new 15-minute "Express Workshops" to help users on tight schedules learn new tips and tricks.
The Apple Store® Grand Central, Apple's fifth store in Manhattan, will open Friday, December 9, at 10 a.m., just in time for the holidays. This one-of-a-kind Apple retail store overlooks the historic Main Concourse from the East and North East balconies of the world-famous Grand Central Terminal, and has two Genius Bars for free tech support and advice.

Beyond the balcony overlooking the expansive Main Concourse, the Apple Store Grand Central offers rooms dedicated to some of our most popular services, including the largest area in the world dedicated to Personal Setup.
Update 2: Fortune has posted a video walkthrough of the new store.

Article Link: Wraps Come Down at Apple's Grand Central Terminal Store for Media Day [Updated: Apple Press Release]

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Beautiful setting, dull-looking store. But understandable as they can't mess (thankfully) with any of the architecture

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Why do they have red shirts? I thought red was for AppleCare and blue was for retail

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Pretty impressive. Given that Apple was not allowed to alter the extant architecture, I think they used the space well. The view from the balcony alone would be enough to get some people into the store. :D

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
I know that namecalling is forbidden here, but anyone who doesn't think that store looks amazing is an idiot.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Holy open space, Batman!

It is neat looking. Can someone please explain to me how the merchandise in the store is secured? It looks like a wide open space and easily burgled, even if those very cool stairs are the only entrance/exit.

I can't picture the restaurant that was there, either. Where was the kitchen? Is there a wall we're not seeing that leads to storage space or some other area that folks can't just go traipsing through?

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I like the architecture, but I don't think the chairs and tables mix well with it.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Please Apple

Apple how about a store in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We have some beautiful historical buildings that I am sure the city fathers of Cheyenne would sell their very souls to get you to move into. You would draw from 3 states if you did this. :D..............Please.;)

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Barely looks like they did anything except stick a few tables and computers in a very nice arrangement.

pjfanelli

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
It is neat looking. Can someone please explain to me how the merchandise in the store is secured? It looks like a wide open space and easily burgled, even if those very cool stairs are the only entrance/exit.

I can't picture the restaurant that was there, either. Where was the kitchen? Is there a wall we're not seeing that leads to storage space or some other area that folks can't just go traipsing through?

with the amount of security in and around Grand Central you would have to be an idiot to think you would get away with burgling this store.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011

it is not a store, it's a multi sensorial experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.