Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Dunno why, but it reminds me of something like a high security prison.
All things stripped away and just the cold harsh angular items left as they need to be there.

It does not actually look very modern or designer in a nice way, just harsh and unfriendly :(

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
After seeing it I dont believe for a second this store exists to sell computers, I think its just Apple showing off and trying to spend some of their 75billion dollars. Its ridiculously too big with more employees than customers and the layout makes no sense. Perhaps the main goal is to send a message to travelers that Apple has so much money that they can buy a pointless large amount of some of the most expensive real estate in america and not expect to make a profit on the location.

Wrong on all counts my friend... This store will make a boatload of money for Apple regardless of how it looks.

yoganandaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Big and Beautiful but...

I really like the new store from the video but I see a security issue. There's no walls on the front and side balconies!! Someone like organized crime could set up a heist and throw devices down to the floor where others could be ready to catch them, then stuff them in back packs of regular clothed criminal people and wall-a. I'm sure there's security cams but find the bathroom and peel of real looking people masks, change clothing and backpacks.:eek: Apple employees wouldn't know what to do. Security, too slow to run. This could be a great scene in a movie.

Another thing is with all that beautiful marble and glass the sounds just bounces around. It sounds like a "terminal" rather than a store. That will be fatiguing to employees hearing loud reverberation consistently. I think it's cold and steril but beautiful in it's own way.

I guess I'd have to experience it in person to feel the place out.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
It looks nice, but it has me wondering how bad the acoustics will be in there with a ton of people...I'm also wondering if finding what you want is going to be a nightmare or pretty straight forward. It *seems* pretty well laid out...

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I really like the new store from the video but I see a security issue. There's no walls on the front and side balconies!! Someone like organized crime could set up a heist and throw devices down to the floor where others could be ready to catch them, then stuff them in back packs of regular clothed criminal people and wall-a. I'm sure there's security cams but find the bathroom and peel of real looking people masks, change clothing and backpacks.:eek: Apple employees wouldn't know what to do. Security, too slow to run.

Couldn't that happen at any store?

yoganandaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Its just a bunch of plain looking tables with iPads and other crap on them..

Same as any other Apple store. Nothing new here.

I don't get it, what's the big deal?

Some people are just way to obsessed with Apple. :rolleyes:

Bill is that you, really? I agree, nothing new there.

----------

Couldn't that happen at any store?

Most stores don't have open balconies to massive public places like this one.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
For anyone who does not like how it looks, just remember that starting Friday you will never get to see it like this again. All you will be able to see is a sea of people.

Wow what a horrible waste of a historic building.....to put a goddamn Apple store in. I hope zoning closes them down!

Yeah, zoning will be right over to shut them down :rolleyes:

I really like the new store from the video but I see a security issue. There's no walls on the front and side balconies!! Someone like organized crime could set up a heist and throw devices down to the floor where others could be ready to catch them, then stuff them in back packs of regular clothed criminal people and wall-a. I'm sure there's security cams but find the bathroom and peel of real looking people masks, change clothing and backpacks.:eek: Apple employees wouldn't know what to do. Security, too slow to run. This could be a great scene in a movie.

My gueess is there is enough NYPD around there that those people would not get very far.

mkoval11

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Metro Washington DC Area
Absolutely beautiful. It could look like a shack in the middle of nowhere and it would still sell tens of thousands of units per month. The foot traffic is incredible, actually ridiculous. Their retail strategy is second to none. Can't wait to see it on my next trip to NYC.

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Looks like a cathedral.

Ipods and Iphones in the Nave.

Ipads in the North Transcept.

MacBooks in the South Transcept.

MacPros at the Altar.

Sales employees in Albs and genius techs in Cassocks.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I'm guessing the people who think it's too big have never been to Grand Central Station and don't understand the number of people that will be in that store once it opens.

What I was wondering about is whether there is enough access. People seemed to squeeze past the camera in some of the doorways, which is a bad sign for a space with that amount of traffic.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
looks great. I wish Steve was still around to see it. Maybe he's watching from above.

Grandpa1947

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Wow that's a lot of employees

They must be planning on lot's of customers. There's so many employees they're almost tripping over each other. Somebody better buy something.

yoganandaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
They must be planning on lot's of customers. There's so many employees they're almost tripping over each other. Somebody better buy something.

Now there's self check out so not sure what employees will do besides talk to customers.

JohnArtist

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
New York
Uh.... no.

Another thing is with all that beautiful marble and glass the sounds just bounces around. It sounds like a "terminal" rather than a store. That will be fatiguing to employees hearing loud reverberation consistently. I think it's cold and steril but beautiful in it's own way.

I guess I'd have to experience it in person to feel the place out.

First of all, the main security there are not rent-a-cops. We're talking full-scale NYPD with helmets, vests, and uzis and National Guard with the same. NYC is still on "orange alert" since 9/11/01. You obviously have never been here. All transportation terminals are like this.

The drop from the balcony is huge. And onto marble. Sorry, but I wouldn't make that leap or throw. Not unless I wanted a broken pelvis or skull. Plus, this is Grand Central Station in the City that Never Sleeps! It doesn't "close".

:)

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
is this store open 24/7? just curious how they close with it all being so open. and in the video it looked like there was another staircase, not sure where that one lead...

December 07, 2011 10:45 AM Eastern Time
Apple Store Grand Central Opens Friday, December 9

Amazing Location to Serve Customers in One of New York’s Busiest Transportation Hubs

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Apple Store® Grand Central, Apple’s fifth store in Manhattan, will open Friday, December 9, at 10 a.m., just in time for the holidays. This one-of-a-kind Apple retail store overlooks the historic Main Concourse from the East and North East balconies of the world-famous Grand Central Terminal, and has two Genius Bars for free tech support and advice.

Convenient services at the Apple Store Grand Central include Personal Pickup, a feature of the free Apple Store App which lets iPhone® users shop and buy from anywhere they are, then pick up their purchase when they reach the terminal. Customers using the Apple Store App can even scan and pay for accessories with their iPhone using the new EasyPay function. And new 15-minute Express Workshops offer tips and tricks in a streamlined format to serve customers on a tight schedule.

The store’s expert team has 315 passionate employees who deliver these and other amazing services, which have become the hallmark of Apple retail stores worldwide.

Beyond the balcony overlooking the expansive Main Concourse, the Apple Store Grand Central offers rooms dedicated to some of our most popular services, including the largest area in the world dedicated to Personal Setup. In the Personal Setup room, customers who buy an iPad®, iPhone, iPod® or Mac® can get up and running before they leave the store. There’s also a room designed especially for Personal Training, where new Mac owners learn the basics or take their skills to the next level as part of Apple’s popular $99 One to One program.

Holiday shoppers in Manhattan now have five unique Apple stores to choose from, each perfectly suited to the neighborhoods they serve: Fifth Avenue, Upper West Side, SoHo, West 14th Street and Grand Central. Around the world, nearly 300 million people have visited Apple retail stores in the past 12 months. There are 361 Apple stores in eleven countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Japan, China, Australia and Canada.

The Apple Store Grand Central is open from

Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple’s PR website (http://www.apple.com/pr), or call Apple’s Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.

© 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, Apple Store, iPhone, iPad and iPod are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Contacts

Apple
Amy Bessette, 408-862-8012
abessette@apple.com
Michaela Wilkinson, 408-862-8989
mwilkinson@apple.com

HTO

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Beautiful setting, dull-looking store. But understandable as they can't mess (thankfully) with any of the architecture

Agree, tot is was missing signature glass stairs too at first. But the staffs are wearing red instead of blue t-shirt?

nado

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
What lamps are these?

Anyone knows what lamps are used over the machines? I'm talking about the super thin strip ones.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Man some Apple stores sure are beautiful. I wish my local one were as well, instead of the generic design, but who cares about Vancouver :D

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Its just a bunch of plain looking tables with iPads and other crap on them..

Same as any other Apple store. Nothing new here.

I don't get it, what's the big deal?

Some people are just way to obsessed with Apple. :rolleyes:

If you built a 10,000 square-foot Burger King under the Louvre pyramid, yes, it might be the same old mundane flame-broiled burgers, but the scale, location, and amount of foot traffic all mean it would be something special.

To talk about the notoriety of such a Burger King doesn't make one obsessed with the fast-food chain, it just means they recognize the importance of the fact that the project was even undertaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.