Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
looks great. Walked through that hall a few times during my trips down there. Definitely think this will become an iconic store location for Apple. If they want to truly make New York the center of the Apple Store world, a new World Trade Center store would be in order and probably stunning.

GripperDon

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Well it was probably as cheap as it looks.

Please, I am sure there were some restrictions imposed by the terminal but, gheeze that is really dumb looking and not in the "Apple" Image. At least: 1. Have the chairs and stools match the table color. 2. Institute a layout of the testing tables that is creative in at least a minor way. 3. The Uniforms for the staff should have been "special for this special place"

The whole thing looks like it was arranged by some "Apprentice" Tryout group. Definately below what I would have expected. :eek:

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
guys..am I the only one who doesnt like this layout??

It feel like its an old elementary school, or library, or courthouse...
I dont like that feeling...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I agree - it's not the best store design because they didn't and couldn't design the space. They're just filling in an already classically designed space and the "flatness" is caused in part by Apple's use of birch wood tables. I think they need to create some contrast in the space - the way they have been doing with stores they create from the ground up. There is just way too much marble everywhere you look - imho.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
It is neat looking. Can someone please explain to me how the merchandise in the store is secured? It looks like a wide open space and easily burgled, even if those very cool stairs are the only entrance/exit.

I can't picture the restaurant that was there, either. Where was the kitchen? Is there a wall we're not seeing that leads to storage space or some other area that folks can't just go traipsing through?

if it's like the upper west side store then the things you see are display models only. the back of the store is like a bank vault. i was picking up a MBP last night and the door was open. the ipads and everything i the back were locked in their own cabinets. not like say best buy where a lot of the merchandise is out in the open

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I like shopping at Apple stores...

...but this seems cold and sterile. I understand that Apple couldn't change the architecture, but this doesn't look inviting to me.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
...but this seems cold and sterile. I understand that Apple couldn't change the architecture, but this doesn't look inviting to me.
I don't think "inviting" is the idea given the location. Grand Central may be a destination place for dinner, but the vast majority of people going through GC are still going to be travelers catching trains. So what's important in such a store is efficiency. That means making sure a time-strapped traveler can easily see, find, buy and set-up what they need before they have to leave the terminal.

This as compared to leisurely window-shopping through a mall where a store needs to be inviting to lure people in. I think, especially given the restrictions of what could and could not be changed to the place--that Apple has provided the right sort of store for the most typical customers it will get there.

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

There's such grandeur and such a sense of motion and drama to being in Grand Central itself, though. YouTube doesn't do it justice. Also the light pours in during the day, so the place won't always seem as dim as it does here.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Seriously its just some tables in grand central station, what is the big deal? The tables dont even match the station, its their standard Ikea style table. The only thing "beautiful" is the station itself, the store is a mismatch.

After seeing it I dont believe for a second this store exists to sell computers, I think its just Apple showing off and trying to spend some of their 75billion dollars. Its ridiculously too big with more employees than customers and the layout makes no sense. Perhaps the main goal is to send a message to travelers that Apple has so much money that they can buy a pointless large amount of some of the most expensive real estate in america and not expect to make a profit on the location.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
There are those who say that behind one loose brick in this store, there is a secret passage that leads to a full functioning PowerBook G5.

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Restraint meets Constraint

Apple was a great tenant to get into this space, their approach to retail space ensured that there would be none of the typical retail clutter and their minimalist approach would actually make the the building's architecture the centerpiece.

The LED lighting over the tables is fantastic.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I wonder about the background noise level during rush hour for being able to talk, given the huge amount of reflective surface and thousands of people on the main floor… Even the background of the video is pretty noisy...

Very dangerous to have an Apple store where you are stuck waiting for a train… Impulse buying is much worse, than with the magazine stands or Zarros…

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow what a horrible waste of a historic building.....to put a goddamn Apple store in. I hope zoning closes them down!

Your absolutely right, they should have made it a food court so it would preserve the sanctity of this marble train station. What were they thinking, leasing to a retailer that would increase foot traffic for all of the other shops?

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Feels kinda sad to see an Apple Store without a lot of visitors and customers in it. I'd love to see a new video-tour once the buzz has picked up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.