Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
No matter how you spin it; I applaud Samsung for creating a factory in the US.

I wonder how much (if apple applied a premium on it's products) the prices would rise if Apple had to build and assemble all of it's products here in the US. I wouldn't mind paying more knowing is was all built here in the US.

kaizenmx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2011
You need to check yourself. Apple buys billions in products from Samsung and they make a few billion in profit each qtr. Apple cuts its ties, no more profit...its a slippery slope...also, your rude.
Samsung is already making billions of dollars from other branches of Samsung company. What you are talking about is the only fraction of branch of main Samsung company. In this specific case, we are talking about Samsung Electronic branch. You know, like how Sony corporation is branched to different sub-companies like Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Pictures?

The check Samsung is getting from apple is nothing compared to what they are actually making as of the whole company. Their R&D of the entire company is actually spending more compared to what apple pays quarterly.

Get your fact straight before you start talking...

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do people come here to post primarily as an outlet for their anger issues or something?

Mobile devices have become this strange surrogate for tribal warfare. Mind you I'm not saying to stop, it's bizarrely fascinating...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Whats to keep samsung from copying all the tech for the new SOC and using it in oh.say. a new galaxy tab ?

:D:D:D:D:D

Yap, Samsung needs to copy SOC or processor technologies because they don't have any experience.

I like people making such ridiculous claims thinking the only one that knows nothing about all is Apple.

There must be a good place this bubble, but there are a real world outside

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
:D:D:D:D:D

Yap, Samsung needs to copy SOC or processor technologies because they don't have any experience.

I like people making such ridiculous claims thinking the only one that knows nothing about all is Apple.

There must be a good place this bubble, but there are a real world outside

Yup. Samsungs real good at making their own distinctive stuff.

:rolleyes:

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Am i the only one who thinks its strange that on one side apple is suing samsung snd on the other side they are happy partners and buy displays from them?

If i was samsung, i'd question this deal.

kaizenmx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2011
Am i the only one who thinks its strange that on one side apple is suing samsung snd on the other side they are happy partners and buy displays from them?

If i was samsung, i'd question this deal.

Because apple is simply a one giant troll company.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Samsung can't cancel their contract with Apple, they are its biggest customer. Apple would survive because there is other suppliers they could buy from, but would be a shock in the short run. Long run they can survive, you don't think there are contingencies just in case Samsung decides to slit its own wrists....

Samsung canceling this contract would waive goodbye to any chance to sell anything they produce, lose countless jobs, and wouldn't meet a quarterly estimate ever again. They rely on Apple to buy their products just like they rely on people to buy their own Galaxy products. Problem for them is, Apple's product is in more demand, so if they try to cut ties to gain the upper hand, Apple will find another supply chain and they will just lose out on the easiest money...

Both of them would lose. But what Apple has really going for them right now is momentum of iProducts which would be severely affected with any production issues. Samsung products are more diverse which would make them more flexible as their eggs are not all in one basket. If Apple can get its supplies from others, Samsung could also sell its product to others. Both of them would have work harder though to get the same results.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This will be good for the value of the home I own just down the road... If they need a ton of engineers, they'll need somewhere to live!

It's a lot better than Dell, who has moved out of a few of their North Austin buildings (don't worry, their campus in Round Rock is just fine!)

To be clear, this 'factory' they are talking about is an expansion to the original factory in Austin. They've been making memory there for years now. I don't remember if this is the 2nd or 3rd expansion. I was present at the opening of one of them, but these fabs are so massive and complex, it takes quite some time to get them up and running.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What's with Samsung manufacturing all of Apple's mobile devices and then producing the Galaxy that is pretty well an exact replica (running Android.)

IMO they must make a puck load out of manufacturing... STUFF for Apple. They're really stretching that relationship... no?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
... or like me they simply won't give a rat's ____ about jobs in the USA. But tey'll continue to buy American goods, listen to American music, holiday in America and like the USA/Northern Americans.

Just their instant thought isn't "oooooh a couple of thousand American jobs!!!! How good is that!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You know what is even funnier? If Samsung cancels the contract. Imagine the impact of it on iProducts.

Apple does about $5 to $6 billion dollars worth of business yearly (at least) with Samsung. It would be foolhardy of Samsung to just give it up just to pursue a grudge.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Probably the result of a deal made years ago, before the whole "you stole my design" thing.

kaizenmx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2011
Probably the result of a deal made years ago, before the whole "you stole my design" thing.
They renewed the contract for A6 chip. Which means apple still want to do business with samsung despite the fact that apple trying to troll Samsung with their stupid sueing competition.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009

But anything made by Samsung is cheap and substandard...

I wonder if people here in the forum who swore not to buy anything Samsung would skip the next iPhone and Pad?

You make a good and valid point. It does create a dilemma.

Last edited:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I'm sure plenty of them have some sort of engineering degree

But yeah, what I meant to say is that they should have special consideration for our military men and women

And why? Why should people who earn their paycheck off the adrenaline of potentially killing people, be qualified to work here?

Why not give it to the teachers who the Education Department has laid off? Because at least they care about education, not violence.

Or do you not see a correlation? Because I sure don't see one in your proposition.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
And why? Why should people who earn their paycheck off the adrenaline of potentially killing people, be qualified to work here?

Why not give it to the teachers who the Education Department has laid off? Because at least they care about education, not violence.

Or do you not see a correlation? Because I sure don't see one in your proposition.
This is officially the worst post in the history of MacRumors, congrats.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'm sure plenty of them have some sort of engineering degree

But yeah, what I meant to say is that they should have special consideration for our military men and women

why should volunteers for an illegal war killing innocent lives be given special treatment? they're partially responsible for your countrys incredibly poor economy.

why not give jobs to those that deserve them?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Go Samsung! American jobs, yay! Lead the way with your innovative production capabilities!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Nice to see that SAMSUNG are creating jobs in the US. Shame APPLE cant do the same...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.