Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssussman

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Long since dead? Mine (well, my kids now) works just fine still. Didn't bother sending it in for another 1G, but just ordered the shipping-box after reading this. The 6G seems perfect for working out, I get more space, and I suppose the battery is better

Impressive... I've had many iPods, none where the batt lasted more than 2 years.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
It was the first iPod I ever owned and it actually changed my life.

I remember when nano and I travelled across Europe together...her in her understated white plastic, me in my knickers and sandals. It was our summer of love, and one I shall never forget...

davejonesshaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Still Waiting

Still waiting for mine. I like that a very rich company is sending me a free replacement. But this is part of what is wrong with the USA. The lawyers are wrecking your country. I am from Canada.

I bet the batteries are just fine on most of the units and the ones with problems were probably shorted out by keys or metal gum wrappers in the same pocket. Apple got scared by the lawyers. I bet Apple spends more on lawyers than they do on R&D.

I also think Apple should make their products in the USA. If the government in China goes crazy then Apple is out of business. Very risky.

----------

Hey my 10 year old Mac doesn't work. Can we get a recall going so that I can get it replaced for free with the latest iMac?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'm still hoping I'll receive a first-generation replacement. I'm in Japan, and perhaps they still have those in stock here.

I prefer the shape and size of the first-gen nano over the current version. Plus, it's been my Nike+ companion for the past five years. I logged 15,000 miles with that little gadget.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
#1 - My noting the sound quality reduction, device size over-reduction, and interface complication due to removal of the clickwheel can hardly be cited as "being a baby." The new Nano designs since 1G are inferior for MY purposes, period. GET REAL.

I really don't care if "95% of people" abused or wore out their recalled Nano. Good for them if they want a new one. I used mine almost daily, took good care of it and it was in excellent condition. And it sounded better than a new one, a feature you evidently care nothing about. Call me a 5-percenter.

I am a 5 percenter too. Our's was used all the time still. The form factor and the click wheel were the best.

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
when i signed up for replacement it said apple would send me a box, its been 6 weeks and no box? however it says if i take the pdf page thing to the post office they will scan it and provide appropriate packaging for me to send it? which do i do? wait for the box or go to post office

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
This is AWFUL.

If i'd known they'd replace my 1st Gen with a current model, I would never have sent it in for what I thought would be a replacement battery or refurbed unit with a different battery.

Shudup already!! So get the new unit, sell it for $100 and buy a first gen iPod for $30 once all this dies down. And stop whining. There are kids dying of starvation in many parts of the world. Reality check please

----------

I said many times in the original thread we would get new nanos but was voted down. This was obviously going to happen, much cheaper and easier for Apple to do it this way.

Hands up, I was one of those that shot you down. And I was wrong. And you were right. Still doesn't make sense but hey, Merry Christmas from :apple:

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Hoping I get my running buddy (1st Gen) back

i can't complain but i'm on the fence on how i feel. :confused:

i too liked to run with mine and preferred my 1st gen to a 5th gen that eventually was killed in the wash.

i'm not sure how the touchscreen will be while on a run. sure mine was beat up but it worked fine. being able to navigate without looking was great. just before this came out i was about to send it in someplace for a new replacement battery. i was down to about 4 hours on a charge. hopefully I'll like this new one and can get passed the touch screen.

of course there are bigger issues out there though. if i hate it i'll sell it and grab and old one.

I'm hoping for black or silver. are they giving 2gb nano owners 8gb new ones and 4gb owners the 16gb? any correlation of color, such as white nano owners getting silver and black getting black?

Last edited:

PVguy

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Soap Lake, WA
"As far as the ability to connect physically, the nano 6G still uses the same 30-pin iPod connector as the nano 1G. So it'll fit. Will it work is another question."

My car stereo adapter specifically said it did not work with the video version of the nano. It does work with all the older non-video versions. I'll have to wait and see if it works with the latest nano, which does not support video, after all.

I was hoping to get back a 1G. Almost didn't send it in as it still works, and is in great physical shape, but the battery capacity is way down from when it was new. I'll just have to wait and see what comes back.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I'm good either way. I bought a first gen a few months back on eBay for 15 bucks (the click wheel was broken). I'm now getting a brand new fully functioning model. It's like I hit a very small jackpot.

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
A Christmas Story

Bingo! I've been pending since Nov 24 and just now got "the" email. And the serial number of the replacement unit checks out as a 6th Gen! Thank you :apple: :)

-Buy 1st gen iPod Shuffle at Apple store in San Francisco
-Trade iPod Shuffle for 1st gen iPod NANO 2gb with broken screen
-Buy replacement screen on ebay for $9
-Fix Nano :)
-Enjoy Nano for 2+ years :) :)
-Nano dies :(
-Nano gathers dust for almost 2 years
-Apple replaces broken worthless Nano for LATEST GEN NANO!
-Merry Christmas!
-End of story :)

:apple::apple::apple:

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got my shipping notification today and it's for the new 6th gen one. I am not disappointed at all. It's gestures like these that will keep me buying apple products. Sure it may be easier for them to replace the old products than deal with a class action lawsuit but they are going above and beyond by replacing them with new ones.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
1GB 1GEN Question

So I sent my broken "1GB" not 2 or 4 but the low 1GB.. Has anyone with a 1GB model received a 6GEN 8GB back?

Also is apple only sending silver?

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
replacement product shipped!!

have yet to receive the e-mail and tracking number... guess we'll see!!

manskybook

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
huh?

Bah, crap. I have enough touch-based stuff already. I need a device I can control remotely without looking at the display. Can I sue them for replacing my unit with useless (to me) chunk?

So you can get a replacement for an out-of-warranty iPod, but don't have to if it's still working - and you complain that you want to sue? On exactly which planet do you imagine you'd get a better deal? Maybe Apple can sue you for being stupid? Or greedy? If your iPod still works, use it.

Last edited:

manskybook

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
disappointed?

This is AWFUL.

If i'd known they'd replace my 1st Gen with a current model, I would never have sent it in for what I thought would be a replacement battery or refurbed unit with a different battery. What a ripoff.

#1, the 1st Gen is the ideal form factor for me. I can walk and listen with the iPod in my coat pocket (or even through my shirt breast pocket), change songs, scan back and forth without a glance. The current touchscreen model is useless for that purpose except to change volume. Plus it's way too small to manipulate easily with one hand, even when looking at it (which you have to do). It's a two-hand device. No clickwheel -- you've gotta swipe while looking. And when not looking, be careful not to accidentally swipe when you don't want to. Thanks, Steve!

#2, the 1st Gen Nano and the 1-5th Gen Classic have the best quality audio because they use Wolfson audio chips. All current iPods and iPhones use different audio chips, which have harsh highs and weak lows to my ears, especially with good headphones. Thanks, Steve!

As for greater capacity of the current Gen Nano, I don't need to carry around more than 4GB of music; the 1st Gen Nano was ideal. All Nano Gen designs since the 1st got progressively worse until now it's lost its original purpose.

So, thanks Apple. You sell a defective Nano battery, initiate a recall, and replace the units with a substitute that's inferior in every way but capacity.

/rant

Your iPod was well out of warranty. If you liked it, I'm not sure why you replaced it. I'm not sure how long you think it would have lasted, but every day was a gift. And the instructions clearly said that only a very small number of the batteries had problems. So thanking a dead CEO for generously providing you with an almost-new replacement for an electronic device that may or may not possibly have worked forever without problems seems a little myopic. Blame your poor judgement, or your greed, but don't bother blaming Apple (by the way, how's that old Nintendo working out?).

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Still waiting for mine. I like that a very rich company is sending me a free replacement. But this is part of what is wrong with the USA. The lawyers are wrecking your country. I am from Canada.

Cool analysis, Hansel, but the litigation in question happened in Japan.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I checked the official website, but apparently Korea isn't one of the countries available for selection. Should I just call the service center, or what? I got the iPod in the States, and moved back to Korea not too long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.