Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
My car has an ICE iPod hookup allowing me to play music through the speakers and keep the 1st gen iPod recharged. My understanding is that newer iPods/iPhones/iPads have different power requirements. For example, my iPad2 won't charge in my car.

Does anyone know if the new iPods work with legacy connectors?
Will I lose car stereo capability with nano upgrade?

I have a DICE kit too. I bought it in 2007 and it only charges iPods that support FireWire charging, so not any new stuff. It won't charge a new nano. DICE sells a $40 cable though that charges via USB pins so if you pony up the cash it's not a deal breaker. The bigger problem is that the new nanos are very dangerous to use while driving compared to the first gen.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I still have the original Nike+ iPod sport band (yes it's been washed). The ease of reaching up and pressing a button to pause, next/previous, fast forward/rewind makes me not want a touch screen. I've run using my iPhone, and its not nearly as simple.

The new nano is really nice for running as it's almost weightless. I will agree that controlling the music is problematic ... that is until I got a remote adapter for my headphones. Headphones with iPod remote features will work too.

Single click - play/pause
Double click - skip forward
Triple click - skip backward

If you have good finger dexterity

Double click/hold - fast forward
Triple click/hold - rewind

Using headphone remotes also work well for Nike+ workouts. The single click (pause) will pause the workout and a second single click will end it. You do need to use the screen if you've paused the workout and want to resume it, though.

Stang

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Northern Suburbs, Chicago, IL
Found my iPod nano at a garage sale in the free bin about a year ago. Didn't work, but I took it anyway. Left it in some rice for a week, took it out, plugged it in and it worked no problem. The battery was okay, about 2-3 hours, but was good for a road trip with my car charger.

My case is still pending (Since Nov. 21) but it sounds like I'm getting a free upgrade...definitely getting a watch band for this baby. :cool:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The new nano is really nice for running as it's almost weightless. I will agree that controlling the music is problematic ... that is until I got a remote adapter for my headphones. Headphones with iPod remote features will work too.

Single click - play/pause
Double click - skip forward
Triple click - skip backward

If you have good finger dexterity

Double click/hold - fast forward
Triple click/hold - rewind

Using headphone remotes also work well for Nike+ workouts. The single click (pause) will pause the workout and a second single click will end it. You do need to use the screen if you've paused the workout and want to resume it, though.

Armbands significantly decrease the annoyance of the touch screen nano, in fact, so much so I enjoy using it better than my 4th gen. Obviously personal preference but the arm band makes it much easier to use and move without having to stop and look at it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Armbands significantly decrease the annoyance of the touch screen nano, in fact, so much so I enjoy using it better than my 4th gen. Obviously personal preference but the arm band makes it much easier to use and move without having to stop and look at it.

I agree, but I use my nano 6G as a pedometer (and for running prior to getting the Nike+ kit), so I have to have it on my hip.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Apple sent an email with a serial number for my replacement unit - I popped it into the ID screen here:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

it says it is a 6th gen Nano manufactured the last week of October 2011.

I just got my e-mail from Apple today and mine also says October 2011 production. However, when I punch it into the warranty screen on Apple's site it says it doesn't exist, so I am assuming this will be a legitimate brand new iPod Nano.

Can't beat that. My 1st Gen Nano was a college graduation gift. I had it for about three years and then pulled it out of a bag one day and the screen was shattered. It wouldn't play anymore, and when I plugged it into iTunes it wasn't recognized and it would emit a horrible squeal. I thought the screen was smashed, but maybe it was caused due to the battery issues.

Anyway, I tossed it in a drawer and couldn't convince myself to throw it away. I heard rumblings about potential lawsuits/recalls, so I never threw it out. Then this comes along and I get a brand new current-gen iPod. I love it! I really wanted the new iPod, but couldn't justify the purchase since I already have an iPhone and iPad. Awesome.

Anyone know how long it will take from the notification to the receipt of the product? Sounds like they have been shipping almost next day? That would be awesome too, to have it before Christmas. I've been checking the status every day since November. haha.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Another 8 gig 6th Gen replacement Nano. It will be interesting to see what my wife's replacement will be. Although I like the extra 4 gigs, I really preferred the form factor of my 1st Gen Nano.

I see there are a slew of 1st Gen Nano's from a seller in Hong Kong for $47.99 with free shipping.

puffdc

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
iPod Nano

Just received mine today too. I sent it on Nov. 23rd & got it today, approximately a month. I have a feeling the longer you wait the longer its going to take...

Now what is the best wrist band to get?

ssussman

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
It's here. It's a nano 6G, in silver. 8GB.

The letter reads in part: "In some cases due to limited availability of replacement stock of iPod nano (first generation) Apple may have replaced your iPod with a more recent iPod model of equivalent or better specification."

So that pretty much explains that.

Considering I had the 1GB nano model. I'm pleased.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I was incredibly surprised to find my 1GB Nano (which I bought refurbished off Apple's website nearly 5 years ago) was eligible for the replacement. After the form was filled out a month ago they said to wait for a box. It just came today and after reading this news it'd be a great late Christmas gift to get an upgrade.

MACedonian1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Columbus
Well, I shipped my nano off today at UPS, hope to get a black or silver unit back, the 6th gen looks nice but I might just put it towards replacing my 2g iPod touch...Either way getting a brand new unit back is a pleasant surprise.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Anyone with a 1st gen want to trade me for my 6th gen?

I want to trade my new 6th gen for a new 1st gen! Want to trade with me?

I collect iPods and have one of each model since 2001 in new or nearly new condition. I sent in my prized first gen white nano last month, which had not a single scratch on it, because I didn't want it to catch fire in my house. I assumed I'd get an exact (but safer) replacement and now I sorely regret sending it in.

If any of you happen to have a perfectly flawless white first gen iPod nano (1GB is fine!) and are willing to trade me for my replacement 8GB 6th gen nano, e-mail me and you've got a deal!!

amethystjw [at symbol] yahoo (period) com

Davemd93

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sent my 1gb first gen off on November 18th. Product placement pending since December 1st. Dunno if it takes longer to approve and ship since I live in Ireland but I'm hoping for a 6th gen.

Davemd93

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sent my 1gb first gen off on November 18th and still waiting for the replacement to arrive. Product placement pending since December 1st. Dunno if it takes longer since I live in Ireland but I'm hoping for a 6th gen.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
Quick Question-

We have two of these old 1st gens- 1 works well and 1 does not. Are they both eligible for the new one even though one of them won't even turn on/is probably only good for parts? it's literally fine cosmetically but does not power on. Thanks for any help!

DevixLuvic

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
On top of a mountain
Quick Question-

We have two of these old 1st gens- 1 works well and 1 does not. Are they both eligible for the new one even though one of them won't even turn on/is probably only good for parts? it's literally fine cosmetically but does not power on. Thanks for any help!

I sent in a 2GB one I found in a puddle (only worked through lower voltage FireWire plugins) and am eligible. I suspect yours would be too.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
I sent in a 2GB one I found in a puddle (only worked through lower voltage FireWire plugins) and am eligible. I suspect yours would be too.

lol yeeee. thanks man you made my day. Just realized all I gotta do is plug in the serial number and I doubt they care if it works or not.

shintre

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Mumbai, India
I am from India.
Handed over my ipod nano on 17th Nov'2011 to Apple Service provider.
No news as to when I will get my replacement !
Online status check not available in India.
Has anyone from India received their replacement Nano?

_________________________--
MacBook Pro 15" , Time Capsule 1TB, iPad 1G, iPod Touch 1G, iPhone 4, iPod Nano 1G- Waiting Replacement :)

Last edited:

Davemd93

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.5.1.23995/26.1305; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

boston44 said:
Quick Question-

www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/ this should help :)

Gpsmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
UK
I am in the UK also and am at stage 3: Product replacement pending.

I would like to know what units people are getting in the UK. I was pretty quick to start the program when it became available however Apple only "received" my nano on the 17th of December.

Not sure what gen I would like back yet! :)

Mine appeared to take a long time to get to apple and be received. Also in the UK and mine too was marked as received on 17th Dec, even though it had been posted 29th Nov. I had spoken to Apple last week and they said they had a huge backlog, considerably more people were sending them back then they expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.