Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manskybook

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
battery longevity

I am a 5 percenter too. Our's was used all the time still. The form factor and the click wheel were the best.

So exactly how long do you think a sealed battery would last, and what were your plans to replace it after warranty?

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
So exactly how long do you think a sealed battery would last, and what were your plans to replace it after warranty?

The battery was still holding out just fine even after all these years. But a recall comes up for battery fires and I would rather play it safe because I don't sit there and watch it charge.

And even when the time would come to replace it I would for sure have not got the 6th gen one. I have no interest in the 6th gen.

Changen

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
California
For those of you that have been fortunate enough to receive the word of your replacement coming or have received it. How long did it it take from beginning to end I asked for my box november 13 got it toward the end of the month and when I check my status it says received dec 3rd identified problem dec 3rd replacement pending dec 3rd hasn't changed since.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I mailed off my perfectly-functioning, but potentially "dangerous" nano yesterday. I'm pretty indifferent about getting a 6th gen nano since I have an iPhone that goes everywhere with me.
I wonder if Apple is rebuilding its 1st gen inventory by refurbing the ones that have already been shipped in? Probably not worth the hassle or potential litigation considering how much $$$ they've been making lately. "Free" 6th gen nanos as replacements for 5+ year-old 1st gen nanos is good marketing. It's cheap if it helps build customer loyalty and reinforces multi-touch screens as the future for Apple.

ne0star

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live in the uk and have had 'product replacement pending' since November the 12th. No further update

Anyone in the uk had a despatch notice? Their 6 week turnaround will be up on Saturday for me.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
I just got my shipping notice and checked the serial number. Mine looks like it's a BRAND NEW 6G. Warranty until Dec 19, 2012 and eligible for AppleCare. Guess they've ran out of refurbs of the 6G, too. This keeps up, some of you might be getting iPod touches! ;)

Oh, they received my nano on nov. 23 and shipped the new one on dec. 20.

Last edited:

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live in the uk and have had 'product replacement pending' since November the 12th. No further update

Anyone in the uk had a despatch notice? Their 6 week turnaround will be up on Saturday for me.

Likewise , I really hope we're getting a 6G :) :)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

Ditto. Exact same timelines. To be honest, I am going to give the new one as a present to my nephew for his birthday in February so not in a hurry. If we get the 1st gen back, it goes back in the drawer

----------

Warranty until Dec 19, 2012 and eligible for AppleCare

suspect that's simply a tick in the box error by the system. Enjoy (in as much as anyone can enjoy 'free' warranty)

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2007
I'm in the UK and have been waiting since 17th Nov. Once someone from the UK gets a shipment. Can you let us know what model you're getting?

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Anyone in UK received theirs yet?

I'm in the UK and have been waiting since 17th Nov. Once someone from the UK gets a shipment. Can you let us know what model you're getting?

Same... my repair status has been "Product replacement pending" since November 17th :(

Has anyone in the UK received their replacement unit yet? If so, what was it?

nrushforth

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011

Also in the UK, Been waiting since November 22nd. Will be sad to see the 1G Nano go, but if we get a 6th Gen as replacement will not complain.

Also was wondering if it is a blanket 8GB for all Nano's regardless of the one you sent in. or will they replace 4GB (top end 1st Gen Nano) with 16GB and 1GB/2GB with 8GB? Would be interesting.

ricemonk

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
UK
UK Replacement

I am in the UK also and am at stage 3: Product replacement pending.

I would like to know what units people are getting in the UK. I was pretty quick to start the program when it became available however Apple only "received" my nano on the 17th of December.

Not sure what gen I would like back yet! :)

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
i know someone else mentioned that there was no coverage on their replacement ipod when they checked, forget what page it was on in this thread.

I checked my serial number based off the email apple gave me and my replacement is covered for 1 year and available for phone support for 90 days and it is eligible for applecare protection plan.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I was a little late to the party as it took a couple of weeks for my daughter to find it. Since she got her iPod Touch that old Nano was not ever used again. So mine was sent off yesterday. While I won't complain about a 6th gen, I would be happiest with what I think is the 2nd gen (same size as 1st gen, but has all aluminum rounded sides?). The new ones seem too small for me and all it is going to do is stay in my vehicle hooked to the system, so size won't matter.

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
Bingo! I've been pending since Nov 24 and just now got "the" email. And the serial number of the replacement unit checks out as a 6th Gen! Thank you :apple: :)

-Buy 1st gen iPod Shuffle at Apple store in San Francisco
-Trade iPod Shuffle for 1st gen iPod NANO 2gb with broken screen
-Buy replacement screen on ebay for $9
-Fix Nano :)
-Enjoy Nano for 2+ years :) :)
-Nano dies :(
-Nano gathers dust for almost 2 years
-Apple replaces broken worthless Nano for LATEST GEN NANO!
-Merry Christmas!
-End of story :)

:apple::apple::apple:
mines better

- buy nano for gf for xmas present
- she uses for 2 years
- she then leaves
- nano gathers dust in garage for 2-3 year and possibly lost for part of that....
- recieve envelope and send off
- (eventually when it turns up will be) hello new nano (watch) and goodbye inscription!! :D
- merry xmas from apple

bit of an investment but i think its appreciated now lol

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
mines better

- buy nano for gf for xmas present
- she uses for 2 years
- she then leaves
- nano gathers dust in garage for 2-3 year and possibly lost for part of that....
- recieve envelope and send off
- (eventually when it turns up will be) hello new nano (watch) and goodbye inscription!! :D
- merry xmas from apple

bit of an investment but i think its appreciated now lol
HAH. Excellent work, Pinky.

I sent my wife's in. The Nano's battery had no more juice so she forgot about it. Now I'll need to find a way to explain the new Nano Watch on my wrist. :apple:

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
i'm not sure how the touchscreen will be while on a run. sure mine was beat up but it worked fine. being able to navigate without looking was great.

I still have the original Nike+ iPod sport band (yes it's been washed). The ease of reaching up and pressing a button to pause, next/previous, fast forward/rewind makes me not want a touch screen. I've run using my iPhone, and its not nearly as simple.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

it said "approximately 6 weeks". that was not set in stone.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Just received mine minutes ago. had received an email yesterday at night informing me that it was being shipped and received it this morning. It's a 6th gen ipod nanon, silver and it comes with a nice letter saying the following:

In some cases due to limited availability of replacement stock of ipod nano (1st gen), Apple may have replaced your ipod with a more recent ipod model of equivalent or better specification.

:)

btw, i live in montreal, canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.